U.K. Sporting Trip

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoop

A friend and I were talking about taking a trip from the U.S. to the UK to visit shooting grounds and taking one or two lessons while there.  So I realize that I am opening the discussion to the standard ration of p#$$ taking/anti-yank sentiment that accompanies any U.S./U.K shooting discussion but here goes.  If it could be combined with an interesting competition (FITASC or Sporting) or two that would be great but not primary concern. The trip is only in the research phase now.  

A: What grounds would you consider a must not miss? 

[SIZE=12pt]B:  If you could take lessons from two U.K. Coaches whom would you see? (Solomons on the short list aready) [/SIZE]

Hoop, how long are you planning on coming for and when? Loads of exellent grounds and all the good coaches need booked in advance...

Loads of must see grounds and competitions - when are you thinking of Hoop? 

Why not time your trip and shoot one or two of the majors over here? I live I the midlands and there are loads of grounds only an hour on all four points of the compass, some grounds here have lodges that you may book..ie high lodge etc

www.proshock.co.uk

The competitions are a secondary concern really. Over here if it is a week or even a month or two before the Nationals, or the Open any big competition any Coach that you want to take a lesson with is booked. So realistically we could be there for two weeks at the most. I would rather take a lesson and improve my game long term then come back for a major shot later. 

Right now we are just talking about when/ and where maybe summer of 2015 it is all just a notion right now.  We have 2 wives and 5 kids to consider. It may all remain a pipe dream. 

At this juncture we are just trying to get an idea of where to go and whom to consider. I have found that, for me, the secret to a relaxing vacation is to do you homework, do not over commit yourself so as to have time to savor the experiences that you were looking forward to, and to leave time for lengthy meals.  I am not a "on the bus, off the bus, on the bus, off the bus" type of traveler.   

Well, I think if you want fitasc/sporting then you have to get to these grounds - in no specific order:

West Midlands Shooting Ground - Hodnet -http://www.wmsg.co.uk/

Westfield, Weston Wood or Garlands - www.theclayshootingcompany.com

Barrow Heath

High Lodge - http://highlodge.co.uk

The list could get quite long, and you will definitely need a decent hire car  :biggrin:

I would add Barbury - great ground

Grimsthorpe

Grange Farm

I have a friend who lives in the us and he has been here many times as I have been over there and these are the grounds that he loves to shoot.

ladys wood, west London,royal berks,grimsthorpe, hodnet,southdown,mid Norfolk, roundwood to name but a few I will name more as I remember them.

as for coaching I wood say steve nutbeam he done wonders for me.

if you need anymore info please email me I have been driving my mate around this country for nearly 20 years.

good luck

Thanks for all the input this is a very good start. I now wish I took better advantage when English coaches like Ben H and Nutbeam came to Houston. That would have been less elaborate! 

If it were me I would plan the trip in the game season that way you could get a lesson or two in, and have a day or two on a couple of the countrys' finest game shoots whilst you're here ;)

Latest posts

Back