England Selection and S E inter counties ESP 100 Targets and 100 STR Southdown gun Club 20th ,21st April

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stand 9 was very tricky but it could have been shot side-on as a crosser (the mini target). Most people I watched missed it in front and up the left hand side and to be brutal the sun at 13:00 was not really an issue, if you had dark glasses you should have been fine. I was expecting a much tougher course seeing it was a selection shoot, Paul Thomas's 95 on Saturday was an excellent score.

That doesn't sound too good Hamid especially as it was your first time shooting for the county, must have been very disappointing for you. £41.00 entry ???? OUCH!!

That makes for a very expensive day with cartridges, travelling and food.

Makes Greenfields look like good value for money.

Stand 9 was very tricky but it could have been shot side-on as a crosser (the mini target). Most people I watched missed it in front and up the left hand side and to be brutal the sun at 13:00 was not really an issue, if you had dark glasses you should have been fine. I was expecting a much tougher course seeing it was a selection shoot, Paul Thomas's 95 on Saturday was an excellent score.
Kevin Howland's 96 was even better and took High Gun!!

If you took the driven mini as a driven,you were set for the r-l crosser. If you tried shooting the driven as a l-r crosser,then yeah you'd have to spin round.....but it's not meant to be shot like that. I nailed the mini each time and found the crosser on the last pair......serious leeeead.

Just got back from what could have been a very good shoot marred by the dreaded stand 9 :huh:  , 3 away on stands 1 to 8 so I was shooting quite well, managed only one away on 12 as well but sorry to say 9, 10 and 11 were poorly thought out in my view. All three featured two hard targets plus looking into the sun as well ! I dropped 7 x 8 on stand nine and found out my eyes aren't able to look into the sun directly :hunter:   :fie:  , you had two hard targets here, one a mini rather high tower target that couldn't be seen period and then had to turn 90 degrees left to shoot a very fast distant R/L crosser that you couldn't see till out of sweet spot ! To top all this the same stand broke down all the time, took me over an hour to eventually shoot it. Four hours drive and £41 to enter as well, 9 defo ruined a good day, hope I never have to suffer the same anywhere. Congratulations to Kevin Howland who shot a class 96 on Saturday.
bit of local knowledge required m8 looks like you shot there at the wrong time of day ???? guns who shoot there regular seem to do very well ?

We were not aloud to shoot mini on stand 9 as crosser! Not a bad day for me happy as got my best ever score ! Hit 80 on Saturday :) was a good day

If you took the driven mini as a driven,you were set for the r-l crosser. If you tried shooting the driven as a l-r crosser,then yeah you'd have to spin round.....but it's not meant to be shot like that. I nailed the mini each time and found the crosser on the last pair......serious leeeead.
I had dark glasses on and a cap (not that it made a blind bit of difference looking up into the sky) and simply could not see the mini (why couldn't this have been a standard ?) as an incomer so had to spot shoot it as it flew off into the trees beyond, this of course wrong footed me for the second very hard bird as well. It just doesn't make sense to present birds this way on a two day shoot, if you must throw birds on stands that are known to be affected by the sun then it makes sense to throw low stuff I'd have thought?

ps. I am not about to plan my life around the movements of the sun :D  . 

bit of local knowledge required m8 looks like you shot there at the wrong time of day ???? guns who shoot there regular seem to do very well ?
Spot on clynt.

I didn't read the board and thought it was a midi, hence missed all in front but had all the crossers.

The target was fine and loads of time to shoot if the sun wasn't there, it could / should have been changed before the shoot started.

Apart from that it was a good  .

We were not aloud to shoot mini on stand 9 as crosser! Not a bad day for me happy as got my best ever score ! Hit 80 on Saturday :) was a good day
Really? Shame you didn't get the CPSA to give you a classification as an 80 would have been miles clear in C class. Ah! Or was that in the Sportrap?

Last edited by a moderator:
No was in the sporting clever ! I know how gut wrenching should be collecting £100 :(

Shooting taken a big jump after Essex masters learnt a lot there :) how u get on this weekend ?

No was in the sporting clever ! I know how gut wrenching should be collecting £100 :(

Shooting taken a big jump after Essex masters learnt a lot there :) how u get on this weekend ?
That's a huge step forward, well shot. (I did OK at Weston, scraped a class win, but I think everybody else had an off day..)

Shot
Sport trap for the first time, some sloppy shooting cost a few here and there, one layout was a bit beyond me in all honesty and scored poorly.
Overall thoroughly enjoyed the day in good company and fine weather which is what its all about. Also shot the pool shoot with a Kreighoff and really liked it (thanks Bob).

I had dark glasses on and a cap (not that it made a blind bit of difference looking up into the sky) and simply could not see the mini (why couldn't this have been a standard ?) as an incomer so had to spot shoot it as it flew off into the trees beyond, this of course wrong footed me for the second very hard bird as well. It just doesn't make sense to present birds this way on a two day shoot, if you must throw birds on stands that are known to be affected by the sun then it makes sense to throw low stuff I'd have thought?

ps. I am not about to plan my life around the movements of the sun :D .
I know what you mean,but having a 25yd driven standard is hardly acceptable as testing for a selection shoot. We shot it around the same time as you,as I passed you around stand 10,you were walking down the track as we were coming back up.

I was shooting with 2 good AA shots,the first guy had shot 7 stands straight and then on the mini,hit 1/8 (wearing a hat).....the next stepped up and hit 7/8....(without a hat),so they were there to be hit,regardless. I took them directly overhead,18inches....boom! And was set perfectly for the crosser,just couldn't get into my head.....keeeep swinging...until the last bird!

ps. I am not about to plan my life around the movements of the sun :D  . 
Don't know what you're worrying about Hamid you were part of the winning team!! :nyam: :nyam:  Kent beat Essex & Hertfordshire by 9 points. Kevin took High Gun, Ronnie Green took Colts and James Attwood has got to shoot off against Jack Lovick to decide Juniors.

Great result for the county!! :haha: :haha:

Yes it could be shot as a crosser which would have been my plan B but early Saturday the scorer insisted it must be shot as a driven. We first heard this from a very irate chap who was quizzing the old boy ref who wears the Deestalker (don't know his name but lovely bloke) about why they set such a rule. When we returned to the clubhouse someone said there never was such a rule and the scorer had misunderstood Shaun P's instruction that he didn't want it shot as a duck. Subsequently later in the day (when the scorer had been re briefed) you could shoot it as a crosser without getting pulled up for it.

Anyway can't get em back now and I might have missed it as a crosser anyway, but it's fair to say that you've got more chance of hitting a target if you can see it.

Its forgotten now - onwards and upwards!

Don't know what you're worrying about Hamid you were part of the winning team!! :nyam: :nyam:  Kent beat Essex & Hertfordshire by 9 points. Kevin took High Gun, Ronnie Green took Colts and James Attwood has got to shoot off against Jack Lovick to decide Juniors.

Great result for the county!! :haha: :haha:
A real shame you didn't enjoy you first County shoot Hamid,  it was a first for Ronnie to do a BIG shoot on his own yesterday as usually he shoots with Kevin Howland and the team which adds to the enjoyment of the day for him but he still loved it, recovered well after a few bad stands then shot a straight on the last one / stand 12. Ronnie found it hard as some tricky bird were set by Shaun and he ended up on 73/100, then shot 79/100 on the sportrap and then 23/25 on the pool shoot.  That boy would shoot all day if I could afford it  :crazy:  .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back