When Is It Time to Hang Up Your Gun, And Retire.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelfire

I have just posted on another thread and this was brought to mind, when is it time to call your clay shooting days as over.

For myself, shooting at Lochness GC (release trigger) I was physically unable to compete on my last round after having a decent first 75.

At a little sporting local shoot the week after, I shot 7/25 and knew then it was all over. 

Sad days.

Phil*

No dont do it, find a way to continue even if its a different discipline.

Is it your ability to shoot (you use a release trigger?) that is causing problems, or is the actual shooting, causing the problem? What's the problem?

:)

If you don't enjoy it, that's the time to stop. If you don't enjoy it because you have developed physical limitations then it's time to look at accommodations. I bet if you post here what the problem is people will have great ideas on what you can try. The disabled shooters I've met have been really friendly and generous with their knowledge. 

In a word No.

if you enjoy going shooting, and i include the social side in this as well, carry on.

you might have to stop 100 bird comps but why not go to the local club for a cuppa, a chinwag and a round of 25. Take someone under your wing and point them in the right direction.

I don't know you Phil but im sure you would be missed if you stopped.

Is it your ability to shoot (you use a release trigger?) that is causing problems, or is the actual shooting, causing the problem? What's the problem?

:)
This is what I thought, what is the problem ? Are you not able to move and track the bird correctly as before or is the problem failing eye sight ? Release triggers are usually a sign you've had flinching problems, is that causing timing issues ? Why not go round with knowledgeable friends who'll pick up any obvious faults. The time to stop is when you no longer enjoy it not because you missed more than before.

Phil your just having a grumpy day.

I am not saying your old or past it the following is a general observation / comment not aimed specifically at you.

I have over the years known many older gentlemen who accept they cannot physically shoot 100 but enjoy the social side and just shoot 25 or 50. Experienced shooters have lots of helpfull things to pass on to less experienced and or new shooters, and many tales and anecdotes worthy of sharing.

ps

I love speaking to older shooters they have so much real life shooting experience to offer and so many interesting tales of shooting in the old days. Many of the great blokes I have met over the years could have written great shooting biographys. My mentor when I was 22 was a lovely bloke in his late 60s which to me at the tender age of 22 seemed ancient, he became close personal friend (even guest at my wedding) and we travelled together all over the uk. The journey was always enjoyable with his advice and memories.

Sorry got nostalgic there.

pps

If you want to know anything about anything ask an old bloke, they usually have the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall taking an old gent round EJC about 5 years ago. He was 89 and hitting plenty. Full of stories about guarding Italian prisoners of war and how they were mainly pissed off because no pasta was on offer.

The only time to call it a day, is when your travelling feet first, at 11.00am on your way to the church or crematorium !

Phil - I know what you're talking about.  I'm past 70 now and there are some total crap days.  And then there are some not so bad.  I shoot with a few codgers that occasionally need to be reminded on the skeet field which target is next.  And then there are some superman types in their 80s that are still shooting better than I ever did.  But I figure WTF else am I gonna do with the kool guns that I've accumulated?  So I ride my antique Colnago on nice days, hit the gym now and then and just avoid the sitting on the ass mode as best I can.  I crank up the back brace to shoot and figure that I'm well into the game if my hit percentage has an 8 as the first digit.

My wife asked me how the shooting went.  I told her that between the bugs, the floaters, and the targets I had plenty to shoot at.

only when the last screw has been put in the lid of the old pine box.unless of course they have clays on the other side.scores matter not its the pleasure it brings taking part that matters.atb

Very sad to hear that you feel like this Phil but I expect that tomorrow you'll be missing it and looking forward to seeing the guys next week.  As has been said let us know if you have any physical difficulties as there will be plenty of ideas to help you out and don't forget that all you mates will miss your company if you don't go even to shoot a few less than usual.

I have just posted on another thread and this was brought to mind, when is it time to call your clay shooting days as over.

For myself, shooting at Lochness GC (release trigger) I was physically unable to compete on my last round after having a decent first 75.

At a little sporting local shoot the week after, I shot 7/25 and knew then it was all over. 

Sad days.

Phil*
I'd still prefer to go round with you than some sour face young un who bangs his shells into the bin when he misses.

I agree, I'm in the 'never give up' camp.

Life is too short as it is, without giving up something you clearly have enjoyed for so long.

1. Never

2. Get a caddy to carry all your kit and gun.

3. I have seen you wave your stick at AGM's....so it should get you to the layout. If not use a buggy.

4. Sit at layout and tell them all where they are missing.....plus other shooting related stories.....and offer coaching....then get one of them to go and get you a coffee...'Hold court all day'.

5. Shoot the odd bird.

6. Tell them all you just bought a release trigger yesterday so not had time to put the 'R' on.....followed by....'hope it is easy to use....there were no instructions with it'

7. Laugh a lot all day.

6. Tell them all you just bought a release trigger yesterday so not had time to put the 'R' on.....followed by....'hope it is easy to use....there were no instructions with it'
PMSL

Phil I quit back in 2006/7, I was shooting well at that time but I didn't seem to be enjoying it and I also didn't really have enough time back then. I decided to pick up a gun again at the back end of 2012, my form since coming back (as a vet) has been total rubbish! I do however enjoy shooting a lot more that before I packed it in, this is in no small part down to the people I now shoot with. Yes there are times when I go out there and shoot even worse than what is now "normal" for me, but after a while I realise that I still like shooting and the company, those things to me are now more important than my scores if I'm honest about it. Don't just give up mate, try looking at shooting from a different angle! I cannot compete with anyone who is even slightly good these days, but I have found that it no longer really matters and there are a few others out there that have also gone past their "sell by date", some shoot even worse than me at times, but we still have fun, even though to others we must appear to be shooting with both eyes shut a lot of the time!

Carry on shooting Phil, but try changing your views and expectations, you may even enjoy it mate!

Latest posts

Back