TO BEAD OR NOT TO BEAD

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be getting a sense of deja vu...............................

Perhaps this has been done before, but to many people, new starters especially, this can be confusing... (including old farts like me:)

I for one, understand the logic, but the practice doesn't work,  why? 

I cant put it into words in a way that make sense,  but for me i need a POR point of reference to work out where i am in relation to the clay.

Simply saying you should be pointing at the clay dosen't work, because you have to give lead, and to give lead means you have to move

your reference point away from the target,  

Once i loose the reference between bead and clay it becomes difficult, 

does that make sense?

:santa:

If you have a mid bead and an end bead then what you should see if you dry mount the gun is a figure of eight made by the two beads.  The front bead being slightly higher than the mid bead to make the figure of eight.  Practice your "dry" mount at home indoors and swing so that you can preserve this figure of eight throughout and to generate muscle memory.

Out in the field you have to look for the clay and focus solely on the clay but you will be able to see the figure of eight in your peripheral vision so that you can give the clay the right lead as you think it should be.  If the figure of eight is not there or is skewed then your gun mount is not the same each time and you will have misses due to incorrect gun mount rather than incorrect lead or incorrect assessment of the angle and speed of the target.

Remember that the gun is your tennis racket and you would not look at that when trying to hit a tennis ball would you?  You eyes should be focussed on the tennis ball and your brain tells your body how to move to hit the ball.

Makes perfect sense to me, i have spent many hours analysing the bead issue and especially the awareness thereof. Never been able to come to a conclusion though !

Perhaps this has been done before, but to many people, new starters especially, this can be confusing... (including old farts like me:)

I cant put it into words in a way that make sense,  but for me i need a POR point of reference to work out where i am in relation to the clay.

Simply saying you should be pointing at the clay dosen't work, because you have to give lead, and to give lead means you have to move

does that make sense?

You just look at where you want the shot to go if you are giving conscious lead. If shooting trap, most will get the lead from the speed if the gun swing. Some people give conscious lead but others don't, to them it feels as though they shoot straight at the target. Its all down to hand/coordination and the subconscious mind! It's like Robert says, you dint look at the racket when you hit a tennis ball!

Ps sorry for typo's, too many thumbs and dodgey spell checker!

Last edited by a moderator:

does that make sense?

Do you shoot with one eye closed?

If you have a mid bead and an end bead then what you should see if you dry mount the gun is a figure of eight made by the two beads.  The front bead being slightly higher than the mid bead to make the figure of eight.  Practice your "dry" mount at home indoors and swing so that you can preserve this figure of eight throughout and to generate muscle memory.

Out in the field you have to look for the clay and focus solely on the clay but you will be able to see the figure of eight in your peripheral vision so that you can give the clay the right lead as you think it should be.  If the figure of eight is not there or is skewed then your gun mount is not the same each time and you will have misses due to incorrect gun mount rather than incorrect lead or incorrect assessment of the angle and speed of the target.

Remember that the gun is your tennis racket and you would not look at that when trying to hit a tennis ball would you?  You eyes should be focussed on the tennis ball and your brain tells your body how to move to hit the ball.
Looks like it dosen't work for me,  if i focus hard on the clay, i loose any perspective anywhere else,  I have no POR

if its an incomer or i can keep the bead relatively close to the clay then im fine. other wise i need a POR to work out lead

and i think that's where i struggle

Looks like it dosen't work for me, if i focus hard on the clay, i loose any perspective anywhere else, I have no POR

if its an incomer or i can keep the bead relatively close to the clay then im fine. other wise i need a POR to work out lead

and i think that's where i struggle

The size of the clay should give you some perspective of the distance and the lead required. This is why midis can be difficult as they give a perception of being fast and far away when they aren't actually. You may find it's something that comes to you in time, I used to bead everything then one day I just subconsciously kept both eyes open and stared into the air infront of the clay, still Don't know how or why it happened, but I did and my shooting is better for it.

In the commonwealth games some shooters used white tape at the end of their barrels.
I'm assuming their beads weren't big enough?!?!
;-)
That was only Skeet shooters, gives them a sort of muzzle awareness I think.

tiroVesti seamless performance clothing.

Wonder why skeet shooters need all that muzzle awareness and yet us trappies talk about never looking at the bead ?

They were Olympic Skeet shooters who have one hand on their hip and look away from the end of their barrels.

Keep the bead on, if you can see it you are not giving lead, and will miss behind. Its all in the mind!

Wonder why skeet shooters need all that muzzle awareness and yet us trappies talk about never looking at the bead ?
I think it's the gun up thing, trappies have to work hard not to look at it, because it's growing from your eye on the end of a black stick saying look at me! Olympic Skeet shooters have to insert theirs into the picture at speed whilst moving it to the kill point, and some barely get their eye anywhere near alignment, so maybe some like to see where it is in peripheral.

tiroVesti seamless performance clothing.

In the commonwealth games some shooters used white tape at the end of their barrels.

I'm assuming their beads weren't big enough?!?!

;-)
George Achilleos has white tape on the end of the barrel so he is aware of the gun on dark backgrounds. I shoot Olympic skeet and shoot with a bead as i like having it in my peripheral vision as Jake said.

Latest posts

Back