which ear plugs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a relatively cheap pair of Howard Leight - Impact sport. <£40

They work very well, but no good in the summer - very sweaty. So I have been looking at a pair of in-ear but cant find anything shy of £479 - id like them to be electronic, my hearing isn't great, so its helpful not having to pull them out each time to talk. Anyway £100 is too much for some plain silicone.

Been looking at cens and vario, and a few others but no good.

Perhaps ill wait a little longer.

I have a relatively cheap pair of Howard Leight - Impact sport. <£40

They work very well, but no good in the summer - very sweaty. So I have been looking at a pair of in-ear but cant find anything shy of £479 - id like them to be electronic, my hearing isn't great, so its helpful not having to pull them out each time to talk. Anyway £100 is too much for some plain silicone.

Been looking at cens and vario, and a few others but no good.

Perhaps ill wait a little longer.
Have you looked at Custom Fit Guards? £365 for a set of electronics. 

Emtec do passive filtered at a reasonable price. I paid £80 which included the ear cast

Do NOT forget the annual service charge for the 'in the ear' electronics too   !    They omit to tell you that when you buy them.  My last bill was some 70 quid  !

Emtec do passive filtered at a reasonable price. I paid £80 which included the ear cast
Having worked in the music industry, and having sold these sort of things for musicians to wear, I refer to back to my earlier point that unless something's changed with anatomy in the last 20 years, ears grow and these won't last forever as they will only fit perfectly for a certain amount of time.

If in any doubt, look at all the proper old men with massive lugs out there! 😏

http://themedicinejournal.com/articles/do-your-ears-and-nose-continue-to-grow-as-you-age/

Do NOT forget the annual service charge for the 'in the ear' electronics too   !    They omit to tell you that when you buy them.  My last bill was some 70 quid  !
WHAT did you say Speak UP

Having worked in the music industry, and having sold these sort of things for musicians to wear, I refer to back to my earlier point that unless something's changed with anatomy in the last 20 years, ears grow and these won't last forever as they will only fit perfectly for a certain amount of time.

If in any doubt, look at all the proper old men with massive lugs out there! 😏

http://themedicinejournal.com/articles/do-your-ears-and-nose-continue-to-grow-as-you-age/
There is an elegant solution to this ear growth problem ruining your electronic in ear device purchase.

Take a small skin graft from ones backside and genetic engineering scientists could reverse engineer the skin cells back into stem cells and then recode the dna to be cartridge and make a new set of ears to fit your plugs. 

The whole job will only cost about £3/4m and as a bonus it might even work and maybe no side effects if you’re lucky 

Ah ok thanks bud, ill have a look.

You what.... Annual service charge??? What brand is that? or is that all brands?

Whats to service on them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok thanks bud, ill have a look.

You what.... Annual service charge??? What brand is that? or is that all brands?

Whats to service on them?
CENS  !  Yes, I could not see the Cens in that either. They put in a new 'switch' which had been faulty since day ONE  and re-coated them with whatever they coat them with in the first place.  I have never been really happy with them from initial purchase, which was via their agent in Bolton. The original ear moulds were wrong and it just went downhill from there. I was without the plugs for around 3 weeks of their original 2 months of ownership, due to faults. WHEN they are working, they are very good, BUT, they do seem to need a lot of servicing. Ask about the need to service them at time of purchase, including average cost of that 'service'.

Just as a comparison, I have a pair of 'Emtechs' which have been absolutely superb. As for servicing them, I just wash them  !

There is an elegant solution to this ear growth problem ruining your electronic in ear device purchase.

Take a small skin graft from ones backside and genetic engineering scientists could reverse engineer the skin cells back into stem cells and then recode the dna to be cartridge and make a new set of ears to fit your plugs. 

The whole job will only cost about £3/4m and as a bonus it might even work and maybe no side effects if you’re lucky 
Well, with the suitability of some electric ear plugs, you may as well stick em up yer ****     !    :no:  

CENS  !  Yes, I could not see the Cens in that either. They put in a new 'switch' which had been faulty since day ONE  and re-coated them with whatever they coat them with in the first place.  I have never been really happy with them from initial purchase, which was via their agent in Bolton. The original ear moulds were wrong and it just went downhill from there. I was without the plugs for around 3 weeks of their original 2 months of ownership, due to faults. WHEN they are working, they are very good, BUT, they do seem to need a lot of servicing. Ask about the need to service them at time of purchase, including average cost of that 'service'.

Just as a comparison, I have a pair of 'Emtechs' which have been absolutely superb. As for servicing them, I just wash them  !
Cheers bud. Think I'm edging towards vario, but it'll be a while if at all before I get them at 500 notes

I think Vario and others use this company for their plugs to be made after your impressions.

They now do thier own passive shooting ones which are a little cheaper, but don't by the look do amplified ones for shooting for some reason

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/

What Will  said, MSA cans  , try the Supreme Pro X model with Gel Ear-cups as well . You can wear them in a downpour and they still work . The sound quality is amazing , and a single AAA battery lasts for months . Turn them off if you want isolation , turn them up if you want to hear a trap spring , or a pheasant’s wingbeats .  At 1/3 the price of a quality set of in ear electronics they are a bargain . Starkey Headsets offer a 14 day no questions return so you could try without any risk .  I picked up a pair after reading comments on here from prolific shooters who use them  , everyone who has tried them wants a pair. 
Brilliant muffs!

Custom fit guards as pointed out above do the cd digital variant at £365 but can be had for as little as £310 when they do show offers etc they have also in the last couple of days launched the cf digital v2 so the price on the originals may fall, also as pointed out above ears continuously grow and change shape and based on that and the current legislation on electronic products carrying a manufacturer guarantee the custom fit guards come with a 1 year warantee. 

I own a set, I find them far more comfortable than over ear defenders and although deemed as expensive being able to hear my daughter laugh is priceless! And the guards sort the Mrs out when on mute too which is a bonus 🤣

Back