Chicago diary - day 1

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

So first shooting day today, Wendy & I shooting the cheddite cup, one of the 2 100 bird prelim sporting rounds. Started with a bit of breakfast in the hotel, they've got an automatic fresh pancake maker in the lobby. So lot's of button pushing and eventually got a couple of pancakes that were really quite good.

Off to the ground quite early, some persistent light rain all the way, which we're told is the first for some time. Found the registration hut after a bit of a search. It's right next to the "house" where they shoot Sportrap from. Yes, a two storey building with stands out the back, ground and first floor are heated so they can still shoot sportrap through the winter from indoors. Cool :)

Signed on OK then a few coffees while we waited for our lift to the red course. Very nice wooded area, 13 stands in total all manned by young students who had done the refereeing course recently. All very pleasant, many shaking hands and introducing themselves by name. Targets were moderate I would say, nothing too distant, a few very deceptive flight lines that caused some trouble here and there. Only two other shooters on the squad with Wendy & myself, a US AA class shot, and a Venezuelan who spoke almost no English, but smiled a lot.

I shot quite well for me, finishing on an 80 ex 100 and leading B class when we left, quite a few shooters still out there, so not expecting it to stand up for long. Wendy also shot well and enjoyed herself, the AA guy finished on an 83 so I was happy with my score.

Will try and get some photos tomorrow didn't want to get the tablet wet today, should be dry from now on.

Fantastic Bob! It'll be fascinating how good an 80 in B works out....it'll also be interesting how far down the class gets paid and what that is!!

Spent 30 mins typing up my day 2 report, then lost it all. So this is cut down version, as I'm now losing it with Android. Will keep adding to this thread in case I lose it all again.

Looks like I've been pipped to the win in B class for the cheddite sporting comp, but by myself in second place. All my new American friends tell me that I should get a few dollars.

We shot the Kolar Cup today, another 100 bird prelim event. Beautiful course in woodlands, followed by a few stand overlooking a steep valley, plenty of stuff below the feet. I thought it was quite tough, compared to yesterday, a bit more speed and distance, a bit reminiscent of Wylye. I ended on a 73 which I didn't think was good, left quire a few out there. Did my normal trick again of killing the first two pairs, then losing oneor more in the remaining couple of pairs. To my enormous surprise I was joint leader when we left the ground, so a possible second cash.

Managed a few piccies, but trying to take pics in full sunlight with a tablet is not very easy. Will post in a seperate thread after this one.

Beginning to see a few familiar faces around the place, Had a brief chat with some of the guys we met up with in Portugal plus a few Brits we see around the Fitasc shoots.

Nearly forgot to mention that Wendy had a gun malfunction on the last stand, couldn't open it, and still had a live cartridge inside. One of the guys on the squad fiddled about with the trigger group, and it appeared that a small screw had dropped out. Wendy finished the stand with my gun, and to my relief missed a few, otherwise it may have been very expensive:) Took the gun straight to the Berette stand, where they fixed it immediately, all for free. Very impressed.

Tomorrow we will be shooting some Five stand (Sportrap) in the afternoon, and maybe a practice parcours in the morning. Opening ceremony and cocktails in the evening, then the fun really starts on Thursday.

http://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-74-0-87758800-1344985905.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-74-0-77204300-1344985953.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-74-0-24155000-1344985985.jpghttp://www.shootclayforum.com/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-74-0-45617200-1344986032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20120814_205901.jpg
    IMG_20120814_205901.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120814_210952.jpg
    IMG_20120814_210952.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120814_211447.jpg
    IMG_20120814_211447.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20120814_202930.jpg
    IMG_20120814_202930.jpg