CPSA General Rule

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot a comp for the first time for years as Targets only this weekend.  I like comp but not to fund what are esentially Professional shots.   

Also, why does everyone  have to pay a levey if there's a county champ shoot on that your not competing in? 

It seems illegal  as your being asked (or rather held for ramsom) to pay for something that by definition can't benefit from. 

This week it was a neighbour county shoot. The shoot ran exactly as any other week but more just more expensively for those with no interest in that county champs.

"Also, why does everyone  have to pay a levy if there's a county champ shoot on that your not competing in?"

It is the only way that counties get Any income,they are not supported financially in any way.

Effectively HO are getting the counties/regions to do their work for them without paying as all representatives are volunteers.

No levies = no county/regional trophies,prizes,etc

Isn't the levy ~£2 at a county shoot? That's that 3 or 4 practice clays and the cartridges to shoot them with.

It goes to a good cause, it supports the grass roots level of competition in the sport. 

Isn't the levy ~£2 at a county shoot? That's that 3 or 4 practice clays and the cartridges to shoot them with.

It goes to a good cause, it supports the grass roots level of competition in the sport. 
So it's a donation to a charity then. 

cost is irrelevent. Actially the price increase was £5 at that event.  So what's aceptable as a non negotiable contribution?  £2 , 5, 10, 20.

I get your point but who agrees this stuff?  

Last edited by a moderator:

cost is irrelevent. Actially the price increase was £5 at that event.  So what's aceptable as a non negotiable contribution?  £2 , 5, 10, 20.

It's down to the county to decide the amount. I think as a county we (Glous) charge about £2/3?

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/files/download/General--Tech-Rules/97

"The same entry fee (whether ‘prize’ or targets-only) must apply to all participants at all registered events. Any levies applied by official County or Regional Committees must be charged to all entrants."

Last edited by a moderator:

If it were a donation to a charity we would be registered as such,we are not it is a levy (impose a tax, fee, or fine) applied to county/regional championships.

It has been this way for years,it is a tiny amount and does not make us a fortune if you do not wish to pay it don't shoot the competition....simples

Although there are some that believe that birds only is a pox on competition shooting there are those of us who believe it has rescued a lot of shoots from folding.

For some the extra £5 'given away' on a Sunday into a fund they have no chance of winning nor for that fact desire to participate in would be a step too far and would keep them from shooting that shoot. Ground costs, including refs, clays and other overheads ( even a little strawbaler could have £40k or £50k of equipment lying in a field ) are covered and spread over the b/o entries too.

This is an amateur hobby for most shooters, I'd propose banning prize monies all together! ( And yes I have collected a couple of hundred quid in prizes )

'But you get to shoot with the worlds best shooters for free' Really? I have been at several shoots where top shooters have been, If I wanted to study their form I'd do better to pay a £5 access/spectators fee and follow them round because I think in 4 years of shooting I have been on a squad with a world class shooter perhaps twice. I'm intelligent enough to know that really good sportsmen are enough 'in the zone' to tune out everything during a competition, not the least of which is giving free tips to the 'competition'.

Nimbusgb there is some credibility to the "but you get to shoot with the worlds best shooters for free" they do zone out during their performance in the stand but most will engage in between stands and I have had some very helpful advice from many exceptional shots during my time shooting- not whilst in the stand but before or after including GD who is very happy to engage whilst not actually shooting at least I have found this to be so.

You'll notice I said 'could' have. Setting up a shoot these days will cost you a wad of readies.
Yes small strawbaler = 5 stands = 10 traps won't be new so max 800 quid each container,clays,etc maybe 12,000-15,000 grand and could probably be done for 8.

You would be lucky to have equipment of that value on a 100 bird reg with brand new traps

Back