Views Please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro Am for me, set in stunning scenary, plus a third person in the team - through regional qualifying. So we have top shots, top sport/ tv stars and some of us normal shooters!

Format can be anything but show the watching viewer the shots that need to be taken like in golf with the dotted lines etc. Explain the skill needed to break the clay then watch our top shots miss and the sports / tv stars break them - format can be a series of contests raising money for charity.

Fans will watch to see their heroes do something different - Vettel beaten by Webber - priceless!

Top guns qualify to be the Pro.

And lesser shooters qualify to be the third man.
Sounds like "Superstars" meets "It's a Knockout", and whilst it sounds like it might be a gas, I'm not sure that it's what Phil had in mind in the opening post's question.

One other point about ISSF TV - outside of its own YouTube channel, which other commercial entity promotes their videos? Who pays for the ISSF (how is it funded) and I'll extend that to the production of their TV output? Also, they tend to cover pretty much exclusively Trap disciplines... which leads me onto my next point...

I think we can say, too, that potential sponsors tend to want to put their money where they will get the most bums-on-seats and bang for their buck - and as far as UK shooting is concerned, that's emphatically in the Sporting camp, and not Trap - if memory serves, the CPSA published figures in one of their PULL! mag's during the late Spring, early Summer this year, which stated that somewhere in the region of 87.7% of UK shooters are Sporting shooters - with ever decreasing percentages of shooters being distributed between the clutch of Trap disciplines; so it'll come as no shock that this [ESP] is where they would want to focus any future sponsorship funds.

Phil.  You might want to consider BT Sport.  I know they are open to suggestions...I also know they have an arrangement with Red Bull.

Also, these guys http://thepaintballshow.tv/ have a Paintball "magazine / chat" show about European Paintball on sky 192....so you probably could too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can say, too, that potential sponsors tend to want to put their money where they will get the most bums-on-seats and bang for their buck - and as far as UK shooting is concerned, that's emphatically in the Sporting camp, and not Trap - if memory serves, the CPSA published figures in one of their PULL! mag's during the late Spring, early Summer this year, which stated that somewhere in the region of 87.7% of UK shooters are Sporting shooters - with ever decreasing percentages of shooters being distributed between the clutch of Trap disciplines; so it'll come as no shock that this [ESP] is where they would want to focus any future sponsorship funds.

The above said, its perhaps worth considering that the added problem for Sporting, as a discipline, is that it does not lend itself to being televised.

Why? Well consider just how many cameras you would need to cover 12 to 15 stands to any decent standard? That's a hell of an expense before you've even attracted one viewer. Ironically, as the Olympics proved, Trap is tailor made for TV: all the shooters standing next to each other in a line, all taking simultaneous shots, tension as the end nears and you know how many clays a shooter needs to win, and the competition/heat over and a result known in a comparatively short time (certainly when compared to Sporting). And, with Trap, you can have just three or four static cameras covering all the action on one layout. But as we've just said, Trap is not what the main body of the shooting public want to watch (let alone the wider general public), and therein lies the dilemma for any potential sponsor: why should I back this if I'm not guaranteed an audience?

The above said, its perhaps worth considering that the added problem for Sporting, as a discipline, is that it does not lend itself to being televised.

Why? Well consider just how many cameras you would need to cover 12 to 15 stands to any decent standard? That's a hell of an expense before you've even attracted one viewer. Ironically, as the Olympics proved, Trap is tailor made for TV: all the shooters standing next to each other in a line, all taking simultaneous shots, tension as the end nears and you know how many clays a shooter needs to win, and the competition/heat over and a result known in a comparatively short time (certainly when compared to Sporting). And, with Trap, you can have just three or four static cameras covering all the action on one layout. But as we've just said, Trap is not what the main body of the shooting public want to watch (let alone the wider general public), and therein lies the dilemma for any potential sponsor: why should I back this if I'm not guaranteed an audience?
Golf anyone??  Coverage from Tee to Green on all 18 holes takes some horses$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wonder if a long range camera with a zoom lens facing the shooters would add spice to a televised shoot. Then you could focus on the face of the competitor as they prepare to shoot, then at the call for the bird switch to a camera behind showing the kill/loss. Does this seem plausible.

Phil*

I wonder if a long range camera with a zoom lens facing the shooters would add spice to a televised shoot. Then you could focus on the face of the competitor as they prepare to shoot, then at the call for the bird switch to a camera behind showing the kill/loss. Does this seem plausible.

Phil*
you get the front shot of faces on issf its interesting to see trap shooters immense focus on the task.

I wonder if a long range camera with a zoom lens facing the shooters would add spice to a televised shoot. Then you could focus on the face of the competitor as they prepare to shoot, then at the call for the bird switch to a camera behind showing the kill/loss. Does this seem plausible.

Phil*
Already happens Phil.....ISSF TV....who have it down to a tee with all 3 Olympic disciplines .

Of course flash clays are essential if you are doing anything for TV.

:wink:

I wonder if a long range camera with a zoom lens facing the shooters would add spice to a televised shoot. Then you could focus on the face of the competitor as they prepare to shoot, then at the call for the bird switch to a camera behind showing the kill/loss. Does this seem plausible.

Phil*
The White Gold Challenge coverage had small camera in the grouse butts.... that could easily be done in a sporting cage, or even in front of a FITASC sporting hoop

Golf anyone??  Coverage from Tee to Green on all 18 holes takes some horses$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yeah, coz shooting in the UK has a similar amount of big sponsor and prize money attached to it, like golf, right? Oh, wait... ;)

Phil*

you get the front shot of faces on issf its interesting to see trap shooters immense focus on the task.
As a number of you've pointed out, it's relatively easy to do for Trap, as the clays always throw the same distance and arcs - virtually a pan-n-scan gig for a camera. Sporting, not so much,.

The White Gold Challenge coverage had small camera in the grouse butts.... that could easily be done in a sporting cage, or even in front of a FITASC sporting hoop
True, but I'm not sure PC World's finest might offer the viewer the required HD quality experience a big event, like the the one Phil's seeking to put together, might need to offer.

I think this thread has run its course.

Let us focus on getting our Association working efficiently OR forming a Professional breakaway organisation.

I think this thread has run its course.

Let us focus on getting our Association working efficiently OR forming a Professional breakaway organisation.
OK Pete, you start it and I will join. I seem to remember back in the 80's or 90's someone started or attempted to start some other clay organisation. Who or what was it Pete, do you remember that?

Yes all of you are correct Mr. Phillip Boakes to be precise, who in hindsight although inefficient, didn't seem to embroil us in the sort of controversy we are currently in. But of course as I write, voting is now closed and so come Saturday evening we will now what direction the Association will be moving in.

I hope it is forward.

Note:- I do not want to form a breakaway organisation, as a member for more than forty years, I want us to sort ourselves out, promote the sport and have an organisation that we can all be proud of.

Interestingly enough at A West Midlands Regional meeting on 24th of June 2013 I asked Mr. Nick Fellows if it was possible for the Board to resign en mass and for us to elect a working Board from candidates who put forward their CV and what they could do for the Association and to be elected by members vote rather than the current situation of Board members being in post unelected and disfunctional. I was told this was not practical, legal or possible in the time frame.

At a later date, sometime  after the West Midlands Meeting we have an interesting situation occur , as follows:- 

East Midlands had a candidate nominated by the Regional Committee but opposed by the Board so they then asked for nominations, selected candidates and held a ballot and had a successful and acceptable candidate elected to the Board. So is this yet another example of the Regional Committees being more efficient than the Board of Directors, and should we not give the operation of our association to the Regional Committees to administer ? After all most Regional Committees are composed of active competing members of the CPSA who have their members interests at heart.  

At times you have to think big, you have to really push the boundary and she what could be done. The idea is there, but right now fleshing it all out and getting as much feedback as possible to put the meat on the bones. I have looked at other sports, spoken to those in other sports too and really feel we can do something to piggy back on some already great formats and see if we could put something together, even a Series aspect - so things like White Gold, Starshot could be part of the Series. It is in an idea format right now, hence getting as much feedback as possible, but I really do see we can do something.
Phil I'm up for it but I think it would be important to keep entry prices sensible

Back