what gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victorismyhero

i.e barrel length, chambering, chokes etc

to suit a mix of skeet, sporting, rough shooting and game?

(talk about wanting everything)

not that I'm "picky" of course but......

ummm....how about.....since i like the look and its not too much pennies new....the winchester select field... 30" barrel  3"  multi choke  steel shot proofed <<<<<thinks...... would this take a magnum?.....just in case i wanted to>>>

would this cover all my bases do you think 

and...whats the difference between a "game rib" and any other sort of rib ?

:hyper:

A game rib is generally around 5mm wide as an aid in making the gun lighter.

ummm....how about.....since i like the look and its not too much pennies new....the winchester select field... 30" barrel  3"  multi choke  steel shot proofed <<<<<thinks...... would this take a magnum?.....just in case i wanted to>>>

would this cover all my bases do you think 

and...whats the difference between a "game rib" and any other sort of rib ?

:hyper:
Field guns tend to be light, so you may knock yourself about with such a gun if shooting a 100 bird clay shoot! Magnum???? What on earth are you going to use it to shoot at? As far as I know you only need steel proofing if you intend to shoot steel shot, that stuff seems mainly to be used by wildfowlers, but some clay grounds may allow it. If you do intend to use very heavy loads I would say use a heavy gun or get a proper wildfowling piece. The bloke who lives next to me shoots ducks and geese, he uses a Remy 10 guage auto for that as far as I know.

Field guns tend to be light, so you may knock yourself about with such a gun if shooting a 100 bird clay shoot! Magnum???? What on earth are you going to use it to shoot at? As far as I know you only need steel proofing if you intend to shoot steel shot, that stuff seems mainly to be used by wildfowlers, but some clay grounds may allow it. If you do intend to use very heavy loads I would say use a heavy gun or get a proper wildfowling piece. The bloke who lives next to me shoots ducks and geese, he uses a Remy 10 guage auto for that as far as I know.
I did say  "magnum....just in case i wanted"    one never knows when a tasty morsel may wander past  :nyam:

as for steel shot i recon its "future proofing".... the day is rapidly approaching i think, when the powers that be, aided and abetted by the fluffy bunny hugger enviros' will turn round and say "lead shot is banned...period" :banned:

whilst there ARE "soft" non tox loads, they are vastly more expensive than steel. so heck, if I'm going to buy a new or recent model S/H gun then I recon I want to be "ahead" of the game...in more ways than one.

Don't get a game spec one. Will feel like a very bad idea after 100 or so shots...

oki...now had a look at a number of guns and "think" I get the idea of "fit". So could someone explain this to me in easy terms.

the guns in question were bettinsoli's the "diamond" and the "X trail"

now both felt reasonable to hold and swing BUT the diamond seemed front heavy to me...it was almost as if it was pulling me forward when i held in in the shooting position, and seemed almost to demand I leant forward with it with my weight on front foot.

On the other hand the X trail seemed more comfortable, didnt pull me forward and seemed to allow me a much more upright (and comfortable) stance. And seemed to be an altogether more "snug" fit.

My arms were better placed with the x-trail i.e hands loser to my body.

since both guns were 30 inch barrel, I can only assume that the stock must have been shorter on the x trail (is this whats called "length of pull"?)

any comments guys

oh and anyone use bettinsoli's? what they generally like for a first gun ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used one, but a recent thread which you'll find somewhere gave them a general slating.

S/H Look no further than Beretta: 686/687/682 Browning: Citori/325/425/525 or various models in the Miroku range .. They are all well proven performers for a first gun or a keeper.

oki...now had a look at a number of guns and "think" I get the idea of "fit". So could someone explain this to me in easy terms.

the guns in question were bettinsoli's the "diamond" and the "X trail"

now both felt reasonable to hold and swing BUT the diamond seemed front heavy to me...it was almost as if it was pulling me forward when i held in in the shooting position, and seemed almost to demand I leant forward with it with my weight on front foot.

On the other hand the X trail seemed more comfortable, didnt pull me forward and seemed to allow me a much more upright (and comfortable) stance. And seemed to be an altogether more "snug" fit.

My arms were better placed with the x-trail i.e hands loser to my body.

since both guns were 30 inch barrel, I can only assume that the stock must have been shorter on the x trail (is this whats called "length of pull"?)

any comments guys

oh and anyone use bettinsoli's? what they generally like for a first gun ?
In all honesty..seriously...unless you can drop £1200 on a NEW gun, such as a Beretta or Browning or Miroku...then don't bother.

Stick to second hand guns, as you will get something worth having.  

I looked at all of these guns when I was buying...

Bettinsoli are sometimes known as "Bettinsoli boomerangs" by gunshops, as they keep coming back.

The Winchester is cheap for a reason.

Don't even think about a Webley 900/912...it isn't the Webley you know and love.

If you buy one, you are very likely to have issues and you will also have fun selling it on.  The dealer who was quite happy to take £8-900 off of you for it, will offer you next to sod all in trade in.

Go for the big three.  Beretta, Browning, or Miroku (MK38).  They are proven, solid, reliable guns that...IF they go wrong, any gunsmith can fix and get the parts for.

If you sell it,you will likely be able to get the same as you pay for it.

Game guns are light, as they are designed to be carried all day long and fired only a few times.  This means there is a trade off between weight and recoil...they will kick you harder.

Sporters are heavier, so are much nicer to shoot 100 times in couple of hours and much nicer to swing about.  they tend to have  a wider rib.

As KentSkeet said

686/687/682 Browning: Citori/325/425/525 or various models in the Miroku range
You can't go wrong there.

So, main points from me:

- Buy used.

- Sporter

- Multi Choke (so you can suit any discipline)

- Big Three!

- Make it fit.

Make it fit means, buy the gun you can afford and like.  Fit it to yourself, mainly by slight length of pull changes, which means a slightly thinner or thicker butt pad (ISIS Green Pad), and possibly a cast adjustment (to align your eye over the rib)

Latest posts

Back