British Open Sporting 2011

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, he was smoking the Super Partagas lasy night! It was one of the ones that I gave him in Orville. Superstitious, he only smokes my cigars when he wins!The Lone Canadian,Henry

Well, What an event! Good weather for all four days, ground in superb condition. So what did you think?I saw George shoot a few stands and I have to say he was absolutely awesome, focussed, confident, concentrating on the job in hand, but pleasant, jovial and looking very fit.In his own words 'not bad for an old, formerly fat person, good course though, enjoyed it tremendously, and I will ask you which stand would you be confident of straighting again? 'So guys, what do you think? Would you have tackled that course with fixed 3/4 & Full choke? Many did.Personally I think Modified (Half) was enough for everywhere.Also surprisingly I think you would have found some tougher targets at any of our usual shooting grounds.Tom Jones & Dave should be congratulated on setting a course that was relentless in being tricky but not impossible.It takes a little sobering thought to realise that if you had shot your socks off and only dropped one on every stand ( how I wish) you would have been down to 105, also how about 'B' & 'C' class 100 & 99 respectively.What are your thoughts on Hodnet, is this the revival of English Sporting Clays?

Salopian - I didn't shoot it (my cock up, forgot to book before going on holiday - then too late) - but all reports I have been hearing are in line with yours. I spoke to George D on his way home, and he was very complimentary about Hodnet and the target setting - and also the overall organisation. I have not seen any serious complaint yet about the whole event.I'm definitely going to have a trip up to Hodnet based on the reports I have heard - and I'm planning to shoot more of the big events next year, if only to be there reporting for ShootClay.

So George has put away the pies slimmed down then? Not seen a recent pic of him but he was bloody huge, too much so.

I had the pleasure of shooting on George's squad on Sunday and the pressure of being on the peg before him - he made it look effortless. I'm taking up DTL!!Fantastic shoot though - if I hadn't spent so much going last week, I'd definitely go back for the re-shoot and have another pop.

Its a bit of a trek for me... so I'd have to make a decent trip of it - outing anyone?

Well done to George. Glad so many had such fun. It is a really good ground and always has been.I was suprised about the back numbers. In international shooting they are essential for the ref to allocate the score to the number on the master card. Abroad they are not the joke that they are made of here. They are also a handy way of putting a name to a face (re your competition) often I would look at a persons number, if I did not know them, and then look for the name on the master scoreboard. Don't be worried about forgetting that you have your back number still pinned on thought. Loads of people do it. It is just a piece of paper and is forgotten about once it is applied. I always fold over any advertising before pinning it on...... so that just the number shows (many sponsored shooters do this). I also keep all mine and pin them in the barn as a reminder of the shoot. Several people wear a spare pair of glasses on head for a quick change should the conditions change. It saves buggering up the squad whilst fiddling about in a bag looking for 'the other pair'. And the light is totally different during the day........ More noticeable for trap shooters especially abroad when compared with here. So everyone shutting down for winter now? Or are we having a webbysite day out........ Meet and greet :) :) ?

We've had one meet up already Nic.... 4 of us had a pop at some fun targets locally on Saturday.... and there is more - Valley View on Sunday this week may have a ShootClay posse in the house.

Back