What did you do today that’s shooting related?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant ! You will enjoy it . Once you get into the swing of it I guarantee you will pull off some shots that will stagger you . The clays come so thick and fast that you won’t overthink you’ll just shoot . 

Brilliant ! You will enjoy it . Once you get into the swing of it I guarantee you will pull off some shots that will stagger you . The clays come so thick and fast that you won’t overthink you’ll just shoot . 
Cheers. I hope so @MartynB ...I feel like I've been so limited with shoot time this past year, and to be truthful I've hardly managed to get out for any shooting at all... I did a Simulated Game Day last year and I was blown away how well someone can shoot without the psychological 'Count Down' clock in your head. Point and shoot....

On this SimDay, I'm a single gun, apparently, if they don't find another gun to make up the even numbers, they supply the loader at no extra cost too. Cool. 😀

Poked half an inch of mag spring into my thumb. Next time I want an anaesthetic first. 
ouch   !

got the grass cut  today  , gives me time to meet the gang at grimsthorpe   tomorrow 100 esp             grimsthorpe  in Lincolnshire   superb ground    give it a go   , if your ever over  this way  !!!

I bought a ‘ThoMar’ multi dry dehumidifier this week and hung it in the gun cabinet today. 
It’s sold as a reusable type, it weighs around 1kg and can be regenerated on a radiator or oven, after absorbing 600g of moisture.

Fingers crossed it works as advertised. 😀

A19C5B23-39D9-46FF-81F8-6B42FF04E70D.jpeg

A8FF6D23-A342-41F1-9ED3-5E62D6E2B460.jpeg

5289E9CF-9609-437C-B3CB-2A13FD26355D.jpeg

A48E50E8-63EB-4551-A66C-16318732F00A.jpeg

Been shooting my B725 for quite a while so today I brought out my Benelli for a bit of exercise, lovely light gun

Season starts in three weeks time. I have never shot my gun since last September so I got her out wiped down with an oily rag and took a photo... then put her back in the case. Had her six years now DSCN4011.JPGshe is 30 years old and still just a beautiful gun!

Season starts in three weeks time. I have never shot my gun since last September so I got her out wiped down with an oily rag and took a photo... then put her back in the case. Had her six years now View attachment 8052she is 30 years old and still just a beautiful gun!
Wait.. what.. season? Do clays breed in France?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a ‘ThoMar’ multi dry dehumidifier this week and hung it in the gun cabinet today. 
It’s sold as a reusable type, it weighs around 1kg and can be regenerated on a radiator or oven, after absorbing 600g of moisture.

Fingers crossed it works as advertised. 😀
Filling a pair of the missus' tights with kitty litter (remove the missus first) does the job just as well.

Running leaky classic cars taught me that trick.

Its a strange one Will but most clubs close beginning of September and re-open Feb/March . Of course I shoot trap I am sure the sporting clubs will be open. The weather has been so bad so far this winter that the chances to get out shooting have been few and far between anyway. I get the impression that shooting clays is something the French do when they cannot blast the hell out of fur and feather so when the hunting season starts, usually late August , the clay season ends  :lol:

Today I bought a pack of mixed grade sandpaper to start preparing the woodwork on a Cooey 84 for my grandson. Every intention of a couple of hours work this afternoon.

Unpacking my shopping bag the pack fell into the sink with the pots and got soaked. 

That was enough for today,  I had a sleep instead.

Tomorrow is another day.

It's my understanding that the French would have the world believe that everything breeds in France and does it in a manner superior to anyone/anywhere else.  Appears to be something of a national delusion.  Less disturbing but much like a number of delusions that are rampant in the US

And John - so you did go for that goofy stock !!!  :poke:    Shirley you shot it before you put it away and a report is def due - - - just about now!

There is a pithy expression of wisdom regarding our friends across the channel - if it moves they eat it, if it doesn't move they make love to it

and don't call me Shirley!

Today I finally started the strip down on the Cooey model 84 to began its restoration, shortening, rebuilding and fitting for my grandson.

I roughly marked the butt for cutting before stripping down and thoroughly cleaning, checking and noting any worn parts. Ironed out any little dents before gently rubbing out any scratches, nicks and chips and removing old varnish.

Work so far, in progress.

20200110_182900.jpg

20200115_195524.jpg

20200115_173426.jpg

20200115_195606.jpg

20200115_195755.jpg

20200115_195830.jpg

Today, I gave the metal parts a boil wash, followed by white spirit cleaning. They're now soaking in WD40 prior to being dried, oiled or greased as appropriate and reassembled. 

The woodwork cutting and rubbing down is complete and the first coat of wood stain in place.

A plate has been cut to fit and smoothed and is ready for the final fit.

Still in progress:

20200116_100521.jpg

20200116_101356.jpg

20200116_130147.jpg

20200116_120352.jpg

Yesterday I swapped out the foam pads for gel ones on my Peltor Comtac XPs, makes a huge difference in both comfort and how they seal.  Looking forward to giving them a proper run out at the weekend.

Today, I gave the metal parts a boil wash, followed by white spirit cleaning. They're now soaking in WD40 prior to being dried, oiled or greased as appropriate and reassembled. 

The woodwork cutting and rubbing down is complete and the first coat of wood stain in place.

A plate has been cut to fit and smoothed and is ready for the final fit.

Still in progress:

View attachment 8060

View attachment 8061

View attachment 8062

View attachment 8063
You made a nice job cutting that stock with that axe and sythe on the bench there 😉

Today I washed 2 pairs of moleskin breeks. I thought the clanking in the washer was just the brass buckles on the knees . I was wrong ,  a 32gm # 5 Hull High Pheasant Extreme came out quite nicely laundered ......   thank goodness the crimp didn’t open , the thought of 300 odd pellets going into the gubbins of the ( new last week ) washer wasn’t worth thinking about . 🤣

3D Printed butt pad for the F16.

It’s 1/2” shorter than the standard pad to give me 14 1/4” LoP and adds 3 degrees of pitch.

While there is no compliance in the pad, it’s unlikely to be a bother as I’ve been shooting sans pad the last few times out to experiment with gun fit without spending the money to cut 1/2” off the stock and I haven’t had any recoil issues at all.

I do get a fair amount of muzzle flip especially with 3/4 chokes, so the extra pitch should help hopefully.

C13F04E4-05CD-48A0-B48A-D8195130437F.jpeg

You made a nice job cutting that stock with that axe and sythe on the bench there 😉
Old fashioned I am, basic tools, no fancy stuff for me😁🙈

Rubbed down stained  and varnished now, needs another rub and varnish to complete:

IMG-20200116-WA0015.jpeg

20200121_084351.jpg

I finished the COOEY today and I'm happy with it.

Taking it out tomorrow to put a range of different size cartridges through it. Not so much for pattern as it is what it is with fixed full choke. I need to know the recoil on each shot and what range I can reasonably expect to break clays for the little one.

20200121_120847.jpg

With an eye to the future as they grow so rapidly plus his mum fancies having a go with it, I've started the inevitable extension as a removable part. It needs a plate fashioning for it yet, but I know I have an old BSA plate I can grind down. Then its rub down, stain and varnish again.

Obviously it will be fully pushed home, the second picture is just to show how it will fit.

20200121_115631.jpg

20200121_115710.jpg

Proud Grandad and his little man when he fired it Sunday. 

20200119_155740.jpg

Back