Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine that the barrels with the chokes up to 1/2 are tested for steel, and marked up accordingly. Most of the advice for steel is no more than 1/2 choke. Steel proofing is done at a much higher pressure than just for lead. You have to request the proofing for steel or it will only be done for lead. I don't think steel on steel comes into it, as far as I'm aware steel cartridges are still plas wad, and nobody makes fibre steel. As for chokes in the gun for proofing I would imagine so. 

That's going to be an expensive route. Far cheaper to just buy another gun.
Not necessarily.  You don't need to be Rocafeller or a Depp. A consultation fof this type of dispute and letter shouldn't break the bank.  It doesn't need a team of leading Barristers. 

I had to look into this recently. It's a long story but I too though it was going to be not worth the cost,  Once I found out it was actually quite reasonable it was the obvious next step.

If you have no chance or being unreasonable they will tell you. It's amassing how effective these letters are if you have a case and the other side is being obstructive or avasive. 

My final comment on this 😄

The OP knows he has looked after his gun properly and that the chokes were in good condition and screwed into the gun properly but for some reason one of the chokes failed. He has received a report that essentially says nothing other than all the things that he could have done wrong and, from my interpretation, implies the gun has not been clean... the only reason they removed and photographed the undamaged choke, that part of the report is laughable. I would like to know what remit the "expert" was given by Teague when they commissioned the report.

I can fully understand the position of the OP he is left with a set of barrels that would need a lot of work to make them fit for use. He has every right to feel he has had a loss but despite this does he want to take things further to try to prove the failure was not due to anything he had done but a fault with the choke that did fail?  It would cost a lot of money and may  ultimately leave him out of pocket. So I would say go to the gun insurers and explain the loss to them and try to get some money to replace the barrels from them. Finally if you want a gun that comes with movable chokes buy a gun that has them factory fitted by the manufacturer.

My final comment on this 😄

The OP knows he has looked after his gun properly and that the chokes were in good condition and screwed into the gun properly but for some reason one of the chokes failed. He has received a report that essentially says nothing other than all the things that he could have done wrong and, from my interpretation, implies the gun has not been clean... the only reason they removed and photographed the undamaged choke, that part of the report is laughable. I would like to know what remit the "expert" was given by Teague when they commissioned the report.

I can fully understand the position of the OP he is left with a set of barrels that would need a lot of work to make them fit for use. He has every right to feel he has had a loss but despite this does he want to take things further to try to prove the failure was not due to anything he had done but a fault with the choke that did fail?  It would cost a lot of money and may  ultimately leave him out of pocket. So I would say go to the gun insurers and explain the loss to them and try to get some money to replace the barrels from them. Finally if you want a gun that comes with movable chokes buy a gun that has them factory fitted by the manufacturer.
100% agree with the above,otherwise why buy insurance. But TBH I would have done this in the first place, if only to find out how the insurers react to the gun being altered. Assuming of course, it was insured before being modded.

Deleted, video of it being sent to Teagues, not at range

Last edited by a moderator:
100% agree with the above,otherwise why buy insurance. But TBH I would have done this in the first place, if only to find out how the insurers react to the gun being altered. Assuming of course, it was insured before being modded.
That would have been my first course of action, insurance. See what they had to say. Might just have been able to save all this grief. But as Robden says was this gun insured as unmodified?

Please find attached our report and findings of what may have caused or contributed to the damage to your barrels.
Nuff said. Not "the report by independent expert X", but theirs. Hence, the bold assumption that all be operator error. 

I'd like to see the measurements of the dia of the chokes compered to the machined bore and the depth compered to the length of the chokes in that report 
I agree and it's been mentioned a few pages back. That would be one of the things an independent expert would look at, if he/she's worth their salt. Funny if thats omitted from the present report... 

Not sure how they would assist a repair like that, unless you get new barrels and they'll re teague them at a reduced cost to you
The make chokes which are threaded to to the barrel therefore it must be possible for them to cut and extend these barrels surely like an extended fixed choke? They pride themselves on being precision engineers this cannot be beyond them. I think it would come down to cost and practicality.

I know I said my last comment was my last but I could not help myself 😄

Actually yes, this is what I had by email along with the attachment:

Dear Anthony,Sorry to have received your damaged barrels with our multi choke system fitted. Please find attached our report and findings of what may have caused or contributed to the damage to your barrels. There will be a hard copy of the report following in the post.If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact us.We value each and every one of our customers and we are happy to assist with repair work to your damage barrels.
Hi Ants, have you tried asking how much they would assist with repair work and at who's cost?

Dont think there is a viable option to repair those barrels , a new set would probably make financial sence , but there again compared to a good second hand mk38 trap would that even be worth while , suprised teagues havent taken a better approach considering their customer relations in the long term the financial outlay would be tiny in comparison (I would have thought).

other options to replace (either barrels or complete gun)with factory multichoke is the 525 trap one, or totally differant price range the ultra in various guises.

re the state of the choke,i just dont get that ? my mk3800(bought very second hand) also thin wall teagues , I rarely change them, but check every few stands they are tight , yet after 500 or so cartridges they come out and are cleaned ...well saying that they arent dirty ,just thorough clean , including bore section ,re greased (wipe on wipe off) then re fitted.  Just cant believe the state of the one shown removed in the pics .

Dont think there is a viable option to repair those barrels , a new set would probably make financial sence , but there again compared to a good second hand mk38 trap would that even be worth while , suprised teagues havent taken a better approach considering their customer relations in the long term the financial outlay would be tiny in comparison (I would have thought).

other options to replace (either barrels or complete gun)with factory multichoke is the 525 trap one, or totally differant price range the ultra in various guises.

re the state of the choke,i just dont get that ? my mk3800(bought very second hand) also thin wall teagues , I rarely change them, but check every few stands they are tight , yet after 500 or so cartridges they come out and are cleaned ...well saying that they arent dirty ,just thorough clean , including bore section ,re greased (wipe on wipe off) then re fitted.  Just cant believe the state of the one shown removed in the pics .
Agreed,there`s a rabbit away with that choke somewhere along the line! I only have factory m/c guns and see a similar substance on the shoulder of chokes where they seat which I attribute to powder blow by but to get it up the full length of the choke there must be something wrong somewhere.

my final thought , Teague have missed a opportunity to score some brownie points regarding this , particularly as its been debated on this forum  ,  thanks ant for sharing this , i wish it had a happier ending ,   wonder if people will think twice before using teague ?    my xs pro came with browning titanium chokes  , i would like to believe i would get better service  in the same situation .   

my final thought , Teague have missed a opportunity to score some brownie points regarding this , particularly as its been debated on this forum  ,  thanks ant for sharing this , i wish it had a happier ending ,   wonder if people will think twice before using teague ?    my xs pro came with browning titanium chokes  , i would like to believe i would get better service  in the same situation .   
Firstly I really doubt any other company would have done different ... it is just the way it is. The Browning chokes are as said made by another firm but very importantly are of a better design in the first place. The other thing is that I would be willing to bet there will be more meat on the Browning movable choke design barrel after cutting to take the choke than will be on a fixed choke gun cut to go movable.

Think I was one of the first shooters to have Teague (Nigel) thin wall choke in one of my guns HSW Miroku trap ,gun , Teagues were a step up from the Winchoke at that time and had square threads , which were stronger ,Nigel advised me to keep both parties clean and oiled/greased lightly at regular cleaning intervals, so to me that meant after each shooting outing ?? takes 2-3 minutes , ??? think chokes are Stainless and often condensate in situ , with temperature changes ? rust will form in a barrel in days, if not oiled ? ( bare this in mind while we are in lock down )  we used to joke when lazy gun cleaners used to change their chokes , often struggling to remove them ,and seeing them dirty with the dreaded Orange oil ...ie rust , keep  em clean ??

the OP stated he cleaned and used teague supplied grease previous night ,and showed pics of his other chokes ,all imaculate and kept cased.

the OP stated he cleaned and used teague supplied grease previous night ,and showed pics of his other chokes ,all imaculate and kept cased.
The only choke in that video not shown nice and shiny clean was the one in the top barrel, that was shown to be dirty in the report, when removed ??

From the very start and even first pictures things don't seem to ring true to me.

The only choke in that video not shown nice and shiny clean was the one in the top barrel, that was shown to be dirty in the report, when removed ??

From the very start and even first pictures things don't seem to ring true to me.
What exactly do you mean by that? 

Edit - Whilst your observation is correct, I think you’ve missed the point and overall inference.

Back