Browning 12 gauge B725 Pro Trap High Rib

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
take it from me (and many others) the hunt for the holey grail of guns is futile, frustrating and expensive.

just saying

I don't wish to get too technical here as i'm mindful bigmac1 just wants to give trap try but please remember raising or lowering the comb height WILL NOT alter the point of impact. All it will allow is a better view of the target from a more head up position.
I think I made that clear in my post in as much as the reference is to see the target over the gun. That will allow you to shoot the target while having full eye contact on the target. But as an aside the truth is you can use any gun you want to shoot what every discipline you want you will adapt your shooting to better break the targets. Lets not get into a great debate, they have been done to death, BUT as Ian says if you in any way use your barrels as a reference point in the course of shooting the target the higher comb will make you shoot higher.

yep its the old thing of setting gun to were your looking. With a very flat gun ie very little rib seen you tend to look around the gun and the poi is generally 50-50 Imo this is the easiest way to shoot as there are no variables. If you ramp up the comb even if you think your not looking at the gun it will shoot high which is good because ramping the comb up does in effect detach you from the gun and makes you look "out" above it which is were your new poi is. The problem with this set up Imo is that you are weather you think it or not aware of the fact and "can" subconsciously shoot the arse off everything. I remain unconvinced of any "real" benefit of seeing lots of rib and if its better vision you are striving for one would be better with a flat set up on a high rib.

Lets not get into a great debate, they have been done to death, BUT as Ian says if you in any way use your barrels as a reference point in the course of shooting the target the higher comb will make you shoot higher.
It won't for reasons I've explained on several occasions in the past and, frankly, can't be bothered to regurgitate. It's all on Gunlore if you want to read it.

As far as the original post in concerned, my advice is give trap a try using your existing gun (probably a sporter). Fiddle with the comb height if you wish. If you enjoy it and want to go down that route buy a trap gun (i'd avoid the high rib jobbies). Don't make an expensive investment for experimental purposes though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, tried my Ultra today at Oakedge on some going away (Like Down the line) and with no adjustment to the stock I shot (5 pairs) for a 10/10. I pre mounted the gun this time. Thank you all for your valuble and helpfull advice. I am going to keep my ultra and use it on trap and sporting.

Well, tried my Ultra today at Oakedge on some going away (Like Down the line) and with no adjustment to the stock I shot (5 pairs) for a 10/10. I pre mounted the gun this time. Thank you all for your valuble and helpfull advice. I am going to keep my ultra and use it on trap and sporting.
A very wise decision ... no money spent and good results hope it continues.

Latest posts

Back