Which Cartridge... ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the tt1 28g in plastic abit punchy that's before a got a kickeez pad fitted fired some the other day and they still felt the same I now shoot gamebore super gems in 24g lovely and smooth i would like to try some other 28g for a comparison tho.

My shooting 

I would say Velocity are smoother than my usual banger, Rio. Also a lot smoother than most to me.. 
My shooting buddy has been knocking himself silly with them recently, he asked me to try his 525 a few weeks ago and shoved 2 of those things in, compared to my 725 with my 24 gram Cheddite (£7/1000 dearer) they felt really punchy. I had to re adjust the gun between shots as the recoil knocked it out of my shoulder. How on Earth he managed a 50 birder with them is beyond me. Having had surgery on my right shoulder, I am quite 'recoil sensitive' and have gone back to using my 303 Beretta. I spent 17 years running a shooting ground and most of my time was 'buttoning' on DTL, I began watching the effects of recoil on people. One of the good DTL shooters used nothing but the 24 gram HV Express, compared to the 'average shooter',  his gun barely moved on firing.  I do believe that recoil is more of an issue to people, than they care to admit to and that "it must be better to use a punchy 28 gram cartridge than a softer 24 or 21 gram load", is a shooting ground myth.  I can not accept that the extra 4 grams of lead will improve my scores, but I feel a lot less drained after shooting a 100 birder by using a softer cartridge.

Nothing wrong with Velocity + Can't say I notice anything different about them.

English Sporter are the only budget cartridge I don't like, punchy and I always seem to get a bit if earache with them. Ear plugs are worn as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
My shooting 

My shooting buddy has been knocking himself silly with them recently, he asked me to try his 525 a few weeks ago and shoved 2 of those things in, compared to my 725 with my 24 gram Cheddite (£7/1000 dearer) they felt really punchy. I had to re adjust the gun between shots as the recoil knocked it out of my shoulder. How on Earth he managed a 50 birder with them is beyond me. Having had surgery on my right shoulder, I am quite 'recoil sensitive' and have gone back to using my 303 Beretta. I spent 17 years running a shooting ground and most of my time was 'buttoning' on DTL, I began watching the effects of recoil on people. One of the good DTL shooters used nothing but the 24 gram HV Express, compared to the 'average shooter',  his gun barely moved on firing.  I do believe that recoil is more of an issue to people, than they care to admit to and that "it must be better to use a punchy 28 gram cartridge than a softer 24 or 21 gram load", is a shooting ground myth.  I can not accept that the extra 4 grams of lead will improve my scores, but I feel a lot less drained after shooting a 100 birder by using a softer cartridge.
So your not a buffalo man then !

Well obviously you can't compare 28g to 24g.. There are 28g out there that have twice the kick of Velocity

My shooting 

Think I agree Westley it's all in your head 

Well obviously you can't compare 28g to 24g.. There are 28g out there that have twice the kick of Velocity
Yep, someone gave me 2 of the current S & B cartridges to try, last Sunday, ,my ears are still ringing AND I am DEAF  ! 

Express world cup springs to mind , if not out of the shoulder.
Quite agree, I have some World Cups and always keep a box in my range bag, just to reach any 'silly targets'  !

So your not a buffalo man then !
Nah, prefer Lamb really  !

s&b ruddy ell I remember them from the 80s flamin awfull

Yep, someone gave me 2 of the current S & B cartridges to try, last Sunday, ,my ears are still ringing AND I am DEAF  ! 

Quite agree, I have some World Cups and always keep a box in my range bag, just to reach any 'silly targets'  !

Nah, prefer Lamb really  !
I am not talking sexual preferences ! 

Following on from this guys is there much difference between cartridges and also the amount of crap they leave in your barrel?

At Barbury on Sunday i used a box or so of Comp X 21g on the closer stuff with no issues with breaking clays and very little percieved recoil.

Would i want to use them on a 60 yard edge on crosser...don't think so.

As the Queen of the 21g cartridge I loved Hull Comp X but the prices went silly so my last bulk buy was RCs. I can shoot an RC 24g without issue. Even their 28g pigeon load felt soft. 

The other issue is the weight of the gun and a possible lack of muscle memory. Being 14 does not automatically mean he needs a lighter load, of course it may do but it depends on how he's built. But, I often see younger shooters struggling with the weight of a 12 bore half way around a 50 bird shoot. It's at that point they start to push their hips forward, dipping the shoulder back in an effort to support the weight of the gun. This leads to misses, and a resulting loss of interest. It can also exasperate the effects of recoil due to poor gun location.  

It's a difficult issue to resolve on a forum, as none of us (AFAIK) know your son, other than you of course. So if your lad is an average 14 year old, he should be OK with a 24g through an ordinary 12g, but let him practice swinging the gun around at home as much as possible in order to build up his strength and develop some muscle memory. Also, consider asking if he can just shoot 25 to start with, I know my local club would happily accommodate this for you.  

We need more youngsters in the sport, so to the rest of us, if you find yourself behind a young (or any beginner) please be patient. 

Following on from this guys is there much difference between cartridges and also the amount of crap they leave in your barrel?
Yes. 

I would say Velocity are smoother than my usual banger, Rio. Also a lot smoother than most to me.. 
The earlier versions used to kick like mules, later version is less thumpy. Although similar, I still prefer the Hull Superfast overall through my Guerini. 

Back