World Festival of Shooting - Scores

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't feel that I'm a good enough shot yet for major competitions.  Maybe next year, when I won't have to deal with the depression that comes with turning 50 as well.
Why don't you book this! 

DSC_1693.JPG

Overall, I know it’s a world champs and it’s going to be hard but I think it’s a bit too hard, there was a lot of low scores from shooters I know that can shoot well and a fair few that didn’t bother coming back for the second day and a lot saying they just wouldn’t bother ever doing a big competition again.  Lots of gloomy faces coming back from layouts but they cheered up once they’d had an ice cream!
I guess it all depends on what one wants out of this sport.

Some people go to a state/national/world championship fully expecting and wanting to be challenged and tested.  Most likely that means that the score won't be what it usually is, but with that should come the realization that one's peers have to shoot the same exact targets (within the normal variation that comes with outdoor sport).

Some people want something else out a high level shoot.  If what some want is a score that is typical of what they shoot in easier, more routine situations; disappointment is bound to follow.

I tend towards the former.  My home state's championship is known throughout the eastern US as one of the most challenging and testing.  Last year I got crushed with a score well, well below what I thought I was capable of.  I was ready to go home after day 1 but after having a smoke and a beer I thought about why I was there and decided to stay.  Did quite a bit better on day two but by then the damage to the score was done.  The thrashing served to make me push to improve both mentally (the hardest part) and also technically and I can't wait to have another go at it in mid August.

I just don't feel that I'm a good enough shot yet for major competitions. 
One never is.  Just get after it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby said approx 60 yards! Had to be shot by the bale.  First rabbit directly in front of you under your feet, 2nd rabbit was a white rabbit coming from top of hill on left hand side, again though we all had trouble picking it up early, didn’t see it till st least 1/2 way down, 3rd rabbit was fine, orange, could see it but it did bounce and the last one from top on right hand side, you sometimes saw it coming from trap but then lost it!  Full use of gun but by the time we saw it it was a rushed shot.  But Enjoy!  The 4 singles that were on red course was the last stand and they were tough too. 

I just don't feel that I'm a good enough shot yet for major competitions.  Maybe next year, when I won't have to deal with the depression that comes with turning 50 as well.
Lucky bugger ..... 60 next year and you women have a longer sell by date! :)

I guess it all depends on what one wants out of this sport.

Some people go to a state/national/world championship fully expecting and wanting to be challenged and tested.  Most likely that means that the score won't be what it usually is, but with that should come the realization that one's peers have to shoot the same exact targets (within the normal variation that comes with outdoor sport).

Some people want something else out a high level shoot.  If what some want is a score that is typical of what they shoot in easier, more routine situations; disappointment is bound to follow.

I tend towards the former.  My home state's championship is known throughout the eastern US as one of the most challenging and testing.  Last year I got crushed with a score well, well below what I thought I was capable of.  I was ready to go home after day 1 but after having a smoke and a beer I thought about why I was there and decided to stay.  Did quite a bit better on day two but by then the damage to the score was done.  The thrashing served to make me push to improve both mentally (the hardest part) and also technically and I can't wait to have another go at it in mid August.

One never is.  Just get after it.
Same here. Didn’t even consider giving up, it’s not in my nature, I was totally expecting it to be harder than our normal shoots but not that much harder.  With some of the incomers from top of hill, most shooters would not have seen many of them targets, there’s nowhere to practice them targets on any of the grounds I go to.

Did have a look at the Fitasc layouts as friends were shooting and some of the sim pairs looked impossible unless you were a very quick shooter and young with razor sharp reflexes (which I’m not!)  But an enjoyable few days away anyway, met up with friends from here and abroad,  nice hotel and had a laugh on way round. 

Job to tell distance but I'd guess it started 90 yds and finished ( if you missed it) 60 yds. Fortunately I killed it.

As regards the shoot I thought it was the most interesting if also the most challenging I've shot in 40 years. The Sportrap also  was tough but inspiring.  I was lucky to be on the same squad as 3 Americans who were awsome shots despite being JUNIORS !!!!. All shot high scores which i think were around 85 to 90.  At the time this put the Americans into the top 5 places which more or less answers the question I posed in an earlier post about whether they were shooting harder targets than us. All you shooters who complain about difficult targets on our grounds should stop worrying about them and make sure you practice them. I'm fairly sure there isn't much in  harder or easier but more in  practised or not practised.{ Also I believe that shooting a 100 bird competition isn't practice but shooting 100 of a presentation that you have been troubled by is}..... I just hope there isn't t a lot  of complaining about this  Churchills World Event because the Targets and the organisation WERE WORLD CLASS and the fabulous weather made it  a truly fantastic experience...

Lucky bugger ..... 60 next year and you women have a longer sell by date! :)
It’s all in the mind, I’m 57 now but still feel 21 some days, although I must confess one of my knees is aching after the walking the last few days but a few days rest and it will be fine.

2019's World Sporting will be at Northbrook Sports Club in northern Illinois.  I would not expect any respite over target difficulty based on that club's reputation and the fact that a world championship should test the best.

Ben seems to be linking to the CPSA site while shooting is in progress then linking to proper pdf lists overnight. Hence my previous post.
The Cpsa site itself was wrong when you clicked on Sporting it showed Sportrap hence any link to it would also be wrong.

As it is the wonderful live scoring/non PDF stopped working yesterday and still isn't working yet...good old CPSA gotta love them  :no:

Hubby said approx 60 yards! Had to be shot by the bale.  First rabbit directly in front of you under your feet, 2nd rabbit was a white rabbit coming from top of hill on left hand side, again though we all had trouble picking it up early, didn’t see it till st least 1/2 way down, 3rd rabbit was fine, orange, could see it but it did bounce and the last one from top on right hand side, you sometimes saw it coming from trap but then lost it!  Full use of gun but by the time we saw it it was a rushed shot.  But Enjoy!  The 4 singles that were on red course was the last stand and they were tough too. 
FML, I would have zeroed that one.....

Shot the sportrap yesterday using 24grm 7,5 scoring 71 and winning disabled sitting.loved the targets and having not shot any reg sporting for 2 years thought the 300 a week boys should of done better they were all hitable but you had to be wel switched on to time some of the pairs.Another great event from churchills.

Shot the sportrap yesterday using 24grm 7,5 scoring 71 and winning disabled sitting.loved the targets and having not shot any reg sporting for 2 years thought the 300 a week boys should of done better they were all hitable but you had to be wel switched on to time some of the pairs.Another great event from churchills.
Well done you, good shooting 

Well shot Paul. I didn't help myself keep setting up for the wrong pairs :oops: ,more concentration needed. Nice to shoot with you.

So far no really good videos of the shooting on youtube.

Can't wait until Nicolas Berry and the guys who run englishsportingclays.com post some up. Theirs are probably the best clay shooting vids on youtube at the moment.

It will be very interesting reading the monthly magazines reports of this shoot especially the opinions of the journalists who shot very poorly at it ?

@tiptop likewise really enjoyable company to shoot with,you did nale some good sims when you picked the right ones.

Latest posts

Back