World sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the sportasc there yesterday and realy enjoyed the day out,the place feels like a world class event,the things that have been put into what is already a very nice place just make it feel nice to be a part of it.

Shot the Sportrap today, event appears to be running like clockwork, real shame the week has not been blessed with the weather, EJC and all have made a really good effort in setting up the ground and facilities, though I haven't been to any "Worlds" events before so not making comparisons etc.

Did set myself a personal goal, ticked that box and like all I let a few too many fly away unmolested overall though I'm :) with my afternoon out, thanks fellow Glos squad Chipper Portlock, Bagger Newman, Sleepy Keen and our minder Captain Kev Childs, 

Shot the Sportrap today, event appears to be running like clockwork, real shame the week has not been blessed with the weather, EJC and all have made a really good effort in setting up the ground and facilities, though I haven't been to any "Worlds" events before so not making comparisons etc.

Did set myself a personal goal, ticked that box and like all I let a few too many fly away unmolested overall though I'm :) with my afternoon out, thanks fellow Glos squad Chipper Portlock, Bagger Newman, Sleepy Keen and our minder Captain Kev Childs, 

image.jpeg

Shot at clays thrown at today's Prelim, pretty poor effort by myself. Pleasant enough course but by heavens was it busy, 5 hours plus for 100 targets across 12 stands was too much of a day for me personally. My chums Stewie Keen a very decent 90 Tiptop I'm not sure of. We did watch some of the Americans shoot, they have a far more diciplined / managed approach to the day that's for sure, very decent fellows too they were. 

As for the main event when I left Sean Ponting (aka Shaun the sheep) leading on 187.

those of you still to compete all the very best and enjoy 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot at clays thrown at today's Prelim, pretty poor effort by myself. Pleasant enough course but by heavens was it busy, 5 hours plus for 100 targets across 12 stands was too much of a day for me personally. My chums Stewie Keen a very decent 90 Tiptop I'm not sure of. We did watch some of the Americans shoot, they have a far more diciplined / managed approach to the day that's for sure, very decent fellows too they were. 

As for the main event when I left Sean Ponting (aka Shaun the sheep) leading on 187.

I've now finished my three days at EJC.

Wednesday was on the sportrap which was great fun, wonderful mix of targets including a load of horrible slow stuff shot from a platform.

Thursday and Friday we shot the main event; red course on Thursday which I personally thought was the slightly easier of the 2 layouts and this was shot in an environment which can only be described as similar to a rainforest.  You couldn't move without sweat pouring out of you and even my Pillas were getting steamed up which cost me a few targets sadly.  Best bit of this for me was shooting 7/8 on stand 11, missing only one of the close loopers and smoking all four of the 65-yard crossers.

Blue course was slightly more challenging but we shot it in more favourable conditions and again I shot this quite well but it was stand 11 that cost me this time with me scoring only 3/8 missing all of the long and quick yellow targets shot from a platform then missing the last going away battue.  I was a bit disappointed on this layout as I think I let 4 maybe 5 go.

Overall score was 166/200 (85 on red and 81 on blue) which I'm really happy with.

Shaun Ponting was in our squad and he made both courses look incredibly easy, joy to watch.

This maybe a dumb question but what is the prelim english sporting? And why 5 hours - just a lot of shooters and it being unsquadded?

Just 100 reg really, took us less than 2 hours to get round including me getting to stand 4 and realising i had left my shells in the car

I really enjoyed the STR and main event.

Didn't shoot blue course very well, just never got going and lost a couple to the wind.

But I didn't really enjoy the Prelim at all to be honest, targets weren't great and took four hours in the pouring rain to shoot, which didn't help!

Overall a fantastic event!

Thanks Martin............ well done Stew good score   :thumbsup:
Cheers Buddy.

Good 3 days with 90 in pre-lim, 87 on blue course, 84 on red. Dropped some clangers on red at end. Some AA friends said the blue course took it's toll on them Sunday?

Cheers Buddy.

Good 3 days with 90 in pre-lim, 87 on blue course, 84 on red. Dropped some clangers on red at end. Some AA friends said the blue course took it's toll on them Sunday?
Bloody great performance from you there mate you should be chuffed with how you shot and in the biggest comp of the year  :goodjob:

What a week that was - truly very good organisation, atmosphere and excellent shooting.  Shame the weather had to be so fickle but that is the way it goes in the UK.  Having shot the Class on the Saturday and then the Premier League at Barrowheath and the British or English Open All Round at Northampton on the Sunday - we jumped into the week with the Sportrap on Monday. I might add that on the Sunday night we had packed up Amber's Uni Room and brought it all home so it was a very late one.

Sportrap I thoroughly enjoyed and came 19th out of 95 in class and 21st out of 39 in Ladies with a score of 76/100.

Fitasc was on the Tuesday which was an excellent course, shot with Paul Finney and you had to work for everything.  My score reflects the work I must put into my technical skills and my concentration level in order to progress at Fitasc.  I came away with 51/100 coming 57th in class out of 78 and 20th out of 21 in ladies.  I really do lag towards the middle of the third and into the fourth layout.  I swear the breaks don't do me any favours - I am too switched on I would do better shooting through or half and half.  

Wednesday we went to collect Tony's new car in Crawley so dropped into Northall - never been before - a small friendly club, the targets were not that taxing and I dropped 4 to have a score of 46/50 on the ESP but the Compak was more difficult and shot through singles and doubles each shooter so I found that rather more taxing as I was trying to remember where everything was coming from.  

Thursday went to West London Shooting School and used up some vouchers I had been given for Christmas shooting 200 varied targets, really enjoyable and got some good ones.

Back on Friday to EJC for the Prelim finishing 12/67 in Class and 11th out of 30 in Ladies scoring 80/100.  We were lucky because we shot it in the morning so the queues were not so bad as for those who shot from lunchtime onwards and really had to put up with seriously long waits.  I found it strange that shooters line up with their cards in their hands waiting their turn so you end up with a huge line.  On one stand I just collected them all up, although some shooters looked at me rather oddly, gave them to the ref and told everyone to go relax until they needed to watch.  

Saturday started on the blue course, had a lovely squad of four Irish gents, one American and Tony.  The American was a very pleasant gent but he did try it on a bit trying to see the birds multiple times and questioning whether it was a no bird or not.  One ref just told him outright, I won't be calling no birds, you shoot what you see.  I started off badly on the first six stands, easier ones because I got a touch of the collywobbles for some reason and dropped way too many and then went around the rest of the course thinking I can't make it up so whilst I thoroughly enjoyed what I was shooting I was not in the best frame of mind consequently I came away with 59/100.  

Sunday - Red Course -  got up and told myself to just go and enjoy it and I did.  I shot 66/100 and cannot believe I let two little "Horne" type floaty birds get away from me!   Decided to then go and shoot Horne at Gatton Bottom - don't ever do that - I was tired, grumpy, couldn't be bothered to try and came away with a 67/100 ridiculous.

I also shot the 125th birthday shoot I think I got 80/100 and I did the fun shoot 88/100 - obviously these were a mixture of the sportrap and fitasc targets but it was actually quite nice to get to shoot them again. 

Roll on Saturday - Beretta World awaits.

Back