Turn back time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my experience, c class is won with 80 to 85 minimum, B looks to me to be about 90 then there's the 90 plusses club.

I started this game in January and was recently bumped into B class at my local club ( relatively easy targets and you get a midweek practice! ) but I'm still clawing my way up the official C class.

In 10 months I have spent north of £12k on 14000 shells and clays, two guns, entering 20 plus odd sporting, fitasc and compak shoots and driving all over the South/southeast uk and had a ball! I am fortunate to be able to afford to spend some money but the thought of donating money to someone with years of experience every week would stop me cold. I'd stick to club shooting.

The class system gives me the opportunity to get 'on the podium' against my peers, middle aged old farts with very little hope of ever beating GD at shooting even if only because I don't have 40 years left to gain the experience in!

The cream will rise to the top, in any sport, the Olympians and world champions always find their level but forcing everyone to compete against the 'supermen' robs every sport of the rank and file that make up the vast majority of club members, national body subscribers, tuition customers and purchasers of used and new hardware.
I did say the scores reflect a balanced shoot.

If C is being won with 85 and B 90 then its to easy.

66% is C so why are these people in C?

I have not seen regular scores as you suggest at the grounds I shoot.

We are talking Sporting here not trap. Lot of Trap talk on this post.

CPSA averages - English Sporting

86.7 & above--AAA

82.4 - 86.6--AA

75.0 - 82.3--A

67.8 - 74.9--B

67.7 & below--C

Last edited by a moderator:
I did say the scores reflect a balanced shoot.

If C is being won with 85 and B 90 then its to easy.

66% is C so why are these people in C?

I have not seen regular scores as you suggest at the grounds I shoot.

We are talking Sporting here not trap. Lot of Trap talk on this post.
Slight drift .....

Horne today C: 85 B:91 A: 95 AA:91 Hg 97

Horne 19th C: 85 B: 85 A:88 AA: 90 Hg 91

Southdown 26th C: 81 B: 90 A: 89 AA: 89 Hg 91

Southdown 06/04 C: 77 B: 91 A: 97 AA: 91 Hg: 99

Southdown is rarely described as 'easy'. With a spread of 10 between hg and C winner there is something adrift with the system. 66 won't get you anywhere in C in the southeast! :) :)

It won't get you anything anywhere really , chances are if 66 won c class the high gun would be around 85 ish , way toooo hard nowadays

It won't get you anything anywhere really , chances are if 66 won c class the high gun would be around 85 ish , way toooo hard nowadays

I agree. But that's the Cpsa averages. They must be representative or they have no point.

I shoot Southdown. It's not easy. Today in the wind very testing.

90 in B down there is exceptional. Good shooting. More than A.

Many 2nd 3rds as said.

Gone back a fair way for those scores.

I'm all for progression but do the cut offs % need to be raised!

If as said the classes are there so shooters compete against equal shooters abilities in that class.

I personally think it's more important for me to put on an entertaining shoot with good combinations and variety rather than worry what scores will win each class

I personally think it's more important for me to put on an entertaining shoot with good combinations and variety rather than worry what scores will win each class
+1

Never have a clue what class I am in anyway ....sh*te class at sporting I presume...but do I care.

Well done Mr Lovatt one must say your a breath of fresh air in the sport & the effort you guys make is admirable :))

I agree Steve.

But as said on this forum shooters regularty look up each others scores / classes on the CPSA so they know what everyone is doing that matters to them.

There's even a bagging time post on here.

If the classes are out of touch with the scores then its all a waste of time IMO.

I pesonally could not care less, I go where the good shooting is to be had, my class is irrelavent to me but bothers others as I have had a run of bad shooting (almost a year now)so I dropped to a low class.

One of the more interesting things to come out from this type of thread is the huge numbers of people who unfailingly say they go shooting for great targets and not because of the chance of placing and getting a few quid back yet an equally large number also seem to resent NOT having much of a chance of placing (unless they shoot real good of course) !? 

:drag:   :nea:

In actual fact, Steve puts on varied and interesting shoots that also happen to place shooters scores about right IMO. Because he gets big entries, he tends to get some high looking class wins which just happens if you have say 50 people in the class. Somebody will have a good day.

The other thing that has been said before is that the scores that win C, B and A will always be higher than the CPSA cut offs suggest, as these are the classes that host the rising shooters. By definition, if you are in A class, that is because you shot A class scores when in B or C, the lower class you came from. Durr..

When did sporting turn in to trap, averages should mean nothing in sporting, why are course setters conforming to this I want a winning score of about 95, I like when a course kicks my ass makes me hungry again, but even for the top shooters it should not be a game of don't miss (it is now) make them work and not just with distance or edge on,put them out of shape for the on report, course setters know how to do this but are under to much pressure from the moaners who only judge a shoot on how well they scored,

you dont visit me very often then , hahaha genrally i have high guns of 93 to 95 with the classes being won just above the high end , but nowadays dont seem to matter what i do someone will go mad as brett did at the British and mark at the Classic 

One of the more interesting things to come out from this type of thread is the huge numbers of people who unfailingly say they go shooting for great targets and not because of the chance of placing and getting a few quid back yet an equally large number also seem to resent NOT having much of a chance of placing (unless they shoot real good of course) !? 

:drag:   :nea:
May be its just me!!

But this sounds like a Wonko quote.

Just saying.

Not directed at you personally Steve, in general that's the way it's gone, my point was averages only work for trap skeet (consistent birds) games, sporting to variable

It will only work in sporting when you have rolling averages, we have the technology to do it, just lacking the will. It would even out irregularities in the class system and may encourage more shooters to enter competitions. Of course it could also do love all, but if you don't try something different how will you ever know?

Not sure I understand your thinking Steve. At any of those shoots I quoted there were blokes carding 40's 50's and 60's. I think the point is that the places in C regularly go to scores well over the published C averages. It's not really about the excellent clays that blokes like you set up for us it's more about how the classification system is working.
Any of the classes are regularly won by people with scores at the top or beyond the class above their ranking. Which kind of implies that they arein the wrong class entirely.

Not sure I understand your thinking Steve. At any of those shoots I quoted there were blokes carding 40's 50's and 60's. I think the point is that the places in C regularly go to scores well over the published C averages. It's not really about the excellent clays that blokes like you set up for us it's more about how the classification system is working.

Any of the classes are regularly won by people with scores at the top or beyond the class above their ranking. Which kind of implies that they arein the wrong class entirely.
They (rapidly improving shooters) are only in the wrong class because they are in it for 6-12 months before their scores actually elevate them. I think a huge amount of issues (real or perceived) would be nailed by more frequent grading. Or even grade every six months as now, but don't look back a year each time. What's that all about!?

For many shooters who don't do that many registereds, you need at least 3 months to capture enough scores. Introduce a rule that you only get regraded if you have done at least 6 shoots.

Am i missing something??

It shows on HQ site that C class is from 'no where near it score' up to 67.7.......that is a lot of hitters that really do not have to worry about really winning anything until their scores are way away from the 60's.......honest.

As for those putting in higher than the average......don't worry....they will go up....could be quick learners. (Then the next lot will be coming through.

Best to just worry about hitting them rather than anything else. Perfect the skill and enjoy it whilst doing it. Don't be side tracked with what if's.....

Welcome to the world of shooting :wink:

Back