Chicago - diary of a D Class shooter - Day0

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

Still feeling jet lagged from yesterdays journey, but after a good nights sleep thought we would go and have a look at the ground today. Managed to get the hire car ok, and the sat nav found Northbrook Sporting Club easily enough. We were parked in an area a few hundred yards from the clubhouse, and they were operating a shuttle to the with a fleet of golf carts.

The first thing you notice is the scale of the place, clubhouse is huge, more like a country club than a gun club. Still loads of work going on, marquees, staging and the suppliers areas were very busy. Second thing is the friendliness of all the people we met. Everyone said hello, and once they heard our accents, were very keen to ask us where we were from, what shooting we do etc.. Made some friends already:)

There's about 15 skeet and trap layouts in a line, one of which had some five stand running. It cost us $30.00 for two rounds of 25 and 50 cartirdges. We went and signed on to shoot, and found out there was a 90 minute wait. One of our new found friends saw us hanging around and asked if we would like to shoot skeet with them. So we enjoyed a very pleasant round of NSSA skeet with some good company. Todd Bender (every skeet shooter will know the name) was giving lessons, so we hung around and watched for a while, hope some of the magic came our way.

Off to shoot the five stand with a largish group from Australia and the Venezuelan team behind us in the queue. It was all a bit too busy, with a few people getting up tight over not being able to shoot 100 straight through.

Unable to sign on today, but the tent will open tomorrow morning at 6:30 . We,re shooting at 11:00 in one of the 100 bird prelim sporting comps. So will probably get to the ground early, pick up cartridges and have a coffee or two.

Will try and update when I can, just got the WiFi working in the hotel, so a promising start. Now to find somewhere to eat tonight - laters

Sounds like your having fun, Shot Wylye today not quite the same. Best of luck for tomorrow,

Mark

Still pretty warm at the moment, but not in he eighties like last week. Forecast is for a little rain tomorrow, it was very humid though,

so maybe the rain will feshen up the air.

Bob,

I hope that you have a fabulous time there. Congratulations on getting yourself organised and out there early to acclimatise.

I hope that you do indeed find and make new friends there, I hope that many of them enjoyed their visit to Gloucestershire & Oxford last week for the Worlds.

Enjoy your holiday, shoot to the best of your ability and I am sure things will be fine.

Keep us updated please.

Just got up & looking out into the hotel car park. A huge SUV has turned up overnight, big trailer on the back with a shooting buggy on a trailer. Gun racks in place of the normal golf bags, impressive, & I want one )

Good luck bob, enjoy! And wait till you get to the main event, the gear they drag around is unreal!

Just got up & looking out into the hotel car park. A huge SUV has turned up overnight, big trailer on the back with a shooting buggy on a trailer. Gun racks in place of the normal golf bags, impressive, & I want one )
This thread is useless without pictures Bob ;)

Will try and get some pics in the coming days. We are parking up in a satellite car park, with buggy rides to the club, so a bit reluctant to drag the tablet around with us, especially in the rain. Managed to get even more buggy envy today, one of the guys we were shooting with rocked up in a diesel 4x4 camo'd buggy. Awesome bit of kit, he'd driven 10 hours from Arkansas to get here, they certainly do it in style. Will start another thread with todays commentary.

As a final postscript, came back from practising at Southdown today to find an intriguing envelope on the mat, containing :

post-74-0-77239500-1346531149.jpg

Attachments

• dollars.jpg
    dollars.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
Back