Firing pins damaged?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He could do with learning the minimum focus distance for the lens on the camera!

Or perhaps, as suggested, less of the bourbon!

Bored after 5 seconds.....his voice was putting me back to sleep.....doh

Hi all,

I have a 21 year old Browning 325,thats supposed to only have been fired about 300 times,so im told,and ive only put 100 through it so far.

Ok,i was breaking it down today,and noticed looking at the two pins (like two balls that hit the cartridge?),they both seemed very pitted and out of shape..damaged looking.

x
Firing pins on a 21yo gun are like brake pads on a five year one car...if they are worn, replace them and move on. ;)

If you care that much about the Browning / Miroku pitting issue , you could get a pair of pins made up out of titanium.

But frankly it is an over exaggerated issue. I have a Citori that had a pitted bottom barrel firing pin in 1986 , and many thousands of cartridges later it still has the same pin in. 
Dead right Pete, a bit of pitting on Miroku pins is nothing! My 3800 was 23 years old when  sold it, it had over 200K shells through it and the pins were never replaced, just polished up on servicing! Simple and cheap!

Are these worn firing pins causing the gun to malfunction? If not forget about them and batter on... its like changing your cars tyres because you think you might get a puncture. The pins on my gun are burnt and the gun functions perfectly ...do I worry about the pins ... No!

Whilst you can remove and polish them it's just not worth it, new pins aren't expensive. Have them replaced as part of a service.
Yes I think Krieghoff UK replace any part that is worn as part of the normal service and within the service price.

But when I am in the stand, my mind is calm knowing that the tip of my pins look like new. I can't stand any form of dirtiness or fault with a gun. Years of race car preparation programmes the mind.

But when I am in the stand, my mind is calm knowing that the tip of my pins look like new. I can't stand any form of dirtiness or fault with a gun. Years of race car preparation programmes the mind.
Well I like your style there Will........ :biggrin:

Polished shot cartridges too! :)

Polished shot cartridges too! :)
That's such a pain though John........I mean taking all them little balls out of each shell and polishing them ,one by one, by hand is SO time consuming!!!!!   :laugh:

You could always get a hammer and a punch and pre dent every primer cap, that way the pins will last forever i would only recommend doing this in a vice with cartridge facing down as we all know toes grow back. :p

But seriously if the pitting is troubling your mind change them one less variable in the mind game that is shooting.

(Disclaimer. I do not condone any action described in this post or fluffy rabbits that may arise)

So Will,  If you shoot with a group, do you all practice the day before, to determine the shooting order on the Competition day ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So Will, If you shoot with a group, do you all practice the day before, to determine the shooting order on the Competition day ?
No; random pulling of cards blindly. But I always end up first! Conspiracy.

Well it's a shame you can't use some of that programming to park your car straight.

If it's working ok, don't worry too much. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Is my motto! When it starts to misfire get new firing pins.

So you have the inconvenience of having a shoot ruined by a failing gun? Prevention is better than cure..

Back