To Teague or not to Teague?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The prices used to be on the website, seems with the new snazzy site the pricing has gone (progress for you)
Just had a look at the new website definitely a retrograde step. Plenty of useful info on the old one, over and above their prices. Now everything is by contact.

Now it is owned by Westley Richards, maybe Nigel's personal enthusiasm has gone?

I understand that a new website is under preparation and will be launched quite soon. Mr Teague has lost none of his enthusiasm or his professionalism I assure you.

:fie:  What are you going to do about the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong birds :crazy:

A guy I shoot with has his krieghoff set a 1/4 &1/4. He never changes the chokes but doesn't struggles with the long stuff in the slightest. I don't know if any of you went to westfield a few weeks ago but the sport trap was set to a rather high standard. The B bird was a long crossing l/r at a minimum of 60 yards. I hit it once with 3/4 choke he hit it 4 times with 1/4 and there weren't just chipping they were good clear breaks, now he is a far better shot than me but it proved to me that you can shoot almost any clay wth 1/4 choke.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy I shoot with has his krieghoff set a 1/4 &1/4. He never changes the chokes but doesn't struggles with the long stuff in the slightest. I don't know if any of you went to westfield a few weeks ago but the sport trap was set to a rather high standard. The B bird was a long crossing l/r at a minimum of 60 yards. I hit it once with 3/4 choke he hit it 4 times with 1/4 and there weren't just chipping they were good clear breaks, now he is a far better shot than me but it proved to me that you can shoot almost any clay wth 1/4 choke.
That's an interesting point - I used to use 3/4 and 1/2, then came down to 1/2 and 1/4. 

At the behest of Mr Solomons, I've switched to 1/4, 1/4 - and to be honest I think my break rates have gone up.

I think many people choke too tight, I was certainly a 'bit macho' on it - having two barrels the same and taking that thought out of my mind is far better than 'ooh which barrel shall I use?' and has proved to me that I can comfortably, properly break things as far away as my ability allows with 1/4.

P

That's an interesting point - I used to use 3/4 and 1/2, then came down to 1/2 and 1/4. 

At the behest of Mr Solomons, I've switched to 1/4, 1/4 - and to be honest I think my break rates have gone up.

I think many people choke too tight, I was certainly a 'bit macho' on it - having two barrels the same and taking that thought out of my mind is far better than 'ooh which barrel shall I use?' and has proved to me that I can comfortably, properly break things as far away as my ability allows with 1/4.

P
Please......if you shoot game......don't use 1/4 and 1/4

I live about 10 minutes from teagues workshop, I had a chat with my local rfd about Mr teague selling up. Apparently he's contracted with them for the next 3 years, so there is no danger in quality dropping.

Krieghoff chokes do shoot very tight, the 1/4 will be around the 1/2 mark in reality but most probably have a similar issue

I live about 10 minutes from teagues workshop, I had a chat with my local rfd about Mr teague selling up. Apparently he's contracted with them for the next 3 years, so there is no danger in quality dropping.
Very real danger of prices of going up though! All this XYZ 1/4 is too tight malarky probably means your using the wrong carts.......

I have been desperately trying not to respond to this thread because it will probably mess with my head. But here goes......

According to the majority I will have just ruined my MX8 that until a few days ago was 3/4 & full. It has now been Briley multi choked although I haven't got it back yet.

The reason I went down this route is because besides most of my pigeon shooting (for which I use my Beretta Extrema 2 ) I want to use the same gun for everything else. Any clay discipline I choose to shoot and any game shooting at varying quarry and at very varying venues. The only way I thought I could achieve this was to have it multi choked and following alot of consultation I came down on the side of Briley's (apparently Holland & Holland and Purdey use them so can't be wrong; or so I was led to believe ).

My misguided mind has also decided on the following chokes; skeet, light modified, ported modified, modified, ported improved modified, improved modified and full. I will probably use mod x mod most of all but imp mod x imp mod for FITASC sporting. I have duplicated the two chokes with one ported to use in the bottom barrel (non selective trigger group ) when using the same chokes in an attempt to reduce muzzle flip.

from a poor misguided fool

Dick Arbon

Back