How do you stop yourself getting too complacent ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinxy72

I don't know if anyone else does this or has done this but i do find myself coming too complacent at times … get a stand where every things going well, got my eye straight in and hitting them well …. then towards the end it all goes wrong and its not as if the targets have suddenly changed … its just me getting too complacent because Im hitting them well .. too cocky if u like. I just do it every time without realising and i think this is my main problem and whats stopping me from being consistent ….. any ideas ??

I get the same thing, although for me I don't think it's being complacent; but trying to "make sure" holding on longer etc. Any suggestions welcomed, I'll ask the same thing at one of Phil's master classes in a couple of weeks.

(null)

Know your own head. Some people `get complacent` while others try progressively harder until they miss (thats me).

I had a perfect illustration of this on Sunday at Horne. There was a five pair stand (Battue and teal), where I totally smoked the first pair. The next two pairs were less convincing kills as I slowed up `to make sure`. I could see that a miss was coming up! I cleared my head and shot them `from scratch` without too much thinking and the smokes were back. I wish I could always be that organised!

CSC3

I find complacency is actually very rare; its much more common for people to over try, and end up shooting differently to the first coupkle of successful pairs. As above, know your own weak ares first and then you can get stuck into rectifying them!

I get the same thing, although for me I don't think it's being complacent; but trying to "make sure" holding on longer etc. Any suggestions welcomed, I'll ask the same thing at one of Phil's master classes in a couple of weeks.

(null)
that would be great snipey …. may have to have some classes with phil at some point .. just reading his free ebook which i think is great. going to try his RAG system to see if it helps any

Know your own head.

CSC3
That's one of the best bits of advice you'll ever get. Play to your own strengths, it's good to watch the better shooters of course but if you know an easier way round a problem for you, then take it. One of the best ways of avoiding unnecessary misses midway or worse at the end is to pace yourself. If you have a tendency to miss the 7th bird as I did, then slow down a tad at that point and regain focus and remember how easy they've been to hit so far ;) .

I think golfing has an expression: drive for show, pot for dough. In shooting that can be taken to mean the first 3 or 4 pairs are for show, the last pair is what builds the score :cool: .

That was a classic score builder stand CleverSC3, within the capability of a AA to straight but easy to mess up if you didn't plan the battue looper first. I watched a guy in front absolutely mince 2 pair, so awesome were the breaks and so quick was he that I leaned over to see his card; it was full of zero's as he was a B but he was obviously all pent up and shooting on testosterone. Inevitably he walked off with a 9 as you just can't build scores shooting with that much aggression. He could easily have influenced people behind him to think you had to be quick, luckily I shot them with my pace (let the looper face up when nicely out in the open) from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it fits OK, but it probably doesn't weigh enough, maybe another couple inches on the barrel (story of his life) would help.

jinksy are you a cpsa competition member as I cannot find you in the scores. What do you like shooting most?

Back on topic, I really don't know how to fix this consistantly. I did a great job of closing stands out yesterday but nothing felt different from times I don't. Would love a fix for it

Back on topic, I really don't know how to fix this consistantly. I did a great job of closing stands out yesterday but nothing felt different from times I don't. Would love a fix for it
Im afraid that will take time, targets, hard work and lots of dissapointment!

jinksy are you a cpsa competition member as I cannot find you in the scores. What do you like shooting most?
you won't find me in the scores … I've had over a year off dealing with a neck problem so not shot anything registered … just getting ready to start again though i don't know if ill shoot anything reg this year … see how it goes first i think

regards to what i like to shoot ?? Sporting and trap disciplines mainly … do like skeet just skeet don't like me that much l.o.l .. though i should spend more time with it really …. may try fitasc when i get back into the swing of things

Last edited by a moderator:
you won't find me in the scores … I've had over a year off dealing with a neck problem so not shot anything registered … just getting ready to start again though i don't know if ill shoot anything reg this year … see how it goes first i think

regards to what i like to shoot ?? Sporting and trap disciplines mainly … do like skeet just skeet don't like me that much l.o.l .. though i should spend more time with it really …. may try fitasc when i get back into the swing of things
Get on with it then matey.....the sun is shining.......................don't bother with those puffy disciplines......if you want cutting edge then come to the darkside :cool: :cool: :cool: Trap is where it's at!!! :.: :.:

yes i do like trap must admit .. though i am shooting mainly with a semi auto now so need to sort a new o/u out for trap that i can find comfortable with the neck problem … shouldn't be an issue ;)

Another great topic - consistency is what everyone strives for - it is so true of what I call "pre-shot management", and as Ed put it, know your weaknesses (although I phrase it know your areas of development). This comment might sound weird, but too many people try to shoot all of the targets and are disappointed when they miss one, then they chase the score, rather than moving on to shoot the next. The one thing that is always true - you will never shoot the last clay you shot or any others before that, so you need to enjoy the next clay you shoot.

More to follow on Pre Shot Management in the coming weeks - look forward to meeting some of you on the forthcoming Masterclasses, both with Carl & Ben for Sporting.

Latest posts

Back