Which airline to Dubai?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunc

Passing through Heathrow tonight I asked BA Customer Services for clarity on their 'sporting goods' policy re taking a shotgun to Dubai.  They confirmed that it's around £50 each way (to pay for the G4S security service),  and in addition, you need to pay for an extra bag as well which looks like could be £55 each way - so the total cost of carrying a shotgun to Dubai with BA is around £200 return.  That's about half the cost of the passenger flight with BA, Emirates and Virgin.

Can anyone please tell me if Emirates and Virgin charge for carrying a shotgun? 

Also, as my lad will be travelling alone, and it's looking like it will NOT be BA, what is there to choose from between Emirates and Virgin?  The price is the same but I hear that leg room is greater on Emirates although I am more familiar with Virgin transatlantic.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.  :)

we went virgin last year duncan and again this coming time they were fantastic and helpful from heathrow 

hope you are keeping well , hope to see you soon steve

Emirates economy is 30kg luggage limit per person so provided your suitcase and gun cases combined are less than 30kg, there's no extra charge.

You do have to get a form and submit it a couple if weeks in advance. It's all pretty straightforward but it's so the airport knows to expect you and the pilot knows he's got guns on board.

Emirates economy is 30kg luggage limit per person so provided your suitcase and gun cases combined are less than 30kg, there's no extra charge.

You do have to get a form and submit it a couple if weeks in advance. It's all pretty straightforward but it's so the airport knows to expect you and the pilot knows he's got guns on board.

Claycruncher, you get the form by ringing Emirates when your tickets are issued. If your unsure give Emirates a call with your booking reference number and they will advise you better.

Done. Please email [email protected]
If you need forms and advise on ore booking guns.
As it happens three people last year on our flight out turned up with no pre-booking and had no issues.
But I like to plan in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I think the Customer Rep is confused, which isn't uncommon. The cost with BA has always been £50 per leg, but the extra bag thing has never arisen.

No matter you are sorted.

Hmm I think the Customer Rep is confused, which isn't uncommon. The cost with BA has always been £50 per leg, but the extra bag thing has never arisen.

No matter you are sorted.
Oh yes it has......last year and this year. There is a thread on here somewhere where people talked about the different prices they were charged for the the gun like a bag....it seemed to be made up depending on which airport you used and where you were going.

I have flown BA many times and not been charged for 'extra bag'......only the £50 per leg of the journey. They used to be great....but are now getting more and more awkward it seems. 

I tend to use Easy Jet because they are easy. But trying Virgin for the first time for this trip. Fingers crossed.

Virgin are so easy with Guns and check in is open 24/7 so no queing and  if the Emirates Pilot don't like guns on his aircraft you can whistle

Last edited by a moderator:
Virgin are so easy with Guns and check in is open 24/7 so no queing and  if the Emirates Pilot don't like guns on his aircraft you can whistle
You know who owns Emirates? Unlikely they won't take you to the bosses shooting comp.

Back