Detail over Contrast…

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased my first ever prescription shooting glasses. In theory, both Boots and Specsavers could supply but only with their existing sunglasses frames and neither had any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned impact resistance, tint options or polycarbonate. No blame for either company as they supply prescription sunglasses all the time, it's just that shooting glasses are such a small part of the business that the staff have no experience.

After some fannying around I ordered from Optilabs. A good start was that they actually answered the phone - unlike their main competitor - and they clearly knew what they were doing as they answered my questions very well. I also thought that if they're good enough for Becky McKenzie then they're certainly good enough for me.

No regrets at all, decent price, <2weeks delivery and amazingly bright and clear view. I recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to stump up silly money for the top brand.

p.s. I went with the ProVision frames which are exactly the same as the Zeiss Sport ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah admittedly Specsavers of course are clueless about shooting, so you have to look after yourself to a degree. You have to prod them to see colour options and what they call “Ultradrive” is what I call a 40% yellow lense. They also have a bright yellow, a grey and a few browns. (Maybe others too..) I would avoid the grey as it kills contrast. You need to get a frame that you figure will work, with an adjustable nose rest, then show them that the glasses will sit higher than usual on your nose (for when you drop your face on to the gun) so they can set them and indeed put the centre of the prescription a bit higher in the lens perhaps. As long as you appreciate all that it works well (for me).

Last edited by a moderator:
On 3/28/2022 at 9:05 AM, Hermit said:

Thought I’d share this YouTube video.

Some really interesting information and very well made. 

Would love the opinion of our resident expert, @EdLyons??

Hope you all enjoy over a brew.

H

I’ll have a watch!

Latest posts

Back