Trap Shooters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
obviously Beverley and Rufforth, Hazelbank do but you just cant turn up and use it. Park Lodge have the layouts but they never seem to be working. Cant think of any others after that.
All of those plus Coniston SG, Humberside SG. There’s also Spennymoor SG, Penrith SG and Steve Smiths not too far away.

All of those plus Coniston SG, Humberside SG. There’s also Spennymoor SG, Penrith SG and Steve Smiths not too far away.
forgot about Coniston, but never been there ,a bitch of a journey. Only been to Humberside once, but DTL looked run down and unused for years. In reality I think only Rufforth and Beverley can be classed as active Trap grounds 

Kelbrook has a trap  layout with acoustic release over the lake , which can be used for ball trap if you ask .  It’s  normally set up as part of the ‘ Snooker ‘ , but is regularly used by for its intended purpose . 

I think Penrith is comps only - no practice.  Further south there's Holmes Chapel SG (superb ground)...DTL only.

Without doubt ESP is the most popular discipline thanks to the variety of targets. I find DTL very boring. Want to have a go at ABT and Helice but it’s a question of finding a ground and someone to show me how to shoot it. 

Brooks Bank near Cheddar does DTL and Skeet and I think one of their DTL ranges can be used for ABT but otherwise that’s about it for grounds I have shot at. If some of the grounds just made minor investments and changes they could offer a variety of trap disciplines rather than just one. 

the UK has produced at least one world class female ABT shot and plenty of other trap discipline champions. 

Without doubt ESP is the most popular discipline thanks to the variety of targets. I find DTL very boring. Want to have a go at ABT and Helice but it’s a question of finding a ground and someone to show me how to shoot it. 

Brooks Bank near Cheddar does DTL and Skeet and I think one of their DTL ranges can be used for ABT but otherwise that’s about it for grounds I have shot at. If some of the grounds just made minor investments and changes they could offer a variety of trap disciplines rather than just one. 

the UK has produced at least one world class female ABT shot and plenty of other trap discipline champions. 
This country has had some of the best trap shooters on the planet, I won’t attempt to name them. 😂

Yes DTL can seem boring BUT…..it’s a total mind game, you could hit 100 birds straight, but the guy who hits 99 or less could beat you, if you took too many second barrels. 
That kind of pressure is a nightmare. 
ABT is a great discipline, even though they’ve messed about with it several times as far as I know.

If you really want to try the heavy stuff, have a bash at OT. A totally unforgiving discipline. Yes OT can be shot at Brook Bank, in fact I’ve shot it there myself many many times. Once you get hooked on it there’s no way back. It’s a totally different game to DTL, some take to it, some don’t. 

This country has produced some of the worlds best OT shooters without a doubt, I’m fortunate enough to have shot with one or two of them over the years, but I usually got totally slaughtered of course 😂

This country has had some of the best trap shooters on the planet, I won’t attempt to name them. 😂

Yes DTL can seem boring BUT…..it’s a total mind game, you could hit 100 birds straight, but the guy who hits 99 or less could beat you, if you took too many second barrels. 
That kind of pressure is a nightmare. 
ABT is a great discipline, even though they’ve messed about with it several times as far as I know.

If you really want to try the heavy stuff, have a bash at OT. A totally unforgiving discipline. Yes OT can be shot at Brook Bank, in fact I’ve shot it there myself many many times. Once you get hooked on it there’s no way back. It’s a totally different game to DTL, some take to it, some don’t. 

This country has produced some of the worlds best OT shooters without a doubt, I’m fortunate enough to have shot with one or two of them over the years, but I usually got totally slaughtered of course 😂

agree with all that.

My favourite day out is a ride over to Beverley (East Yorks Shooting Ground) its a fantastic trap ground with excellent facilities and all the 4 trap disciplines always available. We have some great sporting grounds in Yorkshire too, but the experience at Beverley beats them all. However thats only my opinion, others probably disagree.

agree with all that.

My favourite day out is a ride over to Beverley (East Yorks Shooting Ground) its a fantastic trap ground with excellent facilities and all the 4 trap disciplines always available. We have some great sporting grounds in Yorkshire too, but the experience at Beverley beats them all. However thats only my opinion, others probably disagree.
No disagreement here, it’s probably the best trap/skeet ground in the country.

Ultimately, you pay your money and take your choice. I tried sporting many years ago, it wasn’t for me. Trap involves everything the sport should be. Friendly atmosphere, consistent targets, fierce competition and very little cheating. Unfortunately, from what I hear, this can’t be said for all disciplines.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the disciplines are in the decline, sporting stays strong and the masses will always be lead there. Many grounds I’m at are removing discipline ranges world wide.  

Olympic futures don’t look bright 

The IOC are all about money nowadays and have been for quite sometime. What gives the best TV coverage is what its all about now.

Millions spent on building facilities at different countries of which most never get used again. It's just not sustainable anymore  

The IOC are all about money nowadays and have been for quite sometime. What gives the best TV coverage is what its all about now.

Millions spent on building facilities at different countries of which most never get used again. It's just not sustainable anymore  
Oh please don’t get me started on that one mate. 
The IOC should be shut down! 
Look at all the crap that is now included in the Olympics in general. 

Shooting as a whole is deemed as taboo now, we are backing a loser. Let’s have some green eco friendly tart stuff, how about Olympic Origami? 
Sorry I will get my coat and leave the room to the tree hugging people.

Shooting IS confirmed for 2028 so ok till then at least, Paralympics decision will come in January for 2028 and fingers crossed may (and its a big may) have shotgun para trap.Ive herd for the last 20 odd years how we're dooooooomed and its being axed and everything dies at some point so yes at some point it will.Eco wise we have used resin clays for some while now and whilst our mess can be picked up alternatives are on route.

Why the ioc get such a hard on about all events being in one place baffles me the cost and legacies left would work out much better if they upgraded current facilities for a games and now we have such a high speed technology all media can work well together regardless of distance.

Shooting IS confirmed for 2028 so ok till then at least, Paralympics decision will come in January for 2028 and fingers crossed may (and its a big may) have shotgun para trap.Ive herd for the last 20 odd years how we're dooooooomed and its being axed and everything dies at some point so yes at some point it will.Eco wise we have used resin clays for some while now and whilst our mess can be picked up alternatives are on route.
You’re right. Fast trap shooting in the UK’s in quite a healthy place at the moment. You only need to go to one of the British Shooting events around the country to see that. The ISSF’s not perfect but there’s little doubt the sport’s flourishing generally with an increasing level of participation both from existing and new nations. Thanks in part to Mr Lisin’s money and influence, a focus on developing young talent and improved online and terrestrial coverage. It’s also reasonably well placed to weather the changes the sport will face over the coming years.

Trap will never share the popularity of the more ‘casual’ clay shooting disciplines but to suggest it’s about to disappear is, as Paul B says, a line that been trotted out for years. It was wrong then and it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back