Barbury Shooting School - 100 FSP reg - 6/9/2015

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
A rare opportunity to shoot 100 FSP Registered at Barbury Shooting Ground yesterday, made even better by beautiful sunshine and the unexpected inclusion of SHOOTING ROYALTY in the squad (more on that later).  This was the Wiltshire County Championship, and the event was well attended by the FITASC regulars. 

Early start for GavB and me, and a brisk run down the M4 for a 9.00 peg time - we started on the Porsche layout featuring some steady targets from the top of a bank before moving to ground level to the second two hoops. Our early start time meant one target was very sun affected but everything was hittable, especially a close range crosser on peg three which I hit first barrel and sent a lump of clay spinning towards my head.  I managed to 'palm' it away, ending with a tiny cut on my hand - the target was a bit close than I would of liked but my ninja skills saved my beautiful face. I was more worried about taking a step back out of the hoop with a loaded gun.  Smaller pieces next time!

We then moved onto the Barbury parcours, which was  a much harder proposition with a tricky long rabbit, a quick battue and hard to see midi which was an incomer from pegs 1 and 3. Great targets and it was good to see my favourite ref Wynno looking after everyone! 

Layout three was the Hull parcours, at the far end of the ground - with peg one up on a bank, with spectacular views of the countryside around the ground. Peg One had a tricky sim pair of an incoming blaze clay and rabbit well below your feet - you had more time than you thought, but it was cleverly set to make you rush. 

Our final layout was the Wiltshire Rod and Gun parcours set behind the club house - we were really unlucky here with the sun behind many of the targets including a high tower bird, a teal and a few very close targets.  Some great shooting from the squad as well. 

Overall - a lovely day out, well organised and no delays - 12 squads meant some longer waits but as ever the Barbury hospitality was excellent and they had a 100 or 50 sporting running alongside if you wanted to keep practising. 

Our squad was great - myself and GavB, a couple of Barbury regulars/locals and an opportunity to watch shooting royalty in the form of Parcours Pete from the forum and his mate who was in contention for the Wiltshire championship.  We had a great atmosphere all day and lot of fun, and that Pete - he can really shoot!

Few pics below....(including a very graphic picture of my wounded hand)

2015-09-06 13.21.32.jpg

2015-09-06 13.21.23.jpg

2015-09-06 11.51.32.jpg

2015-09-06 11.51.14.jpg

2015-09-06 15.40.51-2.jpg

2015-09-06 10.28.26.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked like a great day - would like to have done this but realised too late.  Hope they do some more.

Matt 

firstly great to eventually meet you and a Added bonus to meet Gav B as well from the forum 

Your summing up of the shoot is spot on and the pics Amazing 

Although the one of me in my England vest on the last layout is sure to get me some stick off

mr childerhouse and co 

I was only taking advice off of good friend and fellow shot Rich king who said I should shoot in it 

before the home international this weekend 

glad you managed to swat the clay before it got you 

As you say well looked after by barbury and it's staff 

glad you mentioned site Ref wynno he's a class act where refffings concerned and good refs are hard 

to come by these days and deserve our respect being out in all winds and weather to allow us to enjoy 

our sport 

really enjoyed shooting with you guys well shot and looki forward to shooting with you both again some 

time 

best regards pete 

Thank you both for that endorsement, I feel quite humble.......not.... Matt I'm surprised that you managed to continue with that injury to your hand, but like the trooper you are pain means nothing to you :) .

It was a fantastic day, and even though my layout was tough...an understatement....nobody disgraced themselves, well shot to everybody

Although the one of me in my England vest on the last layout is sure to get me some stick off

mr childerhouse and co 

I was only taking advice off of good friend and fellow shot Rich king who said I should shoot in it 

before the home international this weekend 
Pete - if I won an England vest, I'd wear it to the supermarket.  Good on you, you should be proud. 

Thanks Pete, thought it was a brilliant shoot! Good luck in Jersey, look forward to seeing you in Ireland. 

I am sure Fred will be along shortly! ?

Latest posts

Back