Coriolis

First gun (well not really)

Coriolis

So very new to clay shooting having had FAC and SG tickets for years. I have done a few day shoots but never really took to shotguns. I now have got very into the sport and my chum is getting bored of me using (and beating him) his Miroku so need to get myself my own. Being a cheapskate I have decided I will start with a low budget Browning or Miroku as they fit me rather than Beretta. I am looking at a second hand 525  that is perfect or an older Ultra for a little  more than half the price both are a good fit, but the Ultra I think has fixed chokes at 1/4 and 3/4. I will be mainly sporting clay shooting, but with a bit of skeet etc for fun. I intend this purchase to be to get me up and running and lead to something nicer in the future.

So, is a fixed choke gun a wise decision??

westley

Used 325, 425 or 525 30" M/C Browning OR Miroku 7000, MK38 or a 3800 Trap that has already had Teague chokes fitted. The advantage of the multi chokes makes the gun more of an 'all rounder' (if there is such a thing) but it WILL save the "should I, shouldn't I"  at a later date when you start wondering about opening up the fixed chokes.  (AND you WILL !).

schmokinn

Take the Ultra choking will be fine and no doubt you will want to change it within a year :lol:

AW13

My first gun was a Miroku with fixed chokes. Still got it and still love shooting it over 3 yrs later.  But.... I now also have a B725 multi choke for the flexibility of choosing which chokes to use depending on discipline and the particular course I am shooting. 

So I would recommend a multi choke and the put in your choice of chokes and then don't fiddle with them. There are a huge numbe of threads about choke choice, just keep it simple, you could start with the same choke choice as you chum as you have had success with his/her choice of choke.