Turn back time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't want to pee on your chips will but thirty years trying hasn't helped either ;)

Onwards and upwards as they say.

Sure. I will plateau out again and it's probably soon. But I am pleased it's at a reasonable level for a late starter such as me. Can't see me quitting anytime soon..

interesting comments by all , just to clarify i am NOT saying i am thinking of running shoots this way at all . 

it really intrigues me though why some people are rushing into the dubai shoot at £300 entry fee , harder targets than can ever be imagined over here , prizes only for 75 out of 1000 entries at a total cost of about £2000 the whole trip , guess it must be the sence of occasion , hot sunshine and the hospitallity that does it 

Will

the main difference between top shots and the rest of us cannon fodder is not the ability to put a good score in but the mentality that they are able to do so week in week out. Most go to a shoot with a hope that they shoot well a top shooter approaches a shoot with an arrogant expectation that he or she will shoot well.

This is what my experience has shown me. I am not a top shot but on rare occasions I have shone and notably on most of those occasions for some unknown reason I just new it was my day. The week after for some reason that confidence left me and the cycle continues.

Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through such pain and let down.

interesting comments by all , just to clarify i am NOT saying i am thinking of running shoots this way at all . 

it really intrigues me though why some people are rushing into the dubai shoot at £300 entry fee , harder targets than can ever be imagined over here , prizes only for 75 out of 1000 entries at a total cost of about £2000 the whole trip , guess it must be the sence of occasion , hot sunshine and the hospitallity that does it
Steve your last sentence sums it up. It's the same reason folk shoot the kriegof it's being involved in the occasion that is the pull.

If you think this system will improve your entries Steve then I wouldn't book your holidays until after you've tried it for a few shoots. 

As far as paying out more to AA and A shooters is concerned, I haven't heard anything so daft in my life. So the B and C class shooters subsidise them? Whats that all about?
This post just about wraps it up in a nutshell for me! in most cases clayshooting is a hobby/pastime for the entrants and a business for the ground owner the way i see it is the £40 entry fee from a C/B Class shooter is worth the same as it is from a AA shooter. Looking through rose tinted glasses is all good and well but if you want your profits to half overnight then give it a bash. would be interesting to see how many AA shots would turn up with NO prize money or high gun prize.

What a great thread.

Different opinions and slight drift but all in a most friendly and informative manner.

I love a good topic. Just saying :)

I can see, and agree, with quite a few points here, especially the international shoots,,,and although it`s not what Steve's  post was asking,, the class system in sporting needs to be a percentage of the winning score,, not how many you hit,   which also relies on a decent shoot, where the winning score is not 95+ ex a 100.not saying the shoot must be hard, but  say 6or7 `international` targets,,( not doubles!) are included, along with a decent spread of various style targets to suit all ability. which is not hard if you have experience ,!

so a score of 89 ex 100 wins,, and a score of 73 is not 73%,,it`s 64.7%,,  C class.    so classes  are % of top score. still not perfect tho.  

Spot on Steve, I've tried to convince the mrs she needs a bit of sun on her back in dubai but she's not having any off it,

I would love to go , even as a complete no hoper, the sense of occasion and atmosphere would be fantastic,

Sadly can't justify that kind of money on a holiday for myself, but wish all that are going, ( especially the B and C classes ) all the very best and hope they enjoy the buzz of being part of a great event.

My best hope is that my friend and coach Andrew White and his wife Janine Preece come home with some of those dollars, Andrew was just outside the top 50 last year, while Janine was 4th in the ladies, bagging 10,000 dollars, the way Andrew is shooting at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to see them both in the money ( watch this space)

Bloody big plus one to Jim.

Count back from HG is imo the only fare and valid way to work out class as all variables of the day are covered. I and others have said same any times so why is such a blatantly obvious method not implemented. ?

Spot on Steve, I've tried to convince the mrs she needs a bit of sun on her back in dubai but she's not having any off it,I would love to go , even as a complete no hoper, the sense of occasion and atmosphere would be fantastic,Sadly can't justify that kind of money on a holiday for myself, but wish all that are going, ( especially the B and C classes ) all the very best and hope they enjoy the buzz of being part of a great event.My best hope is that my friend and coach Andrew White and his wife Janine Preece come home with some of those dollars, Andrew was just outside the top 50 last year, while Janine was 4th in the ladies, bagging 10,000 dollars, the way Andrew is shooting at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to see them both in the money ( watch this space)
Ashley

do what I do work all the major shoots around holidays. Job done.

Bloody big plus one to Jim.

Count back from HG is imo the only fare and valid way to work out class as all variables of the day are covered. I and others have said same any times so why is such a blatantly obvious method not implemented. ?
+1

Scenario

Many years ago two shooters working up the classes both currently C class but about 86% just into B class next year. The last abt shoot for the book shooter one decides on Sunday morning that it's to wet and windy. Shooter two ever eager says stuff it and shoots in terrible weather a credible on the day 77 only 5 behind high gun and wins c class easily. This score is enough to keep shooter two in c class for another year as it was in those days. Shooter one laughs his tackle off and goes into B shooter two gets called sand bagger as wins class pretty much every week for the next year.

Is this scenario fare on anyone as count back system would have put shooter two in B were he belonged?

Some dramatic licence but story generally true.

P's

shooter two was me.

Ashley quote.

Spot on Steve, I've tried to convince the mrs she needs a bit of sun on her back in dubai but she's not having any off it,I would love to go , even as a complete no hoper, the sense of occasion and atmosphere would be fantastic,Sadly can't justify that kind of money on a holiday for myself,

Same for me Ashley.

It's a shame the wives cannot get together while we're shooting go shopping site seeing etc.

Steve your last sentence sums it up. It's the same reason folk shoot the kriegof it's being involved in the occasion that is the pull.
Thread Drift warning. But Ian started it !!! I know what his game is trying to gode a response.

Well ha ha I'm not biting. Les might. But I got his back.

Ha to the deliberate spelling mistake.

Resist Rosso don't bite, go now, Gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what trap shooting wife's do. You lot need to man up.

Psst don't tell Mrs ips I said that.

Great thread. The Class system is all well and good. Especially from a business perspective and I've won a few quid here and there which is great.However some of my favourite shoots this year, Dubai, Cyprus, Hodnet, have not been classed. A shoot without classes won't prevent me entering at all. I shoot to become a better shot, I compete against the course and for the bigger majors it's the sense of occasion e.g Dubai.

Ha.

It's still there mate but I am trying to kill it with Scottish medication as prescribed

cheers hic.

Let's be honest about Dubai Steve...Amhad is having to dangle a pretty big carrot to get shooters to enter his shoot!!! Last year it was shot as FITASC sporting, the shooting side sounded appealing, the prize fund was huge, it was free, it was in a hot and sunny climate...yet it still wasn't full. The guys that went came back with stories of fabulous hospitality, no money spared, great weather, great time had by all, but mental targets. Everyone was waiting with baited breath for this years entry to open, no entry fee refund, hmmm...ok, not FITASC (as expected) but 5 stands of 5 simo pairs...half way round the world to shoot 5 stands of 5 simo pairs per day?!?! That's fine if you there witha realistic chance of finishing in the $$$ or have enough disposable income to go a sunshine shooting holiday in February and Dubai gives you a good excuse. Part of me thinks, "Why don't you just put up the $$$ and run the biggest money Double Trap shoot on earth..."

If/when I get round to sinking £2k+ into shooting overseas, it will be a World/European FITASC in a country with more than sand for scenery or big US sporting shoot with all the side events!!!

I don't particularly fancy Dubai without the shooting, desert city's are not my thing, the 'appeal' of spending £2k+ for getting to shoot 5 stands, of 5 pairs per day, in the awe inspiring topography of a beach doesn't change that...now, if I was in with a chance of making top 75 and winning most/more than my £2k back then it would be a no brainer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back