Check your shells

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

A little incident yesterday morning, opened a brand new slab of shells (Victory Compak 24g 9's) put 4 boxes in my bag to shoot the "warm up" 100 reg skeet at Nottingham. I shoot using a pouch with 2 sections. the back section I keep 4 or 5 spare shells for no birds and I tip a box into the front section.

While I'm waiting to shoot I get 2 shells out and hold them in my left hand ready to go and generally fiddle with them. I did this on one of the pegs and noticed that even though both shells in my hand were green and had the same length brass, one of them looked slightly different. On closer inspection the odd looking one had different printing on it and was in fact a 36 gram 7 !!! had I used this it would have obviously disqualified me and also given me quite a shock in the recoil department.

I can only assume that this was a change of production run and the 36g shell had been left in the packing machine as it was a sealed slab and box and I dont shoot 36 grammers for the live stuff, let alone in a 7.

Moral of the story, check your shells are what you think they are as you are loading them, just in case :)

I would have used that for the second bird of the pair on 4
Ha ha, would have probably stuck me on my back not being ready for it :( I dont mind shooting 40g 3's when Im ready for them but when you're expecting a 24g push and you get a 36g hammer its a bit disconcerting :lol:

I had two half filled boxes in a slab of Olympics on Sunday. Luckily nipped back in the shop to be replaced.

20 missing.

That's why the price of cartridges have gone up. Quality control.

That's why the price of cartridges have gone up. Quality control.
As an aside...Very pleased with the price

Garlands £154/1000

Thanks to Steve and Ally for the extra £4 off the 1000 price.

Will shop there for my shells in the future.

I have had Fibre and plastic wads in the same box of Pigeon cartridges. luckily I spotted it as otherwise I could have lost the shooting rights on this particular piece of ground.

Friend of mine had the same thing happen at a fibre wad only ground. Unfortunately he didn't notice but the referee on the first stand did and promptly disqualified him. As he only buys fibre wad cartridges there is no way that it was his fault.

Interesting stuff - I've never thought to check my shells...  if I pour a box of shells in my pocket or pouch - I might not look at them again... don't think I have ever had a problem... - but who knows!

Fuz, i Was using Vic compak 9s over the weekend no probs can you remember if that small red tape that the shot size is printed on was intact on the individual box? As the slab might have been resealed after some one tried and replaced the cartridge?

Good thing about Eley Superbs, you can see through them although I probably wouldn't notice if anything was off with a shell, esp if it was a bigger load, just stick em in and pull the trigger! Will start to check now though...

A little incident yesterday morning, opened a brand new slab of shells (Victory Compak 24g 9's) put 4 boxes in my bag to shoot the "warm up" 100 reg skeet at Nottingham. I shoot using a pouch with 2 sections. the back section I keep 4 or 5 spare shells for no birds and I tip a box into the front section.

While I'm waiting to shoot I get 2 shells out and hold them in my left hand ready to go and generally fiddle with them. I did this on one of the pegs and noticed that even though both shells in my hand were green and had the same length brass, one of them looked slightly different. On closer inspection the odd looking one had different printing on it and was in fact a 36 gram 7 !!! had I used this it would have obviously disqualified me and also given me quite a shock in the recoil department.

I can only assume that this was a change of production run and the 36g shell had been left in the packing machine as it was a sealed slab and box and I dont shoot 36 grammers for the live stuff, let alone in a 7.

Moral of the story, check your shells are what you think they are as you are loading them, just in case :)
You have to watch those c class shooters ..........very competetive they'll do anything to win !! Heard a story once about a shooter changing the pellets for chewed up paper in two cartridges ,then sold them to another shooter  who went out and unbeliveably shot a hundred straight , when asked , he said 'no' changed my mind about the cartridges ,so sold them to another ,who walked through the door saying he could'nt  believe he missed two targets !!!!!!

Fuz, i Was using Vic compak 9s over the weekend no probs can you remember if that small red tape that the shot size is printed on was intact on the individual box? As the slab might have been resealed after some one tried and replaced the cartridge?
yep red tape was intact and all the plastic was nicely folded as it usually is on Compak slabs.

Spot the difference :D they look damn similar if you are just pulling them out of a pouch or pocket and loading.

WP_20130507_002_zpsb0c5a9f3.jpg

WP_20130507_001_zps54ebcae3.jpg

WP_20130507_006_zps830ca17c.jpg

Latest posts

Back