First 25 at DTL

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy S

Shot the Saturday registered down at Bisley Gun Club today with Hazel, my wife entering her first reg DTL comp. After the first 50 I had finished with 20 - 58 and a 20 - 57, probably didn't help as there was only 2 in our squad.

We had a break  and went out for the next 50 with John tagging along to complete his 100. Any way shot a 25 - 72 on round 3, well pleased with that first 25 in a comp. For the final round we were joined by another shooter, which probably put Hazel off a bit as she was the first shooter, in our squad leading from peg 3. first target out for me and I missed it completely next one I did exactly the same, gave myself a bit of a talking too and realised that my hold point was a little low for peg 4 so then went on to hit the next 23 targets for a 23 - 66.

Final score 88 - 253 for me and Hazel shot 51 - 143.

Well done Andy.

I am off there tomorrow for a ping...Berkshire Championships and i am seeing a brand new youngster there after talking his mum into bringing him along. 3 medals available for youngsters so i think he will go away with a smile on his face. (If not we have a taking part medal for young shots...but i hope he gets one of the main ones :smile: )

Good stuff Andy,

Now start building toward your first straight 50, and so on.

I also hope to get my first DTL 25 soon (I will need a gun first of course..)

Nic,

I will see you there, not shooting but will be reffing tomorrow, just don't give me too many two's and losses to call........

Well done ! I suppose the first one is the most difficult to get then they will become the norm for you :) Great stuff a milestone reached.

Well done! That first 25 straight is always a bit nerve wracking. Well remember my first one at DTL, I thought that I had missed a target on the first stand but the scorer had seen a chip with the first barrel. No one was more surprised than I was to see 25/75 on my score card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dtl is a mistress, you know you shouldn't but you just can't help going back for more, particularly once you get a 25 then you want 50 etc

Dtl is a mistress, you know you shouldn't but you just can't help going back for more, particularly once you get a 25 then you want 50 etc
Yep! And it's a total mind game, as we have said before, you need nerves of steel to shoot DTL.

Yep! And it's a total mind game, as we have said before, you need nerves of steel to shoot DTL.
too true, whilst reffing 2 weeks ago one of the squad missed their 99 bird completely, nailed the 100th one properly though, He ended up in a shoot off for the overall high gun and ended up losing that as well by 2 points.

There is nothing in the world more annoying and devastating than DTL yes OT are harder targets but you accept a miss and carry on. What other sport demands a maximum score just to get into a final (were talking majors of course) its a bit like having to do a 147 break at snooker, imagine that your down to the pink so your on 134 and miss it you then may as well go home. The mental approach to this discipline is not comparable to any other IMO. I have said it before and I will say it again DTL is a complete bitch.

too true, whilst reffing 2 weeks ago one of the squad missed their 99 bird completely, nailed the 100th one properly though, He ended up in a shoot off for the overall high gun and ended up losing that as well by 2 points.
Sounds about right Andy! DTL nearly drove me mad! Once you know that you are capable of hitting the lot with the first tube, it ends up becoming an obsession to do it every time you shoot it. 

Also very few people have really dominated DTL for any length of time, it seems that they get to a point were they just blow out. Its not that someone comes along and starts doing better scores cos were talking maximum's anyway but they stop being able to consistently put 300's in, I find this most interesting and wonder why that is.

Also very few people have really dominated DTL for any length of time, it seems that they get to a point were they just blow out. Its not that someone comes along and starts doing better scores cos were talking maximum's anyway but they stop being able to consistently put 300's in, I find this most interesting and wonder why that is.
 Yep, I often wondered about that too! Mind you, it seems that trap in general is rather like that, how many OT shooters stay at the top for the same sort of time as George Digweed has stayed at the top of sporting? Very few if any I would guess.

Good point
But I wonder why? There have been guys like Ian Peel, Pete Boden, Pete Croft, Mike Diamond, Michael Carrega, all top notch shooters with great track records, but none stayed at the top for several decades like Digweed has! All a bit of a puzzle really.

Back