Trigger weight adjustment

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

New to rifle shooting, does this make of a difference? I assume that it makes shot placement more consistent as less resistance?  I'm trying to figure whether I should Start playing around with this or not

New to rifle shooting, does this make of a difference? I assume that it makes shot placement more consistent as less resistance?  I'm trying to figure whether I should Start playing around with this or not
Trigger quality and weight is number 25 on the list of important factors in shot guns but in rifles and air guns it's huge, probably second only to the quality of the ammo and barrel. 

As a rough rule you need a noticeable but light first stage travel with a definable stop leading to a predictable and consistent break/snap, below 2 lbs is not uncommon even for a hunting air gun and some go a fair bit lighter, I'd imagine a centre fire will need to be a bit on the safer/heavier poundage though. 

Too light a break can also lead to inaccuracy issues. I always have my .22 rimfires sorted as they tend not to be manually adjustable. 

Some cheap rifles have horrible triggers loads of creep and 6 or more lbs pull. But most decent makes have good adjustable triggers I find 3 lbs is perfect.

It's a Briwning T Bolt, no adverse trigger creep but at its current setting it is more of a 'pull' than a squeeze..

CAUTION / WARNING

Please do not alter trigger pulls if you are unskilled at this work .

Go to a GOOD gunsmith and discuss your requyirements and if feasable get a skilled gunsmith to adjust for you to your requirements.

Thanks for advice, instruction book just says use provided Allen key and wind counter clockwise, any reason to ignore this?

As I implied PP you really do need to know what you are doing , or it could be expensive to repair .

Using the information you have been given in the instruction leaflet , first you need to have some idea what you really want ?

You could reduce the Pull weight , but you will need an accurate trigger pull scale to do it properly .

Concentrate on reducing wasted movement (slack) and eliminate creep .

You are looking for a trigger release that can best be described as like snapping glass . One second firm and with resistance and then in the next micro second the trigger as released .

Don't mess with triggers unless you really know what you are doing!!! Depending on the type of rifle you have and what you use it for, it is possible to buy various spring/trigger kits which can reduce or increase trigger weight, as well as reduce slack and creep/drag. 

The OP is saying his gun has a factory adjustable trigger.

If it has, I'd suggest you ignore all the dire warnings above. If you find its current pull weight too much, then go ahead and adjust it to a weight you're happier with.

Reduce the weight in small increments ( eg an eighth of a turn at a time) until you get it to where you're comfortable. That's what adjustable triggers are for :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trigger quality and weight is number 25 on the list of important factors in shot guns but in rifles and air guns it's huge, probably second only to the quality of the ammo and barrel. 

As a rough rule you need a noticeable but light first stage travel with a definable stop leading to a predictable and consistent break/snap, below 2 lbs is not uncommon even for a hunting air gun and some go a fair bit lighter, I'd imagine a centre fire will need to be a bit on the safer/heavier poundage though. 

Too light a break can also lead to inaccuracy issues. I always have my .22 rimfires sorted as they tend not to be manually adjustable. 
Set triggers are very very light after been set. Never had any gauge on mine but I would guess in the 1.5 lb to 2 lb range.

Okay, after more than fifty years at the bench I will bow out and listen in future to Mickster , Newbie Clay Shooter . Who after all is entitled to his opinion .

Note.

No people were harmed , injured or killed after listening to advice I have offered and remember my cost, FREE.

Adios Amigos.

If you adjust the trigger pull you need to do bolt slam test to see if your is safe and holds on the sear the same as bumping the butt on a bit rubber to ses if the sear holds doing BOTH if it go off not SAFE. I would do this six times

As I implied PP you really do need to know what you are doing , or it could be expensive to repair .

Using the information you have been given in the instruction leaflet , first you need to have some idea what you really want ?

You could reduce the Pull weight , but you will need an accurate trigger pull scale to do it properly .

Concentrate on reducing wasted movement (slack) and eliminate creep .

You are looking for a trigger release that can best be described as like snapping glass . One second firm and with resistance and then in the next micro second the trigger as released .
Ok, thanks, I will leave it alone for now I think, the instruction book only relates to 'pull weight'.  I will see how I get on and then consult gun smith if necessary..

The OP is saying his gun has a factory adjustable trigger.

If it has, I'd suggest you ignore all the dire warnings above. If you find its current pull weight too much, then go ahead and adjust it to a weight you're happier with.

Reduce the weight in small increments ( eg an eighth of a turn at a time) until you get it to where you're comfortable. That's what adjustable triggers are for :smile:
Yes, it has, I might consult the gunsmith anyway, it can't hurt...

If you adjust the trigger pull you need to do bolt slam test to see if your is safe and holds on the sear the same as bumping the butt on a bit rubber to ses if the sear holds doing BOTH if it go off not SAFE. I would do this six times
OK that settles it, I will follow all advice given but under guidance from gunsmith as Salopisn suggests.. I don't want to kill something that I can't eat..

I adjusted the triggers on all my rifles with no problems. They only adjust a very small range. If you need it really light you need to get out the diamond files.

I adjusted the triggers on all my rifles with no problems.
Same here.

PP - You might have seen this already but in case not there's a useful article here that discusses the T Bolt (in .22 cal) and its heavy trigger - 4.5lbs or so. Can be got down to 3.5lbs or so with the adjustment screw. If you want to go lower than that, then the article includes details & pics for further refinement beyond the factory adjuster.

These might be helpful for your gunsmith if you choose to go that route.

Latest posts

Back