20 gauge 28gram recommendations?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

I've just recently purchased a browning 30" 525 sporter 20 gauge for my fibre and game shooting for this next year. I've picked up a few single boxes of eley high fliers in a 28 gram 6, and they are a very nice little cartridge. Any other recommendations to try in the 28 gram bracket greatly appreciated.

Regards Martin

I’d echo Charlie’s comment, go with the 25g no5 High Pheasant, I’d go with a 12 bore for any thing heavier, 28g Black Gold are horrible through my Silver Pig

Thanks folks. Had a go with a box of the hull ultimate 20 in the 5.5 shot 28gram fibre at the weekend at some clay's. Wowsers what a lovely cartridge, smooth as silk and destroyed clay's at some massive distances very convincingly through 1/4 choke.

Thanks folks. Had a go with a box of the hull ultimate 20 in the 5.5 shot 28gram fibre at the weekend at some clay's. Wowsers what a lovely cartridge, smooth as silk and destroyed clay's at some massive distances very convincingly through 1/4 choke.
expensive clay cartridges i would imagine

Oh jesus yes, £90 a slab is a bit real for clays, only shot the one box to give them a try! Got some very nice eley ct20 24 gram fibres for Clay's, a lot better on the pocket and a very nice little shell again as well.
my lad has a light weight 20bore for clays, he has been through all the brands and much prefers the 24g hull pro twenty, about £64 a slab which makes my eyes sting a bit but very impressive all round

A bit late to the party; when I shot a 20 gauge for game, the best cartridge that I found by far was Hull High Pheasant 25 gram.

I tried comparisons with various 28 gram loads and even Sterling 30g and all were nowhere near as effective. Slightly surprising, but true thru' my gun (Guerini). 

A bit late to the party; when I shot a 20 gauge for game, the best cartridge that I found by far was Hull High Pheasant 25 gram.

I tried comparisons with various 28 gram loads and even Sterling 30g and all were nowhere near as effective. Slightly surprising, but true thru' my gun (Guerini). 
A seemingly very knowledgeable small bore shooter told me that 25g was the best load for pattern in a 20b, he said those using 32g were hindering their chances and found it quite amusing

A seemingly very knowledgeable small bore shooter told me that 25g was the best load for pattern in a 20b, he said those using 32g were hindering their chances and found it quite amusing
I met somebody last week who shoots a 20 bore for game and glorifies in the kudos of not using a 12 bore.

Then he told me he shoots 34g shells !!

Oh jesus yes, £90 a slab is a bit real for clays, only shot the one box to give them a try! Got some very nice eley ct20 24 gram fibres for Clay's, a lot better on the pocket and a very nice little shell again as well.
Was given a few Eley CT by a friend and was so impressed I`ve used them ever since for clays.Really good ,smooth shell,ideal in lighter 20`s.

Last edited by a moderator:
For clays, 24 gram Cheddite and for game, pretty much anything up to 28 gram, except those beginning with an E an ending with a Y,   NOT Expressly   !

Shot a 20 bore for game for many years and up until recently never found anything to compare with JK6 26g No 5..However tried a  couple of slabs of Lylvale Express Ultimate Power 26g No 5 and was very impressed..Saying that I would guess everyone has a favourite...

Would agree,and no one is wrong in their choice if they`re happy with it!

Have found 5`s have worked better than anything in a selection of 20`s that I`ve owned despite being less than optimal in theory...

Back