Trap shooting - looooong way ahead, how long?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foldAA

Hey,

so im into trap shooting (international/bunker trap) for like a month (wow! i know). Been shooting some skeet just for fun

with no real coaching  for previous 2 months etc. Just me, gun and clays. Results were bad and improvement was slow... but im easy on it

first time holding a O/U and starting with game of skeet is not an easy task when left alone :p

Now im attending regular training (now it's once per week, when i get my gun will try to make it >2) with coach and other regulars etc.

What's considered good result for a month/3months of shooting? Averaging 15 is ok? low 20?

Should i be keeping scores? if so how? what for?

Outside of regular trainings what can i do to improve my shooting/score? Any homework?

Should i set myself a goal for next 3 months or something? For example 25 straight?

Help me out!

Jacob

------edit-----

not sure if its right category, can mod please move to more suitable forum please?

------

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jacob I'll assume you're still taking your first steps at Olympic trap. If you can get on a layout alone shoot single barrel until you can manage 50%. Next stage is 2 barrel shooting until you can hit 20 in a round then you can enter a competition shoot with some confidence. When you reach 20 of your kills are first barrel you will be able to compete for your national team. 2 years required. 

Look for the renato lamera book "A target in the sky" (Olympic trap)

Last edited by a moderator:
superb!
Thanks alot!

50% with single barrel is almost a regular now.
Im struggling with 2nd barrel as its a bit slow...im waiting to see if 1st did the job then fire the 2nd one...

Any tips for working at home? What can i do to get better?

Thanks again!

Do your gunmounts at home even Olympic champions do that. I noticed your Polish team members clicking away in the corner last month which raised a few eyebrows as we don't normally fire on empty barrels. Watch your balance - we don't shoot off one leg as you need to rotate in either direction. Follow through your target and shoot the largest remaining piece. We do this to keep the head in the gun.

fdt

Latest posts

Back