Does it work the other way?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robden

Normal method I believe is, focus on target and when the site picture of the target, with the berrels in the periphery is correct, the brain says "fire."

What if, focus on the barrels and when the site picture is correct with the target/clay in the periphery?

I haven't tried it, was just wondering really.

I'm sure @EdLyonswill have the answer but I'm not sure you would want to rely on your peripheral vision to calculate distance and speed. Predators have eyes at the front for a reason.

Proper gun fit to ensure the barrels are pointing where you look means you don't even really need to focus on the barrels, just the target.

Something that’s puzzled me when I’ve overheard people talking about leads they are seeing suggesting inches rather than feet which suggests they are seeing lead at muzzle rather than out at the target which I believe is what is most common not criticising because I’ve seen good shots shoot either way. Never asked but can anyone see it both ways.?

I never see lead. In fact sometimes I don't even see the clay or barrels, or why I pulled the trigger. Just a ball of dust/powder. Mind you, it also goes the other way. Sure I'm on it.......and miss.

Yes does tend to work when we get it right, no matter what the system was. It's repeating it that's the problem 😂

An old discussion. I’m betting nobody who is a AA / AAA shot will say they don’t see lead. I do have a AAA mate who describes lead in inches (I.e. observes from barrel to target, not vice versa) but he is not the norm. He also holds the gun quite weirdly. These talented folk will always do well, but it doesnt mean we should follow their lead. 

An old discussion. I’m betting nobody who is a AA / AAA shot will say they don’t see lead. I do have a AAA mate who describes lead in inches (I.e. observes from barrel to target, not vice versa) but he is not the norm. He also holds the gun quite weirdly. These talented folk will always do well, but it doesnt mean we should follow their lead. 
the experts i shoot with  all describe lead differently      but i see lead  as the gap between barrels and clay   ie   if a clay needs 3ft  i physically i see 3ft gap out at the clay end  to the barrels        probably why  i am stuck in B class     🤐

Normal method I believe is, focus on target and when the site picture of the target, with the berrels in the periphery is correct, the brain says "fire."

What if, focus on the barrels and when the site picture is correct with the target/clay in the periphery?

I haven't tried it, was just wondering really.
Have you ever tried to catch a ball when looking at your hand? Give it a go and then try again but look at the ball, think this experiment will answer your question 

Have you ever tried to catch a ball when looking at your hand? Give it a go and then try again but look at the ball, think this experiment will answer your question 
I love this old quote it’s used all the time yet has zero relevance to shooting.

if u don’t look at or see the barrel you are fighting a losing battle  

I love this old quote it’s used all the time yet has zero relevance to shooting.

if u don’t look at or see the barrel you are fighting a losing battle  
But I can be aware of the barrel without looking at it, just as I am aware of where my tennis racket when playing tennis  ,but I am watch the ball or watching the clay. Both of which I am trying to hit. 

But I can be aware of the barrel without looking at it, just as I am aware of where my tennis racket when playing tennis  ,but I am watch the ball or watching the clay. Both of which I am trying to hit. 
Again a sport that cannot compare to shooting sports. 

shot placement and the barrel are the key to modern day shooting 

some birds you look directly at the bead and there is no clay 

I might be a bit of an odd case or not, but both the barrels and the target are in my periphery vision. I place the barrels at my hold point then move my focus out to the clay. Once clays at my hold point and gun is in the shoulder move my focus to where I want the barrels in relation to the target. Then I just move my eyes with the target for a spell and then move my focus and stare at a patch of air a relevant amount away from the clay with the target and barrels in my periphery vision, seeing the lead in feet.

Not sure how I do it, or if its normal, just something my body started doing naturally when I was about 17 out the blue. Used to close one eye and use the bead for reference, all of a sudden one day my brain told me to open both eyes and just stare into a gap in front of the target. Was a very surreal experience. I've tried explaining it to a few of my shooting mates and they can't wrap their head round it, just the way my brain wants to work.

An old discussion. I’m betting nobody who is a AA / AAA shot will say they don’t see lead. I do have a AAA mate who describes lead in inches (I.e. observes from barrel to target, not vice versa) but he is not the norm.
I'm just a novice but that's how I see lead. Without a point of reference in the sky it just makes sense to me to observe the sight picture as 2D and measure from the barrels to the clay laterally.

I'm also dyslexic, and regularly use b, p and d's in the wrong place because my brain perceives these all as the same 3D shape and pulls the wrong one out. 

So it's a funny old game!

I'm just a novice but that's how I see lead. Without a point of reference in the sky it just makes sense to me to observe the sight picture as 2D and measure from the barrels to the clay laterally.

I'm also dyslexic, and regularly use b, p and d's in the wrong place because my brain perceives these all as the same 3D shape and pulls the wrong one out. 

So it's a funny old game!
Sure, you should see the clay and the barrels to establish the gap. However it’s all about whether you are FOCUSSING on the clay or the barrels (you will SEE both regardless). So, as it’s important to focus on the clay not the barrels, I think it’s best to judge the lead at the clay not at the barrels. I.e. X feet “out there” where your focus is, not X inches “back here” as focussing on the barrel is usually a problem-causer. But there is definitely some personal preference and it can be done both ways of course. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back