Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LarsJ

Barrel length

Recommended Posts

LarsJ

I do understand that balance is important, but I can't wrap my head around the difference in barrel lengths. Especially the choice between the 30 and 32 inch versions. Balance aside what are the benefits? If it is smoother swing that is the argument, why not 34 or longer (I understand  at some point you won't be able to catch up with the target). 

Is the pattern significantly different at typical impact distance? (and any "proof" of that? 

Longer sight plane is the only thing I can come to think of ( even though not aiming when shooting shotgun). 

Is it just what's in at the moment? (or manufacturers need to keep the selling numbers up?) 

It's a genuine curiosity I have. 

Lars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy

No difference in pattern or speed. Its just balance smoothness of swing and weight. And 32s just somehow feel right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
balltrap

I was told by the wife it's not the length it's how you use it !...............she thinks I am a sh*t shot :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hamster

I know 2 people who shoot a 34" gun extremely well, I know several dozen who shoot 32" guns extremely well, I know 1 AAA shot who shoots 30" by choice, I don't know of a single high ranking ESP shooter who prefers 28" -  based on such overwhelming data it's clear 32" just happens to be the best compromise to tackle clays slow and fast at ranges between 15 - 65 yards. My personal guess is that the subject is related to "moment of inertia".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP

I think getting used to the gun you have and using it well is more important.  I therefore assume lots of people have tendency to have a ‘stopping the gun’ fault and as H suggests a longer and therefore heavier feeling barrel helps mask this..

When I bought my first gun the shop suggested 32 barrels but it didnt it feel right to me and I was apparently on the edge of being tall enough at 6 foot... I have found that so long as I concentrate I don’t tend to stop the gun anymore, even with 28 barrels, although my XXV can feel a bit stabby if I’m not shooting well..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul120
9 hours ago, balltrap said:

I was told by the wife it's not the length it's how you use it !...............she thinks I am a sh*t shot :lol:

She thinks,  we know.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
balltrap
10 hours ago, Paul120 said:

She thinks,  we know.:lol:

:lol: how can you call anybody sh*t :lol: if I shot as bad as you I would take up fishing :angel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley
21 hours ago, balltrap said:

I was told by the wife it's not the length it's how you use it !...............she thinks I am a sh*t shot :lol:

And she is NOT alone on that one   !      :angel: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley
2 hours ago, balltrap said:

:lol: how can you call anybody sh*t :lol: if I shot as bad as you I would take up fishing :angel:

I already HAVE  !     :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
balltrap
2 minutes ago, westley said:

I already HAVE  !     :wink:

The fish will be safe then :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul120
4 hours ago, balltrap said:

:lol: how can you call anybody sh*t :lol: if I shot as bad as you I would take up fishing :angel:

True. Just waiting for the invite to join you fishing. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
On 3/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, Hamster said:

I know 2 people who shoot a 34" gun extremely well, I know several dozen who shoot 32" guns extremely well, I know 1 AAA shot who shoots 30" by choice, I don't know of a single high ranking ESP shooter who prefers 28" -  based on such overwhelming data it's clear 32" just happens to be the best compromise to tackle clays slow and fast at ranges between 15 - 65 yards. My personal guess is that the subject is related to "moment of inertia".

That level of "evidence" is nothing more than conjecture.  Based on criteria derived from the above it is obvious that I am lusted after by the majority of the women on the planet.  And there is just as obviously little evidence to the contrary.

I believe that the recent long barrel fad is attributable to nothing more than King George's use.  There is no inherent ballistic or balance advantage in length alone.  And the whole "sight plane" argument is nothing less than ludicrous for shotguns.  I'm pretty sure that far the majority of OT/UT shooters would agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hamster
26 minutes ago, Wonko the Sane said:

That level of "evidence" is nothing more than conjecture.  Based on criteria derived from the above it is obvious that I am lusted after by the majority of the women on the planet.  And there is just as obviously little evidence to the contrary.

I believe that the recent long barrel fad is attributable to nothing more than King George's use.  There is no inherent ballistic or balance advantage in length alone.  And the whole "sight plane" argument is nothing less than ludicrous for shotguns.  I'm pretty sure that far the majority of OT/UT shooters would agree.

I love when people refer to 32" barrels' popularity as a "fad", it's been fadpenning since the mid 80's :lol: and FYI this one has nothing to do with George, he was in fact one of the last of the Greats to switch ;), Bidwell was another who is now on record as saying he regrets not doing so earlier. 

My other favourite is people saying it's because gun manufacturers are pushing us to buy longer tubes :rolleyes: like it saves them money to give us two extra inches. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LarsJ
3 hours ago, Hamster said:

My other favourite is people saying it's because gun manufacturers are pushing us to buy longer tubes :rolleyes: like it saves them money to give us two extra inches. :lol:

Well if they get us to buy another 30 inches, at the cost of the two extra is worth it. Not saying they are not better though. But that's consumer economy, make needs for people so they buy more/new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane

It has been a fad in the US for the ATA people for decades.  Having started with that I of course went for the "necessary" 32" for doubles.  Finding other games interfered with that.  And there was an unfortunate experience seeing a junior OT team shooter besting all the 34" sbt guys from the 27 yard line with a ridiculous 30"!!! barreled O/U!!!  So during the quest for Truth and Justice I suspect I tried about every commonly available combination of weight/length/rib.  And I flipped everything but the 72cm->75cm, 1.34->1.59kg barrels that I have for the guns now.

Of course, that would just be me.  Shoot whatever.  

be safe

Charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips

26" game for the fun of it

28" game cos its just right

30" clays cos its just right

Anything over 30" is a fad same as multi choke and high rib......i will get my coat 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP
55 minutes ago, ips said:

26" game for the fun of it

28" game cos its just right

30" clays cos its just right

Anything over 30" is a fad same as multi choke and high rib......i will get my coat 😜

Agreed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chippy

I cannot believe you two are on the internet. Carrier pigeons must be more your thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FlyingTrotter

I am with the old boys ......

wait a minute I’m an old boy too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonko the Sane
19 hours ago, ips said:

26" game for the fun of it

28" game cos its just right

30" clays cos its just right

Anything over 30" is a fad same as multi choke and high rib......i will get my coat 😜

Pretty close I suppose.  Factory choke tubes can on occasion be OK but the aftermarket things are the Tools of Satan as I've mentioned before.  I do have a couple high rib barrels and the commensurate higher comb is seemingly easier on the antique neck but I'm not actually aware of any other advantage there might be.

I'll be AFK for a while - off to feed the pigeons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×