Winter Clay Shooting Attire

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why bother with heavy clothing, go to Florida, shorts and a lightweight sheet vest are all you need.... plus factor30 sun cream
I suspect that the complexions of most of you would be better off with a spf50 or spf60 .  You can prolly get that at the air terminal when you get here.

I never found Florida to be all that enjoyable.  However, Arizona is quite nice for the most part and there are places to shoot practically anywhere.  Phoenix and Tucson areas in particular.  Weather where I am in NorCal is fairly easy to deal with too usually.

I must admit tho that accommodating some climatic adversity is not part of what makes shooting a fun time for me.  Fortunately when the weather turns crap I have other interests to turn to.  But you guys have fun!!!!  I'll be thinking of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A proper Musto clay shooting coat is the way to go (though not cheap), I've had mine nudging 10 years, the advantage being that they have insulation that's wind and waterproof whilst not being overly thick so doesn't mess with your mount/gun fit so not that much different than a shooting vest in summer.   Keeping one's neck warm in the bitter winter days is another little challenge - from my motorcycling days I have a neck-sleeve which works perfectly and doesn't interfere with gun mount at all.

My trusty old Sasta coat is now tatty and I’m struggling to replace it like for like. It’s very warm, light, soft, has good cartridge pockets and the collar doesn’t impede the gun. Hard to get this full combination I find. 

Just got myself Seeland winster jacket - haven´t shot in it yet, but it looks like it will do with proper base and middle layers.

Literally just ordered this Browning Jacket Rochefort Active Green 40gbp of ebay i have other browning jackets very good quality and a bargain at this price!

s-l1600.jpg

I got bought a heated top for Xmas a few years ago. The thing I most admired was that my sister in law assumed I was that size, whereas I was several inches wider in reality. So I’ve never worn it..

I just bought a long sleeved shooting jacket. Pretty simple, lightweight and waterproof but with shoulder pad and shell pockets. Grabbed it at North Wales Shooting school. 

Used it for the first time last weekend at Fauxdegla on the sporting stands. top of a Welsh valley with a Northerly coming in it can be 'crisp' to say the least. First time I have shot in a jacket and I had no problem ( fortunately managed to find a jacket in FH size ) wish I had bought one years ago! What a difference. Best £40 I've spent in a long while. With a Nike technical polo shirt on, light jumper and jacket i was really cozy and could swap the jacket for a skeet vest if too warm.

The other addition is a pair of thin gloves, I like my Macwets but others swear by golf gloves. Warmer hands make life out in the cold SO much more appealing.

i cannot shoot in thick clothing so i put a warm jacket over my skeet vest and take it off when about to shoot a stand. its only a few minutes 

On the subject of gloves , for years I’ve used a pair of long cuffed  Dents shooting gloves , lovely soft unlined leather with one of those fold  back trigger fingers . I love them to bits . However for the last month I’ve been using a pair of fleece backed McWets , long cuff . I must say they are superb , like a second skin , and as the name suggests , the  dog’s  do-das in the rain . 

Last year i bought a pair of Deerhunter thinsulate lined bib and brace trousers for when thermals are not enough,cheap enough and warm even on the coldest days.

Not clothing related i know but i bought a large box of handwarmer packets after having no success with the lighter fuel filled ones.

Absolutely brilliant,worked out about 50p a pair kept my hands warm at the weekend at Southdown which was barely above freezing and about 5 hours later when i left i gave them to one of the scorers as they were still at their full temperature.

I've got some new tactics for this winter!

Torso: Merino base layer, Under Armour fleece top that is water repellent (not proof), skeet vest. In between shooting a down jacket goes on over the top to stay warm.

Legs: Pair of winter walking trousers. Fleece lined and water repellent.

Hands: MacWet gloves for shooting. In between stands i'll pop on a pair of Under Armour wind/waterproof thermal mittens which will have a disposable hand warmer in each.

Time will tell if it all works :)

That heated shirt sounds good, @Will Hewland, shame you can't give it a go. I keep seeing things like it on Amazon and they seem to be a good idea!

"That heated shirt sounds good, @Will Hewland, shame you can't give it a go. I keep seeing things like it on Amazon and they seem to be a good idea!"

The prices i see them at i find it hard to believe that they can be of any quality.

I wonder what they will be like in the wet...can imagine someone buzzing at a damp shoot 😂😂

I've not had any need for the electric vest thing shooting but I did have one I used on the motorcycle.  Tapped the bike electrics obviously.  It was given to me by a friend when he upgraded and I can tell yas straight and true that I don't know how I'd managed before without it.

The one point that is really important is that metabolic rate is tied to temperature.  If you are not warm the body just starts shutting down peripheral systems and performance degrades.   Sweat level is not necessary but if you are shivering at all you are def at a sub-par level.

just a thot

Unless it gets really cold, or it is wee - weeing down, I will be in shirt sleeves with my skeet vest (mesh or cotton dependant on temps), over the top. I do NOT do heat  !

I've not had any need for the electric vest thing shooting but I did have one I used on the motorcycle.  Tapped the bike electrics obviously.  It was given to me by a friend when he upgraded and I can tell yas straight and true that I don't know how I'd managed before without it.
 Chap I know has one of them that he paid a whole £30, and he utterly swears by it (he says the battery lasts all day) and as he swapped his car for a bike last year, he’s putting around 20k under the wheels at the moment so is putting it through its paces. He does wear a jacket over the top of it though. 

I go for the layering approach..

Thermal base layer, long sleeve, jelly Hansen/under armour etc.

Then a softshell jacket (had a Berghaus one for years now).

the jacket is windproof, breathable and quickdrying.

I then wear my skeet vest over the top.

I would rather use a brolly than shoot in a waterproof or heavy coat. 

I did a shoot in about minus 4 last winter, and I just wore a gilet over the top between stands.

I haven’t needed anything more, but being “follicley challenged” I always wear a hat- Merino wool is my preferred choice.

I also wear one of the headover scarves, again merino wool. 

Buff make them , and they are less than £20.

I don’t own any shooting specific clothing, just use the stuff I walk the dog in.

They say there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing......

Back