Failure to enter your card

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea but I need a lie down after that.
When I saw the scores for Southdown were up and noticed that the person was missing I had a quick check on the CPSA website for them.  Came up as no member late on Monday.  They were there again today though.

Can't believe that someone would go to those lengths to avoid a poor score affecting their averages.

ETA. I fancy moving up to A class, maybe I should try it myself.  Trouble is it would look like I'd only shot twice during this issue period. 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the scores for Southdown were up and noticed that the person was missing I had a quick check on the CPSA website for them.  Came up as no member late on Monday.  They were there again today though.

Can't believe that someone would go to those lengths to avoid a poor score affecting their averages.

ETA. I fancy moving up to A class, maybe I should try it myself.  Trouble is it would look like I'd only shot twice during this issue period. 🤣
or they could have re-joined on Monday having lapsed membership.  I am being generous.

Here in the 'States, if you are an NSCA member, you are required to "register" your targets, and cannot shoot "hunter's class/birds only."  How they actually enforce that, no one knows. 

We had a group of 5 shooting at Southdown on Monday. 3 of us were comp and the other 2 were Birds Only. They gave in their cards and their names are on web site.  I just thought Birds Only meant you didn’t get put into the prize fund. A friend of ours did accidentally go home with his score card once and the Cpsa phoned him, he apologised and said he could send the card in or photograph it and send them the photo which I think they accepted.  But going back to Monday, I saw a few people shoot and their names are not on the Cpsa website at all either. 

It’s never clarified properly, especially to beginners. There are in fact 3 types of entry at each shoot and if I ran a ground it would be clarified as so:

Competiton entry (CPSA member, scores registered obviously and eligible for prize money)

Targets Only (AKA Birds only. This if for CPSA members. Score will be registered but no prize money on the day applicable).

Practice card. (Usually this is for any non CPSA member, but the question of whether a CPSA member should be allowed to buy one is an issue. Certainly mustn’t buy one then return for a competition entry). 

I'm surprised that any of you would GAF.  Fame and fortune in amateur shooting is a unicorn.  If a card is binned then that person is out of any prize list for that shoot as well.  And if they're looking to maintain a higher class assignment then how does that affect anyone else or the potential prize lists at future shoots in any negative way?   And how many shooters are actually doing that?

So who cares?

A few of my mates don't bin cards but they deliberately miss targets if their score is getting bad to drop it out if the 10% below cut off for adjusted targets. They are just desperate to be in AA for the bragging rights and to attract sponsors.

Sad really, and not something I would entertain doing.

All of this would fall in what is called here the "target management" approach to shooting.  And all of that again goes back to the essential theory and practice of classifications - a topic well whipped to death on this forum a number of times in the past.  I'm certain that my and Mr. Hewland's conflicting opinions have not changed on that either   :hunter:

Last edited by a moderator:
As a totally average shooter at best, this whole subject just leaves me slightly dulled as it seems the people in question have forgotten what sport is all about,... especially when I would presume that none of these score massaging tools are likely to have it mean anything other than enhance the ego in their own head.

Like sunday league footballers who act like they're in the prem.

IT'S A BIT OF FUN AND ENJOYMENT,... GET OVER YOURSELF! 😄

A few of my mates don't bin cards but they deliberately miss targets if their score is getting bad to drop it out if the 10% below cut off for adjusted targets. They are just desperate to be in AA for the bragging rights and to attract sponsors.

Sad really, and not something I would entertain doing.
No it makes sense why i see some ridiculously low AA scores!

In Scotland you are allowed to scratch cards. 

I personally would never bin a card. 

Its not that important to me. 

Passed willy waving at the check in desk about what class I am in a while back.  

In Scotland you are allowed to scratch cards. 

I personally would never bin a card. 

Its not that important to me. 

Passed willy waving at the check in desk about what class I am in a while back.  
I'd have to agree it's pointless binning cards, if they fall below the 10% threshold they'll (rightly in my opinion) not be counted towards your average anyway and if they're well below your average then surely most people will understand that you simply had a trash day. 

Having said that it IS important to me that I shoot to the best of my ability but not to the point I'd kid myself by manipulating my cards to stay in a higher class that I deserve, at the end of the day there's no point "achieving" AA standard and then not be able to shoot average scores that reflect that. 

It's like cars. Unless you own a veyron or equivalent, you'll only ever b as good as you can be so no point kidding yourself.

If you buy a porsche, the next bloke will have a ferrari, the next a lambo... so where do you stop playing chase the ace and just enjoy what you've got?! :)

Having said that it IS important to me that I shoot to the best of my ability but not to the point I'd kid myself by manipulating my cards to stay in a higher class that I deserve, at the end of the day there's no point "achieving" AA standard and then not be able to shoot average scores that reflect that. 
A common happening here is a refusal in handicap yardage reductions for ATA shooters.  They're too propagandized to accept that the whole handicapping system is bogus from inception and let themselves be promoted to a level where they are incapable of being competitive and then fight to maintain that "status".  IMO ATA shooters are the most demented collective I've ever associated with and that includes some fairly demented ones  :startle:

I'd have to agree it's pointless binning cards, if they fall below the 10% threshold they'll (rightly in my opinion) not be counted towards your average anyway and if they're well below your average then surely most people will understand that you simply had a trash day. 
I don't shoot sporting and not in England. I'm trying to understand the 10% thing. So if you are an elite shooter, and shoot below 10% of your average, or is it the average for the course that day/competition? Then that score doesn't affect your average? 

That doesn't make sense to me. In what other sport are you allowed to have an off day. In all other sports your results counts, no matter what. There might be a reason for that rule, I, in my ignorance of the sport, just can't see it. 

All of sudden I'm happy to shoot a game where there is 3 refs, and all your competition scores go towards your average/ranking. And you can't forget to turn in a card, it is turned in for you. 

Lars

I don't shoot sporting and not in England. I'm trying to understand the 10% thing. So if you are an elite shooter, and shoot below 10% of your average, or is it the average for the course that day/competition? Then that score doesn't affect your average? 

That doesn't make sense to me. In what other sport are you allowed to have an off day. In all other sports your results counts, no matter what. There might be a reason for that rule, I, in my ignorance of the sport, just can't see it. 

All of sudden I'm happy to shoot a game where there is 3 refs, and all your competition scores go towards your average/ranking. And you can't forget to turn in a card, it is turned in for you. 

Lars
If you shoot 10 rounds of clays in a year and average 80, you take 10% from that, 8% so any scores below 72 then don't go into your adjusted average. So only scores of 72 and above would count from those 10 rounds for your adjusted average, and that would then be somewhere slightly higher than 80.

So, if a person enters a registered shoot, does a round "birds only" then after getting a practice round can they then go back and register and do another round?  it all seems a bit odd to me, surely your score should represent a true average of your abilities, if not your only kidding yourself.

recently at a fifty bird a guy joined our group,didnt want to put his card on our board as in his actual words ...I cant massage the no.s that way, he was/is a good shot, but I noticed on two stands where he missed two birds on each ..oh no I got them..marked down as a full house, I mentioned to one of the other guys..oh ye I noticed it as well on several stands.

Whats the point? he is only kidding himself,  I see no point in it.

so when I see him next and he says I got xxx will I believe him, not a chance.
I've seen this happen in the old CPSA Clubman series which ran in my local area for B, C, and unclassified shooters.

All the shoots were self scored so completely open to abuse, I witnessed one person miss 5 on a stand and miraculously turn in a score of 66/70

I've seen this happen in the old CPSA Clubman series which ran in my local area for B, C, and unclassified shooters.

All the shoots were self scored so completely open to abuse, I witnessed one person miss 5 on a stand and miraculously turn in a score of 66/70
Woody on here used to run a shoot that was in the Kent and Sussex Clubman League for a few years.  He'll vouch for the number of people that put in scores much higher than they actually hit.  The phrase, "you took the paint off of that" got trotted out regularly. 

I recall standing behind a couple of blokes and watching 3 clearly unbroken clays sailing away, but his mate telling him that he'd hit a nine as he was leaving the stand.

I think we have all had targets where due to the second being so fast we have asked the scorer did I hit the first one, but to say or write down a false score is only making a fool of your self, cant see whats to be gained at all, most everyone has good and bad days .

I have seen a couple blokes, did I hit that ? the other ,ye ye, so embaressed that I turned around to see the guys in the queue behind me just shaking their heads, blatant cheating, and this is just a local straw bale type thing, no winnings paid out?   I geuss narcasism gets the better of them🤡.

Latest posts

Back