BBC How to get into Shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, pity BBC dont show enough of it on the main BBC Sport channels during the Olympics, having to watch it via streaming only

Interesting, pity BBC dont show enough of it on the main BBC Sport channels during the Olympics, having to watch it via streaming only
BBC 4 had the whole men's trap comp. Picture was carp though, couldn't see the clays except in the closeup slo-mo's and the flashes when they got hits.

That having been said the camera in the back of the trap trench gave some excellent shots of shooters as they were aiming.

I stand corrected, must of missed that. I'm only finding the mens trap final on streaming from the BBC Sport app on my TV or via the BBC website. Hopefully skeet will get full coverage

I thought the cameras were rubbish but that would be the fault of the local camera people I imagine, not the BBC. Pleased that Ed got the Bronze but until the tv people decide to invest in the right cameras etc, I can't see Clay shooting ever being that popular as a spectator sport. 

It certainly was a step backwards in terms of camera quality from London 2012.  Do you think big green protection screen at London helped?

I have an interest, not especially in trap or skeet but in sporting but I am watching the coverage. 

You can see how the general public might be totally bored by the kind of coverage that has been seen up until now. I have been thinking about how things could be improved and I have a few ideas. Some revolve around making the clay highly visible on a TV screen, Squash coverage had the same problem until someone invented a ball that played to the TV cameras strong point and some are a little more 'out there'.

Lets face it, watching a 6 blokes perform a slow dance across 5 paving stones to the accompaniment of loud bangs and puffs of pink dust is not exactly thrilling unless you really know a bit about the game and can see whats happening. :)

They can track a golf ball for 100's of yards quite easily and have done for decades.  It's not about technology, they just can't arsed for a minority sport.

Tracking the ball in the sky is not what people are watching - they want to see how far it goes / how close to the pin. Where the near misses are as exciting as actually getting the ball in the hole. You just cant show the misses in clay shooting - it may as well be a metre off as 1mm. Unless they start using slow motion and 1st person camera angles which won't happen for a minority sport.

I'm a shooter and enjoy shooting but don't really enjoy watching it, especially when you can't see the clay prior to it being hit/missed. It's great that it's an Olympic sport, it's great that it gets some to coverage but I don't enjoy it as a spectator sport and as my wife will tell you, I will watch most sports! Hopefully it will encourage people into shooting but i can't see tv companies fighting to screen more of it.

Perhaps Ed Ling could feature on Countryfile ? They have already emphasised the fact that he is a "Farmer from Southern England"  . I do not recall seeing or hearing of any other of 'Team GB' athletes occupations ? (As if it matters)

Last edited by a moderator:
Clay shooting on TV is begging for Ultra HD.
4K filming would work...........actually seeing the shot hit or miss the clays.

Lets face it, watching a 6 blokes perform a slow dance across 5 paving stones to the accompaniment of loud bangs and puffs of pink dust is not exactly thrilling unless you really know a bit about the game and can see whats happening.
Starshot made the BBC back in the 80's

Perhaps Ed Ling could feature on Countryfile ? They have already emphasised the fact that he is a "Farmer from Southern England"  . I do not recall seeing or hearing of any other of 'Team GB' athletes occupations ? (As if it matters)
Top Sussex shooter, Guy Franklin, has been quoted recently in the shooting press as " a dairy farmer"

Yes, the camera work was poor yesterday...........I think our own Ben Wells does a better job with an iPhone from his buggy.

Starshot was a great spectator sport easy to see, not sure if trap will make it to the same level as its not great to watch if you do not know the game !

ah yes starshot. We used to shoot it on back field at bywel in the 80s if you remember. Great fun.

I shot it in Maidstone in Kent and smoker smith cut 2 inch off his 30 inch Winchester trap gun with a hacksaw, but he did not win :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw (pardon the pun) him shoot that gun ;)

Latest posts

Back