Pilla prescription inserts

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemen14

Hi

I've recently had a set of prescription inserts made by Specsavers for my Pilla X6 top gun glasses but have found these not very good and intend on returning them.

Where have people had their lenses made and been happy with the outcome?

I know there's the possibility of using Ed Lyons and by no stretch of the imagination do I think he's a rip off because his knowledge is probably the best in the business but unfortunately my budget will not stretch that far.

TIA

Last edited:
Hi

I've recently had a set of prescription inserts made by Specsavers but have found these not very good and intend on returning them.

Where have people had their lenses made and been happy with the outcome?

I know there's the possibility of using Ed Lyons and by no stretch of the imagination do I think he's a rip off because his knowledge is probably the best in the business but unfortunately my budget will not stretch that far.

TIA
Inserts for what? I use Specsavers sunglasses frames and am happy as anything. I’ve tried almost everything else btw.

I had inserts done for my Pilla’s and was very disappointed with them. They are plastic and the clarity was not clear at all. That was done via an independent optician, purchased another insert and had them done at a well known high street opticians and result was the same. I ended up ditching the inserts, selling the lenses and going back to Rangers. Ranger inserts are glass and the clarity much superior in my opinion, but others may differ. I also found with the Pilla inserts they “touched” the lenses and I was frightened they would scratch them. When I asked Pilla about inserts touching the lens I was told “yeah, that happens but you cannot see it when shooting” 🤣🤣

Have just had a very thorough eye test with Specsaves funnily enough and my prescription has hardly changed so I’m not bothering to change my shooting glasses but I did ask about their safety glasses which Will often talks about and was quite impressed with the knowledge of the young lad I spoke to, they even said if took my shooting frames in they maybe able to fit lenses in them. I think next time I have to order shooting glasses that’s the route I’ll go down.

A friend of ours had the same problem with the Pilla inserts and ended up getting glasses done via the optician at Bisley (or very near there) and ended up getting 3 pairs of different coloured glasses for almost the price of one Pilla lense.

I had inserts done for my Pilla’s and was very disappointed with them. They are plastic and the clarity was not clear at all. That was done via an independent optician, purchased another insert and had them done at a well known high street opticians and result was the same. I ended up ditching the inserts, selling the lenses and going back to Rangers. Ranger inserts are glass and the clarity much superior in my opinion, but others may differ. I also found with the Pilla inserts they “touched” the lenses and I was frightened they would scratch them. When I asked Pilla about inserts touching the lens I was told “yeah, that happens but you cannot see it when shooting” 🤣🤣

Have just had a very thorough eye test with Specsaves funnily enough and my prescription has hardly changed so I’m not bothering to change my shooting glasses but I did ask about their safety glasses which Will often talks about and was quite impressed with the knowledge of the young lad I spoke to, they even said if took my shooting frames in they maybe able to fit lenses in them. I think next time I have to order shooting glasses that’s the route I’ll go down.

A friend of ours had the same problem with the Pilla inserts and ended up getting glasses done via the optician at Bisley (or very near there) and ended up getting 3 pairs of different coloured glasses for almost the price of one Pilla lense.
It's the lenses themselves that are giving me the problem, it's been a very long and arduous process and I'm a bit fed up with it all. It's been going on since September 🤬

It's the lenses themselves that are giving me the problem, it's been a very long and arduous process and I'm a bit fed up with it all. It's been going on since September 🤬
It’s so annoying, you pay a lot of money for these things and when you need help etc no one wants to do anything.

Always had my X6 inserts done by All Eyes, just outside of Cambridge. Been more than happy with their service.

Have you tried contact lenses? I tried inserts albeit not in Pilla glasses and did not like them at all so was persuaded to try contact lenses and they have been the answer for me.

Have you tried contact lenses? I tried inserts albeit not in Pilla glasses and did not like them at all so was persuaded to try contact lenslles and they have been the answer for me.
Contact lenses is now my option.

Ed Lyons called me this afternoon to offer his time without any sales pitch or looking to make a quick profit. He simply guided me through my options and offered his advice, the most cost effective was to go back to my opticians and try contacts as he couldn't see a reason why contacts would be the best option.

Due to the nature of the prescription required with it being either plus or minus 3 it does not work with the curved lense that any of the outlaw series have, so in essence it's either contacts or change kit completely and take the hit on them.

What a guy and a real genuine conversation, yes it is true with what people say when they say he is the best in the business.

Possibly the most genuine???

Ed Lyons called me this afternoon to offer his time without any sales pitch or looking to make a quick profit. He simply guided me through my options and offered his advice, the most cost effective was to go back to my opticians and try contacts as he couldn't see a reason why contacts would be the best option.

Due to the nature of the prescription required with it being either plus or minus 3 it does not work with the curved lense that any of the outlaw series have, so in essence it's either contacts or change kit completely and take the hit on them.

What a guy and a real genuine conversation, yes it is true with what people say when they say he is the best in the business.

Ed L is a nice guy and very helpful I found. He did try and get me to look at contacts when I saw him. My own fears stopped me..

I just had laser ops some 30 plus years ago.........Best thing I ever did.
Wish I was brave enough! Can tolerate most things in life but anything to do with eyes and I just go weak at the knees! Would solve a whole load of problems though.

Wish I was brave enough! Can tolerate most things in life but anything to do with eyes and I just go weak at the knees! Would solve a whole load of problems though.
At least YOU can not see what is going on ! 😂
Actually what was far worse, was a detached retina that I suffered a few years ago. The surgery on that was the most uncomfortable experience that I have ever endured. It was horrible. However, I did manage to lighten the mood in the recovery room. Of course it was impossible to drive after this surgery, and 1 guy in recovery was getting really uptight that his 'lift' was late. I told him I would give him a lift. After a few minutes of him lecturing me on the follies of driving after surgery, I explained that my Labrador would be sitting in the front passenger seat, but that his reversing was not too hot. By now the remainder of the recovery room have see through the wind up and are falling about laughing ! Lightened the mood somewhat.

Ed L is a nice guy and very helpful I found. He did try and get me to look at contacts when I saw him. My own fears stopped me..
I just couldn't live with contact lenses. I tried them for over12 months. However, when one was 'blown' out when I was out on the marsh, with no way of cleaning it or putting it back, having eventually found it. That was enough.

Make sure you hydrate well with contact lenses or they will stick to your eyes!

Used contacts for years with no issues. Then health changed, medication prescribed and noticed my lenses were sticking more than usual. Had one horrendous day (after a few beers night before) and now I'm on prescription inserts.

The modern contact lenses are much much better than those anyone would have tried 10 years ago. One day lenses are also convenient and can allow for the correction of an astigmatism. They are not perfect and getting them quickly in & out is an art not science. Many (all when I looked) of the 'shooting' frames have a limit to the strength of lenses they will take without silly money being spent on high index, light weight, lenses. In any event high index lenses distort if off center - often the case as we maintain our head at the hold point and look back to the target. Contact lenses may have their problems but for shooting they may be the only solution.

Back