Westfield 8/1/12

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

My training course got cancelled and my bus wasnt fixed for me to pick up so I headed over to Westfield for the first time. Must say it didnt disapoint, being a big fan of Weston and the general set up Steve and Ally have I was expecting good things and the shoot ticked all the boxes. Lovely Cotswold stone clubhouse, top grub and targets to match. Nothing silly out there, everything shootable and a couple of stands where you had to be a bit twinkle toed to attack the second bird. I shot a 65 which I was a tad underwhelmed by as I had only dropped 5 off the first 4 stands. Teal, my bugbear at the moment let me down big style with a stand of simo, i only picked up 2, and longer crossers I seem to be overleading at the moment. Tricky but with a bit of application a good score was very achievable. Had a good morning out in the company of Matt R, Clever, David B and Banger, will let them regale you with tales of glory (or otherwise /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif) Overall a good experience and makes me regret not getting here before now as its only 50 mins up the road!

Yes a thoroughly enjoyable round for me. One of the best bits of ground in the country and the targets were awesome looking but all reasonable. Steve warned me that there would be some long stuff- and there was, but plenty of time to see them and find them. Testing but sensible. It was sunny and a bit cool in the wind, but not miserable like some recent shoots, where I feel the cold has `eaten away at me`. Good advice from Matt R to limber up and move to keep the muscles warm between stands! It paid dividends as I ended up on 85, which is my best for a while. 2nd in A when I left, but a good few scores yet to come in. Mickey Rouse was HG on 94 when I left. A great day for me, in good company!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif CSC3

Yep - Westfield turned into a bit of a ShootClay meet-up with 5 of us rattling round another wonderful course from Steve.As Fuz says - nothing silly out there, but some really interesting stands - I particularly enjoyed a pair of simo crows (4ex8) which were really tricky - and a l/r crosser off a tower with a fast driven on report which gave me a 1ex8. However - I liked two really long stands - a high std l/r followed by a r/l crosser at distance that required footwork to spin round between...surprised myself with a straight there, and then later a looping incomer followed by a high left to right crosser which I straighted as well.  Shot them all gun down as well, which pleased me as that technique seems to work for me on long targets where I have (too much) time to think.Rest of my card was pretty good and I finished up 70ex100 and was joint top of c-class when we left. Even more importantly was the fact I gave a decent account of myself at Westfield - I was grumpy to leave with 48ex100 last time and I needed to get 'back on the horse' quickly.It was great squad going round - just enough banter and some good solid shooting from all 5 of us. Lovely day out at a lovely ground.

Hi  Ive always enjoyed westfield although not always the score but 80 was okish ,the scaffold stand messed it up for me.That was a top notch layout today,its a difficult thing to do, but steve makes it enjoyable for all abilitys.Great company glad you shot well boys. Banger

Glad you all enjoyed it!  We did too (though Steve's knackered - running round filling the traps!!), a day full of good fluffy rabbits, good shooting and an up beat atmosphere.  That's what it's all about. Great scores, High Gun was Micky on 94, then Fred Townsend on 90 and 4 on 89 for 3rd in AA.  A class was won on 92 by Nick Portlock, 2nd John Krumins on 90 and 3rd Matt Harris on 87.  B class Mike pepperd on 79 with Graham Alder and Nat Eynon 3rd on 76.  Matt Rutherford (oh yes, you put those Gremlins to bed!) won C on jnt 70 with Neil Gardiner and Richard Timbrell took 3rd on 69. Overall payout over £1000!  1st place in each class have won £150 each.  Great result. Nice to see so many Welsh boys out too!  New faces and familiar faces, hopefully we will see you all again soon. Ally /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  (yes, I stole Steve's log in!  /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-embarassed.gif) PS - come and practice at Windrush on Saturday - 100 sporting registered, entries 10am to 2.30pm, only 2 minutes from Westfield! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif

How lucky is that Steve got it right again?Note must phone Kevin.He shot sthi today at crazey bear/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif

Whoop, I thought I was shooting with greatness and now its confirmed /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  Now get out of my class you bandit /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Great news! Thanks Ally - lovely day there! See you at Weston end of the month.... (doing a little happy dance!)

Just a quick thought - if any Glos shooters log into this, don't forget it's the AGM tomorrow night at the Farmers Club in Gloucester.  8pm start, everyone welcome and don't worry, we're not looking to find volunteers for anything - just people to get involved with County shoots!   If you've won any medals or trophies this year for County, this is the place to come and collect them from /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Wow - very well shot Matt, sounds like you all had a great day.  Just a bit too far for us unfortunately, although I'm sure we'll make the trek one day.

Yes another good shoot didnt shoot to well 75 need to try harder bloody teal will be the death of me but enjoyed /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif

Well shot Matt .was it following me all day/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif. 

Well shot Matt. B class is calling you ;-))Sounds like you all had a blast today.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Banger - definitely, I want you to be in front of me every time I shoot (better than behind me!)@Maxum - thats the aim!

@ Elvis, yeah gave me a nice grippy track to walk round /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  Matts punching way above his weight atm /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif @LHS you and me both /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif such an easy stand and I got 2/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif

The only sandbag is the one round my waist! Took me 2200 targets to get that - I put it down to graft!

Nice to see two ground owners (or their wives) posting the scores on here same day as the shoot./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Agreed - anyone who knows any other grounds that want to post here directly afterwards, get them in touch with me... I'm happy to help get stuff online - people would be amazed how many searches I get for "xxxxxxx ground scores" or the like...

Latest posts

Back