Classification System

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I thought that's what we have got, skeet comp skeet classification. Sporting comp sporting classification
Indeed we have, what I was suggesting was changing how those classifications are worked out in a more discipline specific way :)

Edit, just had a brain wave. For instance, those that have shot a 100 straight in a skeet major get put into a "pro class" for the majors only (a bit like AAA in sporting) so the big guns fight it out amongst themselves and the lower end of AA class get a shot at the class win. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to shoot a lot of F-class rifle competitions,  a discipline that could be likened to the formula 1 of long range scoped rifle shooting.  as a general rule, there was never any prize money, and even if there had been, it wouldn't have scratched the surface of people's expenditure.  competitve shotgun shooting is way cheaper.

anyway, the point being that despite there being no prize money, people still bent the rules and pushed the boundaries at every opportunity.  it's human nature for some people to cheat, unfortunately.  so taking the prize money out of the equation would do little to change things in my opinion.

there was also no classification system.  if you wanted to win, you put the work in or fell back on natural ability......

For what it's worth I wouldn't worry too much about averages , you are in a class enter the shoot and bloody enjoy it !!!!!!!!

I see so many people on my shoots and others have their day ruined because they think of an average which don't mean a lot on shoots week in week out

Shoot what is there enjoy it be happy and you will probably find these bloody percentages will go up !!!

Went to the police shoot at Grimsthorpe a few weeks ago, shot reasonably well for me but only did a 66, 93 was HG. Should have done early 70's really.

Chap said to me there, don't be too dissapointed with your score, achievement should be measured in how much you've enjoyed yourself!

Seems I have no idea how to work out averages .:

CSP A

ESP AA

STR A

FSP B

So nothing really changed!

Do you folks ever use Lewis Classes.  It's a common side bet here at most shoots.  I have always liked it since there are no assigned classes, you just shoot the best you can and hope.  A lot like a flyer shoot hahaha  Not impossible to game of course, but harder FWIW  Generally noticed is that shooters engaging in "target management" avoid any Lewis Class participation.

http://www.shootforthefuture.info/lewis.html

Never heard of that system but having read the rules it sounds very interesting.

The Lewis system is only used in NSSA skeet in the USA, we do not use the system here in the UK. 

Indeed we have, what I was suggesting was changing how those classifications are worked out in a more discipline specific way :)

Edit, just had a brain wave. For instance, those that have shot a 100 straight in a skeet major get put into a "pro class" for the majors only (a bit like AAA in sporting) so the big guns fight it out amongst themselves and the lower end of AA class get a shot at the class win.

Do you folks ever use Lewis Classes.  It's a common side bet here at most shoots.  I have always liked it since there are no assigned classes, you just shoot the best you can and hope.  A lot like a flyer shoot hahaha  Not impossible to game of course, but harder FWIW  Generally noticed is that shooters engaging in "target management" avoid any Lewis Class participation.

http://www.shootforthefuture.info/lewis.html
' target management '  I like that , what a great phrase .

Calling someone a target manager would be better than calling them a cheat :)

The Lewis is used by anything here.  I don't think I've ever been to a shoot of any kind that did not have a Lewis purse.  Been around a long long time.  Recently one club in SoCal has been having Lewis only shoots and they have be getting progressively larger entries.  No registered nothing but still a purse draws many shooters who could GAF about registered targets and classes.

here's how they do it

rsp_2012_160539.jpg

I think this is from the first one

"Redlands Lewis Class Shoot Report

We had great weather, some really good shooters and lots of fun and money. 42 shooters braved the 75 degree, no wind, sunny day to do battle on the trap line. We shot 3 events. First event was 25 targets at the 16 and then 25 at the 21, second was 16 & 24 and the third was 16 & 27. After each event we took the top 5 scores in three Lewis classes and shot off for Champ and Champ R/U. We then totaled the three scores and shot off the HOA. 34 out of the 42 shooters qualified for at least one shoot off and 18 different shooters received a check and 6 won twice.

As usual, the Redlands staff did a great job. Competition at the top of the First Lewis Class was tough with Logan Mountain, reigning state single and doubles champion, Brett Nunnally, reigning state HC champ, California HoF members Terry Bilbey and Phil Ross plus another 7 State Team members competing. But, it was good to see Joe Dillard get in a First Lewis Shootoff and collect a Champ check for $97.50.

Competition in the Second and Third Lewis Shootoffs was intense too for those checks. In total we paid out $1,420.00. It just goes to show that with the right format you don’t have to shoot a perfect score to win a nice chunk of change."

Something a club or a grounds could use to stir some interest and maybe make a couple $.

just a thot

Charlie

Logan mountain !!!!

Why do we not have such cool names in uk :)

I like the Lewis class Charlie. They always used to use that system in Holland at the Dorhaut Mees Parcours de Chasse GP. I do not know if they still do it...because I have not shot there since it going onto steel.

Yeah, there are sometimes some strange names here.  I believe a good part of it comes from the immigrants passing thru Ellis Island having a non-whatever ethnic group the immigrant might be attempting to transliterate a name to "english".  But then, Mountain is just a big Hill and there are lots of those around England I know since that is where mine came from hahaha  And then, Montagna is not an uncommon name at all and there were LOTS of Sicilians found their way to the US. 

Just for the record, I think Italian names are totally the coolest.  I mean, Giuseppe Verdi or Joe Green?  No contest.

JMO of course hahaha

Charlie

Latest posts

Back