Bigger Prize Fund....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot german style, no classes until the fat lady has sung,

Then for ease of reckoning, 300 entries = 100 per class....  no sandbagging unless you are very clever, ...

Shoot german style, no classes until the fat lady has sung,

Then for ease of reckoning, 300 entries = 100 per class....  no sandbagging unless you are very clever, ...
yeah, lottery prize fund...why not just give out raffle tickets?

OK, no classes, Pay out to 10th place.......

Cant see many ground owners agreeing...

Classes get entries, which means more shoots...   No classes and you will get loads of club level shoots and not a lot else....

I can't really see what the problem is

with the class system !!

you shoot to whatever your ability and then get put in a class based on 

these scores yes you can fiddle it a bit by shooting soft shoots but that's 

just not doing yourself any favours 

you might be able to stick your chest out for a while and spout off how good you are but it will bite you in the Ass in the long run 

Are we saying we want someone who's in c class been shooting for a short while going in with the big boys  ?? Doesn't sound right to me 

keep it as it is and give everbody whatever class there in a chance of win when they shoot well 

Example a young lad has been shooting round a bit with me only joined cpsa in Dec has had three pick ups in c class one a win allready 

so what's wrong with the system ? 

in short the system penalises a good shooter who puts a credible score in but wins diddly because he is in a certain class. Seems to me that the only class worth being in is the lowest one.

C, B and A all work quite well. You start at the bottom or middle of each of them and have your time in the wilderness. Then you progress and make hay. I won a fair bit in my last year in A class. AA is a different matter as there is no limit to how good the top people in the class are. They never get moved upwards, so it's a tough gig unless you can become an exceptional shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will, the majors, when AAA kicks in is where AA really get their chance to shine...I'd say class wins at any of the majors is a serious "stick your chest out moment" no matter what class, but AA more than A/B/C!!!?

C, B and A all work quite well. You start at the bottom or middle of each of them and have your time in the wilderness. Then you progress and make hay. I won a fair bit in my last year in A class. AA is a different matter as there is no limit to how good the top people in the class are. They never get moved upwards, so it's a tough gig unless you can become an exceptional shot.
I know what you are saying Will and at the moment I'm there or there abouts at most shoots and have picked up a bit of money since November onwards which hasn't made me rich but I've invested every bit back in to shooting be it towards entries, practice or fuel.  

I would though, swap any of that to be shooting at a AA level wether I was winning or not, just to be competing at that top-level would be a privilege for me which is why I'm aiming that high.

Yes, separating AAA and AA is actually what most shoots need. I know the averages are close, but it's diminishing returns and AA to AAA is a bigger jump than A to AA.

I agree totally with Dan though. It's about shooting and getting as high as you can. VERY few people make a serious hole in their shooting budget with winnings. Just got to take it as a perk when it comes. I got £5 at a shoot a while back for joint 3rd in AA. There were good shooters there. Made my day! 

I know what you are saying Will and at the moment I'm there or there abouts at most shoots and have picked up a bit of money since November onwards which hasn't made me rich but I've invested every bit back in to shooting be it towards entries, practice or fuel.  

I would though, swap any of that to be shooting at a AA level wether I was winning or not, just to be competing at that top-level would be a privilege for me which is why I'm aiming that high.
Dan 

After meeting you at gunsite last week and you saying how you would rather shoot a harder shoot regardless of Score 

Also ploughing any winnings into fuel cartridges etc nothing's guaranteed in life but belive me when I say your attitude to succeed will stand you in good stead and I'm sure you will reach your goal ?

Yup, highlight of my shooting career so far was winning A class and being 3rd overall in a Scottish team selection shoot last year...felt great walking out to pick up that envelop!!! ;)

Dan 

After meeting you at gunsite last week and you saying how you would rather shoot a harder shoot regardless of Score 

Also ploughing any winnings into fuel cartridges etc nothing's guaranteed in life but belive me when I say your attitude to succeed will stand you in good stead and I'm sure you will reach your goal ?
Thanks Pete

I'm still learning really, but I think I'm doing the right things by using a good coach which has been the best thing I've done, practicing on quality (registered type) targets, getting to as many grounds as possible, and not setting my expectations too high ie I know at the moment an 85 would be a brilliant score for me. 

I do try and watch what the top shots do and I've had advice given to me which I always take on board; Mark Marshall gave me a bit of help today, how stupid would I have been to ignore him? 

Yup, highlight of my shooting career so far was winning A class and being 3rd overall in a Scottish team selection shoot last year...felt great walking out to pick up that envelop!!! ;)
3rd overall is a great achievement james

Thanks Pete

I'm still learning really, but I think I'm doing the right things by using a good coach which has been the best thing I've done, practicing on quality (registered type) targets, getting to as many grounds as possible, and not setting my expectations too high ie I know at the moment an 85 would be a brilliant score for me. 

I do try and watch what the top shots do and I've had advice given to me which I always take on board; Mark Marshall gave me a bit of help today, how stupid would I have been to ignore him? 
Dan Answer very stupid 

mark is a top shot / coach 

and hasn't got where he has by Chance 

As I say your attitude approach is very good and that's what will get you where you want to be !! 

that is certainly the correct mindset.

indeed I do it seems poles apart from trap. I just need to shoot really cak for a bit (which wont take much trying) then I can roam around the country shooting a slightly less cack score but still cack by comparison and win huge amounts of cash whilst I stick two fingers up to a couple of dozen better scores than mine who win begger all for there endeavour and who by now are wishing they had remained slightly more cack than they currently are. This all makes perfect sense to me ..... Not.
i do belive he's finally got it. Welcome to the world of sporting.

have woken early this morning with an excitement to go shooting, apart from sat morning beating or game I admit not having felt excited about saturdays of late. Um I think I may be getting into this esp, now weres me wellies

My two pennies worth...

i think the question is how much are we as shooters prepared to pay into a prize fund...

A Registered shoot is £5 a head, and the ground puts in the HG and also (in my experience from running the entries puts a bit more in to make up the class funds)

A shoot like the Essex Masters can supplement its prize fund by the sheer number of entries (1800 last year I think compared to maybe 150 at a Reg) and also usually has sponsors that chip in

Steve started the ball rolling with a suggestion of a shoot that would cost £375 to enter but with big prizes, albeit in the main paid for the shooters than enter paying maybe £220 (and that is just a guess on my part) into the prize fund

I think what Don is suggesting is a shoot that means the shooter contributes £50 into the prize fund and therefore has a larger prize fund and an ability to pay out to lower down the places.

For me it's great when you win class...but it usually means you are about to go up and then come nowhere for the next 6 months! But that does give you a lift and motivation to continue along your journey.

I also love big shoots like the Essex where you just might do well and get a really good prize...or the Worlds at EJC where although it is a bit on the pricey side it is an occasion and you get to shoot with the worlds best shooters.

What I don't like is shoots where I think I am paying over the odds for the entry, for this reason I am unlikely to do the Sportasc, or the World Compak at Churchills (where there isn't even a prize fund for your £170) or the £375 shoot after all I am from Yorkshire and I like to get my monies worth...

I would consider a bigger money prize shoot, but I would be unlikely to want to put much more than £50 in the pot...as has already been said it's a pretty expensive sport anyway...

Jaykaysea x

Back