100 yard teal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishgunner

The club where I shoot is putting one on as a side line pool shoot, for our next 100bird it's only as a bit of fun, but got me thinking how do you tackle 100yard teal as it peaks on the way down ? I was thinking as it peaks but how much would you need to be under it ? Any one who ever shot teal at that range love to know how you do it and the picture you see?

The club where I shoot is putting one on as a side line pool shoot, for our next 100bird it's only as a bit of fun, but got me thinking how do you tackle 100yard teal as it peaks on the way down ? I was thinking as it peaks but how much would you need to be under it ? Any one who ever shot teal at that range love to know how you do it and the picture you see?
I have nothing helpful to add but I want to know where this club is. I'd love to have a go at that, even if I had to give up my 21g cartridges for it!

South Worcester Shooting Ground ran a comp along similar lines, Clynt I think was one of the finalists, there was something on a thread but as for finding it now etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Adam at Grange also ran an event that went to extremo-teal distance - I had a pop at it one day.

Nowhere near it. 

South Worcester Shooting Ground ran a comp along similar lines, Clynt I think was one of the finalists, there was something on a thread but as for finding it now etc.
100 yd teal about 40 yds up and in my eyes I saw aprx 3 feet under it just as it peaked .....used 3/4 choke and a Viper 7 1/2  killed 2 well and broke one in bits out of 6 shots , alot of luck with timing but it can be done  :spiteful:

Sorry the shooting ground is in Ireland it's just the final of a league shoot between 10 clubs or so, just putting on the 100yrd teal as a side line for fun, 3 foot under as it peeks thanks for that least it gives me somewhere to start, as its my home ground it's my self the owner and a few members that will be setting it up, have to make sure it's hittable, we where thinking of supplying shells with the fee for the pool (100yrd teal) 32g6s or is 28g7 1/2 Enough

We shot a very long teal at Ian coley's ! , tight choke 3/4 or tighter , and believe it or not its straight at it ,BUT !!! You have to get your timing right . Time your shot just before it peaks ,at that range an small amount at the end of your barrel , is miles out at the clay . It's all about the timing ......

Watch the video of george doing it on you tube for the world record. Think he ended up using black gold 6's as he got to the 100 yard mark, may have been even bigger than 6's.

You'll need big shot sizes ! Put in the biggest cartridge you can , 5 or 6 shot !

Shot, like any other falling body at sea level, will drop at a rate of 32 feet in the first second. At a best guess the average air speed of the shot, travelling that distance, will be about 850 feet per second which means the shot is in the air for around 0.3 of a second in which time it will drop about 9.5 feet. Now factor in that you will be shooting at an angle upward and that the clay bird from standstill will also accelerate downward from zero feet per second at a rate of 32 feet per second squared.For a target to be 100 yards away when 40 feet up, the trap needs to be 297 feet from the shooter, the geometry means the angle the barrel needs to be is 8 degrees from the horizontal. After studying these figures my advice to you is wing it mate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very little, just underneath it at the peak. Ignore the shot drop thing- red herring!

Had a go setting it up saturday, didn't measure it don't think it was a full 100yd but not far off, and might be far Enough as it tuck I wile to find it. There was a bit of a wind blowing Left to right The teal it self cause of the ground lay out has to be thrown right to left moving 20yds from trap to peek then falling back 10yds to the right on the wind on the way down. I know it will change depending on weather, but when we found it. it could be hit 70-80% just when it peeked the picture was level with the clay and 2-3 foot left, even tho to look at it when it peeked you would think the wind had it and it was going right, what I found is you have to be so Precise it's like aiming a rifle, and funny you shoot think u missed then the clay breaks such is the delay,

Forget 100 yard teal! It would be good to hit any teal. Has anyone recommendations of best ground/instructor to go to for coaching?

Forget 100 yard teal! It would be good to hit any teal. Has anyone recommendations of best ground/instructor to go to for coaching?
Funnily enough just last week I had a remedial lesson on teals with Ed Solomons at Kibworth. Ed also does Sporting Targets, Riseley.

Calamity, I used to be awful at teals. Best place to cure it (by self teach method) is AC sporting targets west London. You can stand out the front there with a bucket and go at it from different distances to learn the sight pictures.

At Weston on Sunday, I was SH*T with teals again. (Yet another re-learn process with my glasses I think). So I will go back to AC ST perhaps this Friday to find them again. Let me know if you want to join me for a 'deal with teal' session.

I watched Richard Bunning shoot the orange one over the pond. Just ridiculous. While still mounting the gun he called pull, then smashed it each time without fail before it was half way up. Made it look about as hard as crushing grapes with a frying pan. Git! (And a hero).

Calamity, I used to be awful at teals. Best place to cure it (by self teach method) is AC sporting targets west London. You can stand out the front there with a bucket and go at it from different distances to learn the sight pictures.

At Weston on Sunday, I was SH*T with teals again. (Yet another re-learn process with my glasses I think). So I will go back to AC ST perhaps this Friday to find them again. Let me know if you want to join me for a 'deal with teal' session.

I watched Richard Bunning shoot the orange one over the pond. Just ridiculous. While still mounting the gun he called pull, then smashed it each time without fail before it was half way up. Made it look about as hard as crushing grapes with a frying pan. Git! (And a hero).
Very interesting slant to this topic, the course setter has the right to make the condition that the clay should be shot on the way up, or obscure the target from view using the natural cover, let's face it, it's a different ball game then.

Back