What did you do today that’s shooting related?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Barbury Army shoot. Looked at the huge queues at every stand, bought a bacon roll, chatted to a mate, looked at the queues again, got a refund, went home. That’s sort of shooting related?

I was going to go but after hearing that i am so glad i didn't!
Stupid thing was, I was only entry 210 at 11.30am and even after waiting an hour it was still crazy. I think the army guys shot in large groups and just don’t get through as fast as usual shooters.

Spent the morning under instruction on the high towers at Park Lodge . I’m dipping my toes in the waters of driven game this weekend , and I haven’t shot live quarry for over 35 years . I was pleased with the outcome as a confidence builder . It’s interesting to see a genuine 160’ high target , I suspect many have never ever have a chance to shoot at  such a clay in anger . I’m lucky enough to live near enough to enjoy the facilities at that ground. 3/8 and 28gms 8 dispatched it in style , 5/8 obliterated it . I also got to try out 30gm of 6  and 32gm of 5 both in super whizzy sonic brands . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent the morning under instruction on the high towers at Park Lodge . I’m dipping my toes in the waters of driven game this weekend , and I haven’t shot live quarry for over 35 years . I was pleased with the outcome as a confidence builder . It’s interesting to see a genuine 160’ high target , I suspect many have never ever have a chance to shoot at  such a clay in anger . I’m lucky enough to live near enough to enjoy the facilities at that ground. 3/8 and 28gms 8 dispatched it in style , 5/8 obliterated it . I also got to try out 30gm of 6  and 32gm of 5 both in super whizzy sonic brands . 
How did you get on with the driven game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoyed the day very much thank you . Even as a single gun , not knowing the other participants it was a very social and friendly day out .   I’ve got another couple of days booked this year . I thought I’d be the novice , but  I  honestly needn’t have worried . The only slight downside was a couple of guns shooting  pheasants at any height on the early drives  , I’d sort of imagined that everyone would self regulate to  their “share”  of the bag . I suppose that’s the problem with buying a peg .  There was nothing that needed my 160’ practice 😂 I was actually asked why I’d let a couple go on one drive , and I said because I could hit them ! I messed up the highest bird I saw , as in my excitement I didn’t take the safety off ! Too much clay shooting !   Anyhow ,it was a nice  introduction  successful in as much as  I shot birds on every drive except one where I never fired a shot .,All except one were dead in the air with either the first or second barrel , misses were clean ,and I pulled off a lovely long crosser . I’d a friend who is very pheasant savvy loading and mentoring me which helped a lot  . We took 2 brace away with us and thanks to YouTube , i breasted them a couple of days later , and they were in the pan on Tuesday ! 

My next day is in a weeks time so before then I’ll back out on a tower for another warm up .

Work has, and its rare that it does, restricted my weekend shooting as of late, though having a “poor run” at reg shoots Ive not hankered to be out, Friday saw me have the time & opportunity to call into Coleys,  pleasant hour+ on some of the more testing stands & enjoying, noself imposed pressure, a fear free shooting style far better than I enjoy / take when out with a card with my CPSA number on. 

Work has, and its rare that it does, restricted my weekend shooting as of late, though having a “poor run” at reg shoots Ive not hankered to be out, Friday saw me have the time & opportunity to call into Coleys,  pleasant hour+ on some of the more testing stands & enjoying, noself imposed pressure, a fear free shooting style far better than I enjoy / take when out with a card with my CPSA number on. 
Rich you'll shoot better if you relax and enjoy the day and not worry as much about the score, more often than not you'll be pleasantly surprised by the score you can achieve and it helped with the flinching "sometimes "😁

Today I received a letter from my GP. It was regarding my certificate renewal. They wanted £60 to process the Police qrequest for info. . The letter said  that the Police had indicated that I should pay the fee . Note,  this was the general request  letter , not a specific letter asking about a “ declared condition “ . I rang the GP office , I offered my opinion that this was not correct .  She said the practice policy was not to do any work which was not in their contract , unless a fee was paid .

I rang the FEO, and discussed this with him , a very pragmatic bloke , his response, “ Don’t pay it “ .  “They have 21 days to raise any concerns “ 

I wonder how many people just write out a cheque ? 

Today I received a letter from my GP. It was regarding my certificate renewal. They wanted £60 to process the Police qrequest for info. . The letter said  that the Police had indicated that I should pay the fee . Note,  this was the general request  letter , not a specific letter asking about a “ declared condition “ . I rang the GP office , I offered my opinion that this was not correct .  She said the practice policy was not to do any work which was not in their contract , unless a fee was paid .

I rang the FEO, and discussed this with him , a very pragmatic bloke , his response, “ Don’t pay it “ .  “They have 21 days to raise any concerns “ 

Your lucky, in Lincolnshire we don't have a choice now, Lincs police are writing their own rules regardless of what is law.

Too many and this will eventually become the norm through sheer misinformation and coercion,if this was to do with anything else but guns we would likely have a public enquiry by now and the media would be all over it!

If paying a fee ends up becoming the norm, then i'm sure we'll get over it, but it needs to be a clear direction with every force singing from the same sheet, and a set fee.  A mate told us yesterday he'd been asked for the first time in Haywards Heath.  Cost £35.  Someone else has been asked for £75. 

We certainly should not get ovet it . I already pay a fee for renewals !  I seem to remember sending a cheque for £49 . This fee includes everything except a report which may be required for specific declared medical conditions . If the doctors’s  request  for payment was to cover that I’d willingly get my cheque book out .  My opinions of our GP practice is normally pretty good  , but their letter was a blatant misrepresentation of the position  .

The police letter to the GP  actually ends 

“  that if no response is received within 21 days it will be assumed that there are no medical issues.”

I enjoyed the day very much thank you . Even as a single gun , not knowing the other participants it was a very social and friendly day out .   I’ve got another couple of days booked this year . I thought I’d be the novice , but  I  honestly needn’t have worried . The only slight downside was a couple of guns shooting  pheasants at any height on the early drives  , I’d sort of imagined that everyone would self regulate to  their “share”  of the bag . I suppose that’s the problem with buying a peg .  There was nothing that needed my 160’ practice 😂 I was actually asked why I’d let a couple go on one drive , and I said because I could hit them ! I messed up the highest bird I saw , as in my excitement I didn’t take the safety off ! Too much clay shooting !   Anyhow ,it was a nice  introduction  successful in as much as  I shot birds on every drive except one where I never fired a shot .,All except one were dead in the air with either the first or second barrel , misses were clean ,and I pulled off a lovely long crosser . I’d a friend who is very pheasant savvy loading and mentoring me which helped a lot  . We took 2 brace away with us and thanks to YouTube , i breasted them a couple of days later , and they were in the pan on Tuesday ! 

My next day is in a weeks time so before then I’ll back out on a tower for another warm up . 
That’s pleasing to hear you had a good day.

I made an enquiry into the BASC novice day they’ve set for early next year. This was following a simulated game day, which I completed at the beginning of the month. I paid for an instructor to be with me for the day too, who also loaded. It was a relaxed day, and I too was a single gun, the other 8 was a group who knew each other. It was a bit of a trek for me traveling down to Bath, from the northern hemisphere of Manchester, but I see it as part of the grand day out…

…I loved it all the same. Shame about the weather though, absolutely awful and while driving back up ‘north, the blue skies appeared – who ever said it isn’t sunny up here.

Nice to see you took 2 brace home, I think it’s important we all do this, and something I have yet to experience – but something I look forward too.

Hopefully in the near future, I get to do the same… 😊

Good luck next week, I hope its as enjoyable.

Took advantage of an unexpected 1/2 day, didnt  allow for the chill and hands / fingers suffered, that apart a pleasant enough practice round

Took a trip up to Thimbleby  today , it’s a lovely ground with some very challenging  long and high targets  . Also very reasonably priced at 26 pence  a clay .   The Lady running the cabin there,  told us , that on Tuesdays and Thursdays , there is a pay £22 and shoot a hundred clays deal .  Will definitely take advantage of that in the near future .  

Latest posts

Back