A story to warm the cockles...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teepee1234

[SIZE=medium]A story worth sharing…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’ve put a lot of shells through my gun over the last 18 months or so, which has resulted in a bit of wear.  Specifically, the top lever lock is quite worn (I discovered today) and my gun dropped open a couple of times after the second shot – this was last weekend.  I guessed this wasn’t a good thing, so as I’m not technically minded, nor experienced in the mysteries of shotgun mechanics, I spoke to my friendly gunsmith who told me not to shoot it anymore, that it was bloody dangerous!  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]“Are you sure?” says I.  “I need it for the weekend.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]“God save me from f*****g morons,” says he.  “Bring it to me, you knob, and I’ll get it fixed,” or words to that effect… What a sweetheart.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Anyway, I’m faced with being gunless this weekend, and I have to admit at this point to a mild feeling of panic, slowly but surely building in the pit of my (somewhat ample) stomach!  What??  No shooting this weekend???  Dear God, nooooo…!   [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hah!  Got it!  I’ll borrow one!  Hmm, but from whom? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So I called two ground owners I know (both RFD’s) and grovelled.  The first, who I’ll not name for fear of embarrassing him, said, “I’m at the ground and don’t have any guns with me, but the missus is in, pop over to the house and help yourself.  Failing that, as we’re both at Westfield on Saturday, I’ll bring a few with me, you can take your pick.”  As easy as that. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The second, who shall also remain nameless, said, “As you’re dropping your gun off to the gunsmith and I only live 30 miles from him, drop over to the house and take your pick.”  (You see the theme of this story emerging here?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Logistically, the second option worked better.  I need to get my gun to the gunsmith so he can fix it and have it back to me by the end of next week, and on the way home, I can call in and choose a loan gun.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So I bunked off work early and made the long dash to the gunsmith (I won’t tell you what he said, but it involved lots of expletives, and questions regarding my sanity, education and parentage…)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Then off to Ground Owner to choose a loaner.  On arrival, I was invited in and given a drink, then asked by his delightful wife if curry was ok for dinner?  Knowing that I wouldn’t have eaten, and that I wouldn’t be home until 11pm or so after a 270 mile round trip, they had quite naturally included me in their dining plans...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Lovely dinner demolished, cup of tea inhaled, it was time to choose a weapon.  8 or 10 to choose from, any one you like.  Went for a Browning as it was a better fit than the others.  32” barrels, and I’m not expecting to set the world on fire this weekend… BUT I AM GOING CHUFFING SHOOTING!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The world of shooting is filled with kind and helpful people.  There are good people, and there are PROPER good people.  The subjects of my little tale fall into the latter category.   [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]THANK YOU, you PROPER good people (you know who you are.)[/SIZE]

I find fellow shooters to be amongst the most friendliest people I,ve ever met !!...

Last edited:
Yeah.

Hope he wrote it on your licence as a loan.....otherwise you are over the 72 hour rule by Sunday.

Aren't they all!? :)
I've met a few that were quite eloquent actually, and some even wrtite on this forum.

So you spell your name S O L O M O N S. Thank you Sir!  I'll make a note of that.  :sarcastic:

Nice one, glad you are getting the Gamba sorted out and even better that you have a loan gun for the weekend good on the ground owner. :hunter: :hunter:

Aren't they all!? :)
The one that stopped me the other week for not using my indicators on the M3, then A303, then A34.......was..!

He thought that he could intimidate a loan female at 11.45pm on mostly empty roads.....but he picked me......!

I put my window down 2" and asked for his warrant card so that I could tell if he was a real policeman (and that the blue's and two's did not necessarily impress me....and it was a stupid way to pull me over by flashing from behind....no wonder I missed two laybys...I thought he was after the lorry....so I said :wink: and added that normally they stop me Starsky and Hutch style....'in front'....much more sensible...then I know that they mean me :laugh: )

He did not seem to like this intercourse and got arsey and I thought ...'oh dear...you and I are not going to get on'...

His increasing lack of ability to deal with a woman who knows the law well......turned out to be a big mistake and he left smarting after giving me his card.....and.....after I played my trump card.

Why do people who are not equipped always try to duck with me!!

However it did give amusement watching the change of tone after I played my trump card.... :laugh: ending with the words..... 'It has been nice having a conversation with you madam'....... Ah ahahahahaha

I've met a few that were quite eloquent actually, and some even wrtite on this forum.

So you spell your name S O L O M O N S. Thank you Sir!  I'll make a note of that.  :sarcastic:
Just in case anybody misinterpreted my posting, I'm NOT conncted to The Police force in any way, I just used to work with a lot of them (fine bunch of fellows!), and the ones I know post on this forum would not forgive me for not backing them up.  :biggrin:

The one that stopped me the other week for not using my indicators on the M3, then A303, then A34.......was..!

He thought that he could intimidate a loan female at 11.45pm on mostly empty roads.....but he picked me......!

I put my window down 2" and asked for his warrant card so that I could tell if he was a real policeman (and that the blue's and two's did not necessarily impress me....and it was a stupid way to pull me over by flashing from behind....no wonder I missed two laybys...I thought he was after the lorry....so I said :wink: and added that normally they stop me Starsky and Hutch style....'in front'....much more sensible...then I know that they mean me :laugh: )

He did not seem to like this intercourse and got arsey and I thought ...'oh dear...you and I are not going to get on'...

His increasing lack of ability to deal with a woman who knows the law well......turned out to be a big mistake and he left smarting after giving me his card.....and.....after I played my trump card.

Why do people who are not equipped always try to duck with me!!

However it did give amusement watching the change of tone after I played my trump card.... :laugh: ending with the words..... 'It has been nice having a conversation with you madam'....... Ah ahahahahaha
Brilliant, oh how I wish I was in the passenger seat.

Would be a brave or foolish man (PC or not) to mess with our Nic :)

Brilliant, oh how I wish I was in the passenger seat.

Would be a brave or foolish man (PC or not) to mess with our Nic :)
That is what my hubby said.......

I just cannot stand ducking bullies....

Nicola just out of interest what would you have done if he had wrongly asked if you would accept a caution, I ask this because it is a position that is likely to happen if a police officer does not know his firearms laws. Your opinion would I know be of help to all shooters.

Nicola just out of interest what would you have done if he had wrongly asked if you would accept a caution, I ask this because it is a position that is likely to happen if a police officer does not know his firearms laws. Your opinion would I know be of help to all shooters.
You....'NEVER' ....'EVER' ....accept a caution if you are alone........'EVER'.........even if it means that you then have to go to the station. You get your solicitor there to meet you. If you do not have one.....then there is always a 'duty solicitor' who can be called for you...and you say nothing more until he arrives. We are not yet in a police state peeps.

Then depending on the situation ...you take the advice of your lawyer.

Do not be scared of a man in a uniform.....just saying...! The laws of the UK protect their citizens.....True story.

You....'NEVER' ....'EVER' ....accept a caution if you are alone........'EVER'.........even if it means that you then have to go to the station. You get your solicitor there to meet you. If you do not have one.....then there is always a 'duty solicitor' who can be called for you...and you say nothing more until he arrives. We are not yet in a police state peeps.

Then depending on the situation ...you take the advice of your lawyer.

Do not be scared of a man in a uniform.....just saying...! The laws of the UK protect their citizens.....True story.
Thanks Nicola good advice for all of us shooters.

Back