Changing Guns for a new season

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve recently changed gun (well, it’s being made as we speak). 

I changed not to add clays to my card. I changed after meeting the Rizzini family that make the guns and getting so much insight in to the process; I instantly feel a lot more connected to the finished article rather than just getting something off the shelf. 

It was also a chance to get a made to measure stock and an upgrade in atheistic from my previous gun. 

The gun journey seems to be a fairy well trodden route that ends in 3 popular destinations... Krieghoff, Perazzi or a Miroku Mk38. 

Already (to me) an interesting thread , but it is throwing up some interesting comments such as :-

17 hours ago, Salopian said:
As the clayshooting season draws to a close, how many of you are considering a gun change and why?

Take Guerini for example, wonderful sponsors and a great help to Amber Hill and Brett Winstanley but are Perazzi guns really better than Guerini?

Is a Krieghoff Parcours really at least five times better than a Miroku, which is what it shares many features with?

1. Absolutely not, I'm already lucky enough to shoot the best gun available. What may thet be please Jan ?

2. Yes, that's that's why they choose them. Really ? are you that convinced and how do you justify 

3. Yes, but whether the average shooter will benefit is another matter. I think you may well be deluded Jan , but there is no accounting for taste

Finally how on Earth can Krieghoff justify charging so much for a plain engraved matt black action ? Customer demand?

Interesting thread and up until quite recently a very pertinent one for me as an habitual gun swapper - I’ve been shooting about 7 years now, and in that time spent more than I care (dare?) to remember on this process which includes models from all the major brands apart from Perazzi, Kreighoff and Zoli.

For me personally I just feel like I’ve got to the point where (a) I know when a gun feels/balances right (b) when it fits and shoots where I want it to (c) when it does what it’s meant to and doesn’t have reliability issues (d) it ticks my aesthetic/pride in ownership boxes and finally (e) the realisation that slinging another couple of £k on another gun probably won’t buy me another single target.  

For 2-3 years now I’ve been shooting the same brand/gun and for the first time feel very settled with what I’m shooting and not even had the start of an itch to swap. I know the gun can take me further than my ability can, so I have no desire to change but I do plan to shoot as much as I can over winter (weather permitting) in readiness for next season. 

1. Absolutely not, I'm already lucky enough to shoot the best gun available. What may thet be please Jan ?

2. Yes, that's that's why they choose them. Really ? are you that convinced and how do you justify 

3. Yes, but whether the average shooter will benefit is another matter. I think you may well be deluded Jan , but there is no accounting for taste

Finally how on Earth can Krieghoff justify charging so much for a plain engraved matt black action ? Customer demand?
1. A Krieghoff, obviously.

2. Better quality = more reliability = peace of mind in competition.

3. See the above answer.

1). No not considering changing gun - as i already have the gun i want to shoot with long term (K80).

2). Attraction to purchase that gun was, desire to own the brand, mechanical triggers and functionality with tubesets.

3). Is it any better? well i shoot more consistently with it in my chosen discipline - but ultimately i don't care, i like it and i love shooting it. 

The above said a large lottery win would see me do two things.....

1). Visit Ulm and have a bespoke K80 made for me.

2). Visit Wisconsin and have a bespoke Kolar made for me. 

Why? - because i could and i have a desire to do so. Kolar sold me the day they hosted me for 3hrs on a factory tour even though i have zero intention of buying one at that point in time. 

That's just right at laughable

Those guns are prolly fitted to the persons to about  0.01mm not to mention a special polish using the ..................  well, you know
Oddly enough not so, GD was famous for quoting he picked a gun up from the racks and made sure he liked it enough then just learned to shoot it, his later sponsored guns were no doubt made to his spec but having shouldered (and even had a few shots with) one of his very early Perazzi it seemed just like a thousand others I have picked up. RF is said to have followed a similar pattern and once wrote that the stock on his CG was the first custom measured one which leads one to believe he must have won his many titles not to mention Olympic Gold with fairly standard furniture save for the obvious such as LOP or cast etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
fairly standard furniture save for the obvious such as LOP or cast etc.
LOP or cast or etc is what constitutes a custom stock IIRC.

his later sponsored guns were no doubt made to his spec
And I suspect that few shooters at the beginning go for the fitted gun right outta the gate.

So just what is it that you're trying to say that is contrary to my earlier comment?  It seems as tho you agree.

And I suspect that few shooters at the beginning go for the fitted gun right outta the gate.

So just what is it that you're trying to say that is contrary to my earlier comment?  It seems as tho you agree.
Didn't George win a Beretta World with a gun he just took off the shelf because his broke on the day?

I’ve had a touch of cast added and my length of pull adjusted I wouldn’t class it as a custom stock though.

To me a custom stock is made from scratch to those specs not adjusted afterwards.

I’ve had a touch of cast added and my length of pull adjusted I wouldn’t class it as a custom stock though.

To me a custom stock is made from scratch to those specs not adjusted afterwards.
So its a customised stock.

customize

ˈkʌstəmʌɪz/

verb
past tense: customised; past participle: customised

1. modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.

Not really, I've had a few mm added to LOP by putting on a new thicker pad, wouldn't call that customisation  :)  and regarding cast what I meant is that a half experienced person can shoulder a gun and pretty much tell whether the cast is right "enough", it'll never be perfect in every sense every single day, much depends on tiny variations in how puffed up you might be from the night before or small changes in ones weight or indeed how poorly one sometimes mounts a gun on a given day. I have also usually had guns fitted with adjustable combs which allow a certain amount of cast fiddle room (and more besides if you know what you're doing), again hardly customisation.

What I call truly custom is a gun that through SHOOTER input and EXPERIENCED gunsmith knowledge has its timber made from scratch to take into account everything including grip shape preferences and subtleties such as pitch. GD and as far as I'm aware RF have both won dozens of titles without such niceties. 

Would count adjustment as customization.

I have a shortened stock,  also with an aftermarket adjustable comb, rolled up roof lead in the stock and an aftermarket pad. I have not however, been to Portugal,  I am sure that if I traded in my gun that no dealer would class my  gun as standard.

Damon

don't think the clay season is coming to a close , I shoot as many week as the weather will permit usually only heavy rain stops me

if you have a gun that feels right stick with it save money and get lots of practice

I only change guns if I have to

don't think the clay season is coming to a close , I shoot as many week as the weather will permit usually only heavy rain stops me

if you have a gun that feels right stick with it save money and get lots of practice

I only change guns if I have to
People will always want rather than need something more desirable or different and there’s nothing wrong with that.

everyone is entitled to spend their hard earned on what they want so I don’t see any need for people to justify it with “it will improve my scores etc”

If you want golden chickens and nice wood why not, life’s too short.

I short-cut the process.  Went from battered old DT10 to Parcours.  I did it because I wanted a nice gun - not because it would make me better, but just because I wanted one and I'm in the fortunate position that I could afford one.  That's it, I don't intend changing again and hope to get another 30 years use out of it (if I'm still shooting at 80). 

Although, I have just seen that they are now doing one with a black action that is fairly plain, which is more to my taste.

https://www.krieghoff.co.uk/standard-black-shadow.html
I couldn't agree with you more Bebo

I have always liked nice guns but let's have it wright the Parcour may seem expensive but not compared to meny  game gun's 

Ps

And the Parcour can be used for game and Clay's 

Just saying" cheep"

Dave

George has extra cast put on his perazzi every year.

That's just right at laughable

Those guns are prolly fitted to the persons to about  0.01mm not to mention a special polish using the ..................  well, you know
George has extra cast put on his perazzi every year.

Some really interesting comments so far .

What makes someone desire a certain brand of gun when what they already have is exceptional and reliable ?

( Yes, I have made lots of mistakes)

For instance , a Zoli is undoubtedly a very well made gun , purchased by many , but so far unsuccessful and it appears unloved .

Krieghoff , desired by many , horrendously overpriced , possibly the ugliest gun ever manufactured and  unreliable , yet people will risk bankruptcy , and give their child away to get their hands on one.

Krieghoff , desired by many , horrendously overpriced , possibly the ugliest gun ever manufactured and  unreliable , yet people will risk bankruptcy , and give their child away to get their hands on one.
Only the last part about the child would be criminally insane.  The rest is merely simple insanity.  I understand that it runs in some families.  Salopian is to be admired for his courage in making such a statement, embodying as it does so many opinions not shared by all here, but certainly by all who have the ability to make those assessments.

Well done, lad. 

Thank you Wonko .

Giving their child away was an exaggeration , but trying to emphasise the lengths some people will go to get what they desire.

But why?

Is a change of brand so desirable and are they so necessary?

I know I bang on about Miroku , but look at the value for money you get with one .

The Browning Pro -Trap is a really exceptional piece of kit and I would not be surprised to see it win any competition if put into the right hands.

Remarkable value for money when pitched against anything else .

Back