CPSA Classifications -why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Can anyone explain why half of the disciplines (as denoted by the CPSA) use A to D for the specific classes (sensible) while the other half use either AA to C of even AAA to C? What next AAAA!

What on earth is wrong with D as the bottom classification in all disciplines?

Just wondering, that's all :)

DT

In sporting, AAA is only recognised at major events such as British Open etc.  At a standard Reg shoot, AA and AAA are effectively one class. I'm not sure how this evolved, but it does represent a difference to some other disciplines.

Everybody started with A,B and C classifications. In the 1960s there were no Sporting averages but DTL and ESK had developed AA category because the whingers said it was too hard to win money in A class. The first Sporting averages in 1974 when the maximum registered targets by anybody was 300 had ABC. This was also the first year that D class appeared in international disciplines. By 1976 AA had appeared in ESP for the same reason. FSP developed a D class in 1998.

good post from the ever dependable Mr oracle.

ps

classes bah and tosh :)

And I thought it was all down to the availability of letters in a can of Alphabetti Spaghetti?

good post from the ever dependable Mr oracle.

Everybody started with A,B and C classifications. In the 1960s there were no Sporting averages but DTL and ESK had developed AA category because the whingers said it was too hard to win money in A class. The first Sporting averages in 1974 when the maximum registered targets by anybody was 300 had ABC. This was also the first year that D class appeared in international disciplines. By 1976 AA had appeared in ESP for the same reason. FSP developed a D class in 1998.
Thanks Fred. Knew I could rely on you.

So I assume rather than introduce D class for DTL/ESK and effectively demote everybody a class, they went with the full ego massaging option and introduced AA instead :rolleyes:  

You live and learn :)

DT

Can anyone explain why half of the disciplines (as denoted by the CPSA) use A to D for the specific classes (sensible) while the other half use either AA to C of even AAA to C? What next AAAA!

What on earth is wrong with D as the bottom classification in all disciplines?

Just wondering, that's all :)

DT
and it looks like they'll be introducing AAA class in DTL soon. Quite rightly in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the way the World is going? You can only invent a higher class than before for fear of upsetting the egos of those concerned. Who would want to be D, E or even F class? The shame of it? But C Class or above - well that sounds kind of comfortable doesn't it?

When I went to school the highest you could get in your O and A levels was an A. Now it's A*, or maybe even A*** by now? But a C is still a pass? Work that out.

Even Football had divisions 1 to 4 but now have a premiership, the creation of a new elite but without downgrading the lower Divisions.

It is almost as ridiculous, and in some ways reminds me of this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

I don't mind sand bagging in d class at Sporting seems to work for lots of people in other classes  :wink:

and it looks like they'll be introducing AAA class in DTL soon. Quite rightly in my opinion.
out of interest how many dtl elite do you think would attain aaa and what should cut off be.

genuine question

out of interest how many dtl elite do you think would attain aaa and what should cut off be.

genuine question
Good question

Well, based on last classification period rankings there are 200 shooters nationally with an average at or above the current cut-off for AA of 95.5% and 54 shooters with an average above 97% but only 17 shooters with an average above 98%.

So 97% sounds about right to me. Trouble is if you spread that across the whole country's DTL shoots on any given weekend it is unlikely you will ever come up against another AAA class shooter so easy class money (if you are a AAA shooter) :)

In reality they really need re-jig the current cut off points so the top 100 shooters by average go into AAA In which case the current cut off point would 96.4%

But what do I know.

DT

You don't have to decide how many. It's merely the top 5%, which decides the cut off point and the number of shooters.

In sporting, they take the top 5% of all shooters who have done a registered shoot. Look on the rankings page, it should add up.

Just had a look. In the last period 1774 people shot Reg dtl. (Really? Can't they sleep?) So that means 87 shooters would be AAA if the class existed. Maybe a few more because the cut off works out at 96.6, which about 10 are tied upon.

Latest posts

Back