Titanium chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

Has anybody on here got experience of titanium chokes?

Due to my Blaser having much heavier new barrels fitted, I’ve ordered some Teague Ti flush chokes, so there is a big weight saving (over extended steel) of 42g that will almost restore the handling feel to that of my old barrel set up. I’m not a big titanium fan (in my industry) as it’s not a miracle material, although is very light if used somewhere that it’s properties allow. 

Basically I’m interested to know if the threads remain ok and the chokes don’t actually wear out. This would just be worst case fears and I can only imagine that Teague must be happy with them. 

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely , today I’m taking my standby gun out, as my Miroku is in for service . It’s a K80 , I shot it for nigh on 15 years probably 100k shells ,  with Krieghoff Ti extended chokes .  So I’ve just had a look at the choke  threads , they seem fine , seat properly , stay tight . Obviously  I don’t have any gauges . I’ve just screwed in one of the original steel chokes in lieu of a plug gauge to check the barrel threads  , it seems fine .   I use ceramic brake grease on the threads  mostly for what it’s worth .  I’ve not tested the patterns with this gun ever , so I can’t comment on the Internal wear . 

I have titanium chokes fro my 682 Gold. They are fine. I understand they are softer than steel so no damage to the barrel and then harder than lead so no damage from the shot. Not sure about steel sot however.

I have has not issues with them working loose though I always use a single layer of PTFE tape to stop that happening.

Those blazer chokes must be very heavy - titanium is 5/8th the weight of steel so it not a big weight saving.

I ended up using the standard spectrum chokes for the opposite reason.

if they wear out then replace them ?

I have titanium chokes fro my 682 Gold. They are fine. I understand they are softer than steel so no damage to the barrel and then harder than lead so no damage from the shot. Not sure about steel sot however.

I have has not issues with them working loose though I always use a single layer of PTFE tape to stop that happening.

Those blazer chokes must be very heavy - titanium is 5/8th the weight of steel so it not a big weight saving.

I ended up using the standard spectrum chokes for the opposite reason.

if they wear out then replace them ?
Yeah sure, if they wear I will. I’ll measure them before fitting. I’m going from extended steel to flush Ti, so smaller and a lighter material, hence the big difference 

I had a K80 in 2006. Come to think of it, that had titanium chokes? Aren’t they standard?
£150 a pop now for factory extras   , mine is an oldie , but lovely,  Dural action gun , so you only get half herniated carrying it . They were steel when that gun was made eons ago . The action says “ West Germany “ . 

Has anybody on here got experience of titanium chokes?

Due to my Blaser having much heavier new barrels fitted, I’ve ordered some Teague Ti flush chokes, so there is a big weight saving (over extended steel) of 42g that will almost restore the handling feel to that of my old barrel set up. I’m not a big titanium fan (in my industry) as it’s not a miracle material, although is very light if used somewhere that it’s properties allow. 

Basically I’m interested to know if the threads remain ok and the chokes don’t actually wear out. This would just be worst case fears and I can only imagine that Teague must be happy with them. 

TIA
I’ve had titanium chokes in my Krieghoff K80 since 2007. I’d estimate I’ve put upwards of 50.000 shells through them. Both the choke wall and threads are like new although they’re cleaned every time the gun’s used.

Unless you abuse them I doubt you’ll find longevity a problem. Whether you notice any discernible difference in gun handling or performance is another matter.

Briley titanium full an 3/4   in a dt11  6years+ I'd guess.  Never take them out no issues 

It is perhaps a bigger deal on sporting, where there is more movement, but 42g at the muzzle is a big deal for me. I removed one choke and -35g pretty much made the gun feel right.
Not really. I shoot plenty of skeet and you'll struggle to find a target that requires more rapid barrel acceleration than a low 8. I used to shoot extended steel Teague chokes before the Krieghoff's lighter weight offerings. Sure, there was a difference in overall gun handling but the difference in the weight of the chokes was not at all perceptible.

I completely understand a switch from a comfort point of view. Don't think it'll make any performance difference though. 

Russia is a major exporter of Titanium. Buy them now before a price increase.

Chokes arrived today, despite Teague saying not in stock and would need manufacturing, which they did next day! Fitted to the gun. Quite a big step up in diameter where they seat in the barrel, but that’s Teague being certain that the chokes don’t snag the wad it seems. Will shoot on Saturday. 

Well they certainly made a big difference to me. Whizzed past the first clay of the day today and had to really reduce my input to control barrel speed. Early days for preference. Certainly helped me on a couple of fiddly targets. Maybe a bit less stable on others. Need to acclimatise. 

After much deliberation and trial and error I finally settled on 1 X titanium & 1 X steel teague flush 3/8th chokes in my 32" professional barrel's ( new heavier style )

Ive found 2 X titanium to be too vague and 2 X steels to be slightly to slow on driven target's. 

I've probably spent 12 months tweaking the weight system on the gun to finally arrive at the combination of the above choke, 2.5 cylinder weights directly behind the grip / action and one small barrel weight I've cut down at the very front of the fore arm , going to leave it now!

After much deliberation and trial and error I finally settled on 1 X titanium & 1 X steel teague flush 3/8th chokes in my 32" professional barrel's ( new heavier style )

Ive found 2 X titanium to be too vague and 2 X steels to be slightly to slow on driven target's. 

I've probably spent 12 months tweaking the weight system on the gun to finally arrive at the combination of the above choke, 2.5 cylinder weights directly behind the grip / action and one small barrel weight I've cut down at the very front of the fore arm , going to leave it now!
Interesting to hear. I also have concluded that two Titanium flush make the gun too “vague” (good description). I’ve gone back to extended Brileys and will just leave and learn now. But if I wanted to chuck more money at it I’d try a pair of steel flush which is probably perfect for me, but it’s all getting into a blur of tiny detail and mind games at this point.

Back