ported barrels

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRINITY

Hi Guys
I have seen a gun for sale with factory ported barrels. Something I know little about benefits wise. Just wondering if it detracts from the guns value or is it of no consequence.
Gun is a perazzi and the porting is factory fitted

Generally considered to have been a passing phase but they are still out there, a mate of mine has one but it doesn't improve his aim ;)

I don't know if it affects price but I wouldn't pay for something that might be construed as just a bit of a fad - unless the price was attractive.

I had ported barrels on my two Benelli Supersports. Supposedly to reduce muzzle flip,but I didn’t notice much difference.
Those either side of me did,with the increased noise.😂

Is there any discipline that don't allow ported barrels? Something I'm not exactly sure on is rules
Most certainly some of the Olympic Trap disciplines, I'm not sure about the Skeet. I recently bought a gun with ported barrels, it was made in the late 80's when they were 'in vogue' ? When I first got the gun it smacked me in the face something wicked, having now tinkered with the fit of the gun, any felt recoil is almost eliminated. Whether the ported barrels contributed to that in any way, I don't know, but I do know that for an 8lbs. gun, it is a joy to shoot.

I own a US version 725 with ports and a US version 425 without ports. I notice no difference in sound report or recoil between the two. Both are 12 gauge/bore and have 32” barrels.

I was offered 2 guns recently that were beautiful and in great condition but as soon as I noticed the ported barrels was an instant no.

Most certainly some of the Olympic Trap disciplines, I'm not sure about the Skeet. I recently bought a gun with ported barrels, it was made in the late 80's when they were 'in vogue' ? When I first got the gun it smacked me in the face something wicked, having now tinkered with the fit of the gun, any felt recoil is almost eliminated. Whether the ported barrels contributed to that in any way, I don't know, but I do know that for an 8lbs. gun, it is a joy to shoot.
Ported barrels were banned for use in the Olympic disciplines. However, they've been approved for use for quite a number of years subject to certain conditions such as the porting being done by the manufacturer and distance of the porting back from the muzzles.

I felt resale would be hard. I usually don't keep guns for that long and expected to get roasted when I would try and trade back in.
The gun that I have bought, which has ported barrels, is a keeper. It will NOT be my problem if, and when, it goes for sale ! 😊

Don’t know if you shoot any disciplines like sportrap but with ported barrels it’s very noisy for the people standing next to you and can cause some antagonism.

Is there any discipline that don't allow ported barrels? Something I'm not exactly sure on is rules
I had ported barrels on my two Benelli Supersports. Supposedly to reduce muzzle flip,but I didn’t notice much difference.
Those either side of me did,with the increased noise.😂
I have the Supersport World Cup now without the ported barrel.. and can notice no perceivable difference between it and the Standard Supersport with a ported barrel that I used for 8yrs previous... with regards to noise and muzzle flip.

There’s no difference in report, I and some friends tested it with a decibel meter. For guns we used my Browning 725 Pro Sporting (US version of the Prosport) with ports and my Citori CXS (US version of the 425 Crossover) without ports. Both guns are 12ga/bore with 32” barrels. Test was on a trap range with the meter on the station next to the shooter. We even put painters tape over the ports and the tape stayed put and didn’t blow off.

Briley in USA are still offering to port your existing barrels for $125 for one, or $200 for both. They do not have the same proofing laws as here, so the barrels would not need a reproof.

I had a Beretta 687 sporter ported by GunMark in the 1980s .. they offered a porting and long forcing cone conversion when these things were a fad . A bugger to clean and to be fair made no difference whatsoever, but I’ve always been a tinkerer :p

There’s no difference in report, I and some friends tested it with a decibel meter. For guns we used my Browning 725 Pro Sporting (US version of the Prosport) with ports and my Citori CXS (US version of the 425 Crossover) without ports. Both guns are 12ga/bore with 32” barrels. Test was on a trap range with the meter on the station next to the shooter. We even put painters tape over the ports and the tape stayed put and didn’t blow off.
My mate Eric's ported gun is louder, I take a step or two backwards when scoring for him

Latest posts

Back