Vat reduction

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a joke right?? Most of the grounds didn't want to close . Most came back as soon as and some whacked up the price hoping we wouldn't notice because we were keen to get back. Well done to all grounds that have held their pre lockdown prices. And especially well done to one near me that appreciated their customers and put their prices down. 

Jasper.
You have a choice if grounds raise prices because as you said people are keen to go shooting then don’t use those grounds.there was a flood of people booking for the first couple of weeks at grounds near me but now they are relative ghost towns most of the week.also many people like myself regularly drive many miles bypassing local grounds because of the poor quality of the targets so a couple of pounds off for a couple of months is not something that is going to be of great significance in one of the most expensive sports in this country.it will be interesting to see how many range rovers jaguars mercs etc are parked in the grounds car parks because of the few pounds saving you all crave

.it will be interesting to see how many range rovers jaguars mercs etc are parked in the grounds car parks because of the few pounds saving you all crave
Yep. And that's just the ground owners. 😁

Jasper. 

It amazes me how clay shooters manage to whine at the price of everything,grounds costs clays apart are going up all the time.

Energy,wages,rents,insurance,etc yet they have a major discussion about how unfair it is to them that clays go up by a couple pence.

You would be whining more if there were no grounds...

The problem with giving "a wad of" money to taxpayers is that generally people pay off debt and don't spend it - or in hard times they put it under a mattress. The VAT rate drop is to make stuff cheaper and incline Joe public to spend money as the price has reduced (supply and demand). If the leisure industry don't pass the benefit of the VAT drop on then these type of incentives will rarely happen again - both because the public see them (the industry) as greedy and (more importantly) the government realise it does little for the economy.

You would be whining more if there were no grounds...
This. Over here, no new grounds are ever opening (at least not anywhere I know of), whereas grounds do close down. With the price of land at a premium, permits, noise regulations,  safety concerns, upkeep and purchase of machinery and what not, I cherish the fact that I can shoot at a location that is within a 20 minute drive. Used to be another at an hours drive, but that is closing. While that may cement the position of other grounds somewhat, you can't tell what the future has in store for those grounds. So I try and do my best in supporting business at my local grounds, and hope it stays where it is. If that means paying a margin over shells or clays, so be it. Partaking in a sponsorship deal? Count me in. Donation? Same. Over in the UK you may have a lot more shooters and grounds to cater for them, but here we are at the short end of the stick when it comes down to both demand and offerings and I hope that won't apply in the UK for a long time. But given the declining numbers, it may eventually.

That said, VAT incentives are to encourage spending, not hoarding.   

God forbid they make a profit from their investments. After all land and traps are so cheap along with staff wages etc
Haven’t seen my wages going up recently perhaps I should get a job at a clay shoot 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
God forbid they make a profit from their investments. After all land and traps are so cheap along with staff wages etc
Ok so talking to some ground owners over the last few weeks it's become apparent that other ground owners are taking the P a bit. Said ground owners have stated to me that anyone who has put up their prices post lockdown are just being greedy. Straight from the horse's mouth. ( A ground owner)  . So it's a free country , believe who/ what you want. Just saying . 

Not begrudging anyone a decent living but along with lots of others I do object to being a cash cow. In fact many ground owners have also stated that with the new snake system operating  post lockdown that they can actually get more shooters through. Resulting in more profit without the need to raise prices further.  

So much so I hear it will become the new norm. 

Kind regards 

Jasper. 

Ok so talking to some ground owners over the last few weeks it's become apparent that other ground owners are taking the P a bit. Said ground owners have stated to me that anyone who has put up their prices post lockdown are just being greedy. Straight from the horse's mouth. ( A ground owner)  . So it's a free country , believe who/ what you want. Just saying . 

Not begrudging anyone a decent living but along with lots of others I do object to being a cash cow. In fact many ground owners have also stated that with the new snake system operating  post lockdown that they can actually get more shooters through. Resulting in more profit without the need to raise prices further.  

So much so I hear it will become the new norm. 

Kind regards 

Jasper. 
Grounds that raise prices to try and grab extra are indeed in the wrong and you can vote with your wallet but as far as I know the reduction in vat will not apply to clay shooting so people need not worry to much about a possible saving of 3 or 4 pounds . A bigger advantage would be if the new rate was applied to guns now that would have been reason to rejoice

Back