your thoughts

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

obviously no one wanted this awful scenario we find ourselves in but  ,   the rules have stopped me shooting so I've saved  money and cartridges etc !!   and i always said i would stop shooting in the worst winter months  but never did  until forced to do so !!    have you any tiny positives you can think of  ?   trouble is as a old git      i feel I've been robbed of a year , time i cant afford .      i could mention blame  for this situation and  punishment   but best i keep my bitter and twisted thoughts to myself !!     😷

There's come a lot of good out of this if you look for it shooting wise!

For instance the interviews and videos people have done have shared some serious knowledge(obviously needs editing to suit your though)

When we came back after the first lockdown there was a lot of genuine greatfullness to be out which was nice.

Outside of shooting there's been plenty of opportunity to catch up on those tasks put off whilst out shooting.

Times have been so different and there have been positives as well as negatives. Personally my cpsa ESP average was at its peak at 88 just before COVID and it’s been weird since. I was rubbish after first lockdown then I bounced upwards and was banging in my best scores. (Two poor ones just before Xmas, but that happens). I’m going into the new era (April) with very few preconceptions. I feel chilled about it really. Like I’m starting all over again. 

I have only been back into shooting last couple of years but being super vet class never expected to be that good. Deliberately lost a couple of stones as reduced weight is well documented as a benefit with covid. However guns no longer fit like they did before. When we get back it will be like starting all over again.

obviously no one wanted this awful scenario we find ourselves in but  ,   the rules have stopped me shooting so I've saved  money and cartridges etc !!   and i always said i would stop shooting in the worst winter months  but never did  until forced to do so !!    have you any tiny positives you can think of  ?   trouble is as a old git      i feel I've been robbed of a year , time i cant afford .      i could mention blame  for this situation and  punishment   but best i keep my bitter and twisted thoughts to myself !!     😷
Like you Doc, saved some money but getting less time to spend the saved money........time is of the essence now.

I’m definitely in the less cautious camp. We’re at the point now where pretty much everybody who is likely to die of this won’t any more. A third of adults vaccinated and that means nearly everybody who is in the danger zone. I know it’s not as simple as that, but any doctor will tell you that even on a severely injured limb, the tourniquet needs to be loosened occasionally or the limb will be lost. That’s how I feel about our society. Sounds like 2 months of too much caution is what we are about to face this year. I respect anybody who feels differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m definitely in the less cautious camp. We’re at the point now where pretty much everybody who is likely to die of this won’t any more. A third of adults vaccinated and that means nearly everybody who is in the danger zone. I know it’s not as simple as that, but any doctor will tell you that even on a severely injured limb, the tourniquet needs to be loosened occasionally or the limb will be lost. That’s how I feel about our society. Sounds like 2 months of too much caution is what we are about to face this year. I respect anybody who feels differently.
Totally agree. I don’t want to go into specifics on an open forum (not that it will be surprising) but suffice to say, the physical and mental health knock on from all of this will be huge and will last a very long time. 

it’s interesting to note that when the media excitedly (quite perversely) report the number of deaths, they never mention the small print at the bottom that says ‘of any reason within 28 days of a positive test’...

let’s hope, for everyone’s sake, we get back to normality sooner rather than later.

it’s interesting to note that when the media excitedly (quite perversely) report the number of deaths, they never mention the small print at the bottom that says ‘of any reason within 28 days of a positive test’...
Hmmm.. It's pretty clear that the death figures have been consistently overstated. I doubt the true figure will ever be known or if, as some people think, it's a deliberate ploy to scare the public.

A family I know had a relative die in hospital of stroke - death certificate says Covid though. To say they are mystified is an understatement!

On the gloomy tone, a friend with terminal cancer went into a hospice for his last few days of life, caught covid and died, goes down as a covid death apparently?

Hmmm.. It's pretty clear that the death figures have been consistently overstated. I doubt the true figure will ever be known or if, as some people think, it's a deliberate ploy to scare the public.

A family I know had a relative die in hospital of stroke - death certificate says Covid though. To say they are mystified is an understatement!
Not an uncommon story I’m afraid, Westward...

The words ‘with’ and ‘of’ have been massively confused...

As a bit of a numbers nerd, I've found it interesting to follow the different statistics that have been thrown out from all sort of sources on it.

For the numbers it has killed, probably the most realistic representation is to look at the excess deaths figures from the ONS.  For 2020, 80,000 more people died than the average for the preceding 5 years.  That ignores causes of death on certificates and just looks at the total number of people that died.  To me that pretty clearly shows what the effect of Covid was last year.  Death rates in the last couple of months have been higher than they were last spring, so I expect this years excess death figures will be pretty high too.

covid has had a horrific effect  on the worlds  population ,   i wonder  how many people have died  with conventional  illness / diseases  or tests , scans being delayed  or simply not being able to see a  doctor  ?    suicide  from worry, stress  , being in lockdown ?   are these deaths attributed to covid ?    

It’s often been quoted “lies, damn lies and statistics” 

Now I’m no statistician by any means, though I do uses statistical analysis in my role as an engineer. The problem with statistics is context. You can very easily take a simple measurement and draw a conclusion but be quite inaccurate through lack of taking into consideration the full gamut of contributory factors. This can happen in a number of ways. It can be a result of not knowing all of the factors, ignoring them out of laziness, assuming they’re insignificant or can be wilfully ignored to skew the result. Often the case with statistics for public audience, the data sets cannot be develop into in too much granular detail. How many of us would be willing to sit through 100 episodes of Panorama to thoroughly examine the statistical analysis of, well... anything. I’d be asleep in under ten seconds. It is a fact that 82.73% would be asleep by the end of the first episode.

So statistics that were given by media are really not particularly robust information. I’m sure we all know that. But covid is definitely real and people definitely die of it and with it. My father a case in point. With or of it, hardly matters. The absolute 100% statistical fact is, he’s dead. 

We don’t all die from it of course. There are covid survivors on this forum. I count myself among them, though that’s only 99% certain as I haven’t yet finished my isolation,  but I definitely feel that I’m over the worst of it. My partner is suffering a little more than I and has lost her sense of taste. I’m very fortunate that I’ve never been particularly weakened by flu viruses.

Of course if I should die within the next 28 days of something non covid related like being run over by a bus and my death certificate says I died of covid, I’ll be sure to let you all know 

Back